PDA

View Full Version : Nu Finish

sphell
03-25-2013, 06:35 PM
I know ill probably get hammered for even mentioning this, but I've got an old bottle of Nu Finish. :/

Is it good for anything or should I throw it in the bin? I did a search and couldn't find much on it, some said its a paint sealer?

Would it be worth using with a coat of wax over the top?

yakky
03-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Depends on how old it is. Some of the older formulations have a lot of abrasives. Anything produced in the last 5 years is pretty decent. Protection and durability are going to be hard to beat. Looks are rather lackluster. It also needs to cure for a while without moisture, so don't apply it right before dark or on a rainy day. It actually really likes sun after application.

Dogfather
03-25-2013, 11:53 PM
I know ill probably get hammered for even mentioning this, but I've got an old bottle of Nu Finish. :/

Is it good for anything or should I throw it in the bin? I did a search and couldn't find much on it, some said its a paint sealer?

I have an old bottle. I use it on my DD door jambs. I also use it on my TORO Super Recycler after its spring OC. I used to use it on my plastic snow shovel as well, but this winter I upgraded to Duragloss 111.

Andr3wilson
03-25-2013, 11:58 PM
Don't throw these things away!

^ like previously mentioned they can be used on non-automotive stuff. For example, from my non detailing days I had 2-3 bottles of Autoglym Super Resin Polish AIO (i don't need anything like it). I use it on all my bathroom surfaces, works great!

Again use it on your lawnmower, snowblower, anything that has paint!

Setec Astronomy
03-26-2013, 05:28 AM
I use my old products like that on painted patio furniture and on the aluminum exterior cladding on my windows and doors.

SON1C
03-26-2013, 07:05 AM
Wax my painted wooden furniture with it lol

vet
03-26-2013, 07:12 AM
I think I've got an old bottle of it too, it's got to be 25 years old, at least.

Mike Phillips
03-26-2013, 07:16 AM

Nu Finish is a one-step cleaner/wax. For "Joe Average" it will get the job done, by that I mean if they have a neglected car and they rub this on they will see a visual improvement that tells them the product performed as advertised. Last time I did the

"Smell Test"

It had the smell of Stoddard solvents which is the type of solvent used in "Parts Cleaners" at auto repair shops.

Older versions, if I remember correctly did contain some type of abrasives in them that were not clear coat friendly, I think most modern retail cleaner/waxes have gotten away from these types of abrasive but be careful if using any mass merchandise cleaner/wax on a scratch-sensitive clear coat on a car that' important to you.

At a minimum, do a Test Spot.

How To Do a Test Spot (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/50162-how-do-test-spot.html)
(and why it's so important)

Like others said, it's great for door jambs, lawn mowers, etc.

I cover one-step cleaner/waxes in-depth in this article...

The Difference Between a Cleaner/Wax and a Finishing Wax (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-difference-between-cleaner-wax-finishing-wax.html)
Subtitle: How To Choose The Right Wax or Paint Sealant for your Detailing Project

:)

swanicyouth
03-26-2013, 07:31 AM

Toss it in the garbage is my vote. I can still here that guys voice from the 70s on TV "Nu-Finish, the once a year car polish"..."and it still beads"...

http://youtu.be/2jG64Q9yOjg

Those are some loose beads.

And... 14 years later, the scripts hasn't changed and the beads haven't either.

http://youtu.be/3EvRFY6BTFY

Who dressed this guy in all brown???

And don't forget NuVinyl from 1972

http://youtu.be/Eh9Pa8IENlk

ihaveacamaro
03-26-2013, 08:06 AM
I've used and liked it. It's a cleaner and sealant that lasts for 4 to 5 months.

BTLew81
03-26-2013, 09:49 AM
I used it last year as my winter LSP. Honestly, on a lighter colored car it wasn't bad at all. It's a little "bright," but it looked decent topped with UQW. Most of all, it lasted. I really cant say anything bad about it...really. Not your top of the line boutique product, but it will get the job done.

yakky
03-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Most of all, it lasted. I really cant say anything bad about it...really. Not your top of the line boutique product, but it will get the job done.

Yeah, its not like a lot of boutique products, it does last!:props:

WJinLV
03-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Great for getting off tar and other sticky substances.