PDA

View Full Version : Matte Black Single Stage question

Nate3420
03-24-2013, 08:30 PM
A buddy of mine asked me about his 1972 Mustang Mach1. He has a matte black single stage paint on his spoiler that is flawless other than his little brother put a finger print on it and the oil residue won't come out. My thinking would be to go a very light finishing polish with a pink cutting pad to remove the oil. But it would then need sealed but he doesn't want any shine at all. Would this process then using Blackfire crystal seal to protect it work alright because it doesn't really add a heavy shine on plastics or matte finishes. Any answers would help

AutoHeed
03-24-2013, 10:02 PM
I have a matte black car. Any kind of polishing will turn it shiny. Trust me. Scrubbing it with moderate pressure with MF towel will even make color change.

My suggestion is to spray with APC or dish soap on the spot and lightly agitate with softest brush you have. Rinse after. BF crystal does not add shine IMHO, so you're good to go :props:

Andr3wilson
03-24-2013, 10:08 PM
A buddy of mine asked me about his 1972 Mustang Mach1. He has a matte black single stage paint on his spoiler that is flawless other than his little brother put a finger print on it and the oil residue won't come out. My thinking would be to go a very light finishing polish with a pink cutting pad to remove the oil. But it would then need sealed but he doesn't want any shine at all. Would this process then using Blackfire crystal seal to protect it work alright because it doesn't really add a heavy shine on plastics or matte finishes. Any answers would help

do not not not not not not not take ANY polish to a matte finish!! It may not make it shiny, but it WILL alter the sheen and be even worse.

I have the displeasure of detailing matte finished cars quite a bit, now you need a special shampoo and detailing stuff to go along with it. A good matte finish soap breaks down all grime and oils, but is LSP safe.

I never cheap out and go straight to swissvax opaque (literally the best of the best), but because it is a small piece I would save money and use CG Matte Car bath and wash the entire car with that. Any soap that has a wash & wax or a glossifying agent in it will streak the matte paint. You can use matte shampoos on normal paint no problem, I have done it in the past.

Now for sealing BF Crystal Seal will not work. It may not change the gloss on plastic, but it was not designed for matte paint systems. Use a product made for matte paint systems!

You do have a few options thankfully!

Starting with the best and most incredible is Swissvax opaque wax. You can buy a 50ml jar to save $$. This is the only wax in the world designed for matte finishes and will not streak or change the gloss.

Now the second option is to use dr beasleys matte paint sealant. I have not used it, but from what I have seen it works very well at a reasonable price.

Now final option is to use CG Matte Detailer. Now this product is not a sealant, but it does add a layer of protection. For future care I would use this on all matte parts of the car. You can also use the SV opaque detailer but again that is an expensive option that I don't even use on my clients cars.

Hope this helps!

Whatsvtec
03-25-2013, 10:11 AM
+1 for Swissvax Opaque. I've taken some oily smudges out of matte finish paints with this wax. The level of protection, beading/sheeting and added looks are incredible. The wax leaves an even depth and sheen, without adding any gloss.

+1 for CG's Meticulous Matte as well. Great qd with UV inhibitors as well.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

vegas911gts
03-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Andrew, how is the cg matte shampoo? I want to know how good it suds up. I want to use it in a pressure bottle and foam my car without having to buy a foamaster (uses too much water) or foam cannon (too expensive).