PDA

View Full Version : How to get more miles per gallon out of your vehicle?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

klumzypinoy
05-15-2007, 02:03 AM
How can I get more miles per gallon from my vehicle? Right now I just check my tires to see if they're good pressure, and every 6 months I put STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner. It says to add it to your tank every 6 months. What else can I do to get more MPG? My car's a 92' Galant btw. Pretty old.

soonermike
05-15-2007, 04:48 AM
is it an auto or manual? I used to push in the clutch going downhill...

Grimm
05-15-2007, 06:55 AM
Make sure the car is tuned up (air filter, spark plugs, front end aligned, etc.). And use cruise control (if equipped) as much as possible. And if you drive on the highway, go the speed limit. I think the optimum speed for best mileage is 60-65 MPH. I used to drive about 79-80 on the highway on my commute to work and found I got an extra MPG by just dropping down to 75.

I don't know if it would help your car, but there is talk on the Bonneville forums that guys have cut out parts of the air filter box and gained a couple MPG on the highway due to increased air flow. Some people are also of the opinion that using synthetic oil will increase gas mileage due to less friction, but I switched mine over to synthetic in November and I don't think I've seen an increase.

Totoland Mach
05-15-2007, 07:21 AM
This is a great subject! I travel for business a lot and tried out a very simple rule for a week to see if it had an effect: I lowered my highway speed to 60 Mph and got a 20% increase in gas mileage. That's a lot of savings (approx. $0.60 per gallon if you want to look at it that way).

I even wrote to my legislatures and suggested all government vehicles (excluding public safety and ambulance) adhere to this rule...no response. Yet, they think that alternative fuels, etc are the answer.

Try out the "Drop 10 - Get 20" rule for a week and see if it works for you. Word of caution: some folks will climb on your bumper when you do this..

Toto

BILL
05-15-2007, 07:56 AM
This is a great subject! I travel for business a lot and tried out a very simple rule for a week to see if it had an effect: I lowered my highway speed to 60 Mph and got a 20% increase in gas mileage. That's a lot of savings (approx. $0.60 per gallon if you want to look at it that way).

I even wrote to my legislatures and suggested all government vehicles (excluding public safety and ambulance) adhere to this rule...no response. Yet, they think that alternative fuels, etc are the answer.

Try out the "Drop 10 - Get 20" rule for a week and see if it works for you. Word of caution: some folks will climb on your bumper when you do this..

Toto

GOOD TIP.....SLOW DOWN SAVE GAS.......:cheers:

chu
05-15-2007, 07:58 AM
I go with the aftemarket support.. I use a less restrictive K&N for my older cars. My 1996 Camry from 325/tank average to 375-380ish, and I always do 80 on the highway and long warm ups. When I drove to Altlanta from Philadelphia, I was easily gettin 425 to the tank. On the 03 IS300, I was getting 235-245 at max. I changed the intake to a K&N and used a SRT chip, increased 20hp, and got 295 to the tank. Both cars are auto.

Grimm
05-15-2007, 08:00 AM
I had that same experience last summer Toto. We went for a trip down to Indiana, and we took our SUV. It normally gets about 17 MPG on the highway driving about 75 MPH. On our trip we went with my parents, and I followed them and we only drove 60-65 most of the way, and I actually saw the computer get up over 20 MPG for the trip. I find it hard to go that slow though, especially when the speed limit here is 70.

Grimm
05-15-2007, 08:13 AM
A couple other things I remembered: Coast when stopping. Most people like to wait until as long as possible to stop. If you just coast more to slow down, you will use less gas and also save your brakes.

And another one is to learn lights. There is one section of our city I used to drive through on a daily basis. There are like 5 lights about 200 feet apart, and if you hit the first one red, you would end up stopping at every other light after that. I shortly found out that if I just stayed at or below the 30MPH speed limit, I could go through the rest of the lights without stopping. That there can be another huge gas saver.

ScottB
05-15-2007, 08:44 AM
GOOD TIP.....SLOW DOWN SAVE GAS.......:cheers:

I gotta cry WRONG !! Both of my cars have fuel readers, mileage left, and instantious fuel consumption readings. Even at 90 mph as long as locked at even speed the car gets better mileage than 60. Its the consistency that matters more than speed.

The biggest way to save gas, would be government to impose laws requiring traffic signals to work together versus against each other. The second biggest is to walk or bike for recreation versus driving to the local park or eateries. And finally use the correct gas. Better gas is not better if it makes the car work harder to consume it and obviously is a waste of addtl funds.

Russecu
05-15-2007, 09:03 AM
Even at 90 mph as long as locked at even speed the car gets better mileage than 60. Its the consistency that matters more than speed.
I think I understand this statement, but I think instead of mph we need to consider the rpm's we are running a certain speeds. Some cars are geared differently so at higher speeds some maybe running at either higher or lower rpms. Thus higher rpms means your car is working harder and is burning more fuel and vice versa for lower rpms. I feel its mostly about how much work your engine is having to do. Thats why I have my k&n intake and keep it clean to reduce extra work there, keep my oil changes up to date and I am switching to synthetic oil next oil change, and maintaining everything else. Also a properly polished and clean car can improve mileage.:D (dirt induces drag) And last of all Who likes getting passed? lol

ScottB
05-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Im glad you mentioned synthetic oil ... I truly dont like to push anything on anyone. That said, as a testimonial I have never to date (knocking on wood) had a significant motor repair. I consistently use Mobil 1 and high grade filters. I feel it worth the additional funds and SEEMS to help a motor run at its best or easiest. 12 years and counting ....

Russecu
05-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Im glad you mentioned synthetic oil ... I truly dont like to push anything on anyone. That said, as a testimonial I have never to date (knocking on wood) had a significant motor repair. I consistently use Mobil 1 and high grade filters. I feel it worth the additional funds and SEEMS to help a motor run at its best or easiest. 12 years and counting ....
Mobil 1 is still at the top of my list to be what I switch to. What filters do you recommend? I have heard Mobil 1, Wixx and can't remember the names of others.

P1et
05-15-2007, 09:19 AM
In my Cummins, I make sure I check the below for good mpg:

1) Tires correctly inflated
2) Clean fuel filter / air filter
3) Keep the rpms under 2,000 (which is about 68 mph)
4) Estimate traffic ahead so you don't have to slam on your breaks and then speed up again
5) Get in highest gear as soon as possible (and stay in it as long as possible)

And most important of all: keep it clean! All that dirt on the paint increases drag on your vehicle!!!

Totoland Mach
05-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Killrwheels: you bring up a good point. But, your car is probably more "air efficient" than a big, blocky SUV. I find that after 55-60 in a big vehicle that is not aerodynamic, you are punching through a lot of wind resistance. I think that's the reason for the 20% better mileage. Plus, the engine is not working harder.

Toto

chu
05-15-2007, 09:59 AM
Mobil 1 is still at the top of my list to be what I switch to. What filters do you recommend? I have heard Mobil 1, Wixx and can't remember the names of others.

I read about filters a few days ago. Puralotor Pure One is among the best w/ 40 micron filter paper. Fram is the worst, and so are the cheaper version Puralators.

Killr is right, synthetic help alot. But if you're running conventional oil now, dont step up to synthetic right away. You have to start gradually with the blended stuff