PDA

View Full Version : New Truck deatailing questions

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

nezff
03-24-2013, 07:30 AM
I have a brand new Ford f150 and am wondering what are some good products to use with my porter cable.

small scratches left by the dealer washings? No swirls, just small very very subtle scratches. I have Meguiars Ultimate polish, Meguiars speed glaze, Meguiars hi tech yellow wax. I have on the way some lake country pads and some Pinnacle Liquid Souverän Car Wax and Pinnacle finishing polish. Im also wondering what you guys use for leather conditoning etc.. for brand spanking new leather seating.

thanks in advance.

BobbyG
03-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Mike's written a nice article on this very subject....:props:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html

nezff
03-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Mike's written a nice article on this very subject....:props:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html

Ive read that before, but I asked more along the lines of names of products to use, not really how. Im mainly wondering which products you guys use or like, pros, cons etc..

LazyGhost
03-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Ive got a dark blue 2012 f150. It has etched in water spots and light swirls. I did a test spot a few weeks ago with some SF4500 on a LC flat white pad and it came out beautiful. Ive been busy and not to mention the weather, and havent gotten around to finishing it yet. That combo wasnt aggressive at all and did the trick for me so id recommend you trying the same.

LazyGhost
03-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Ive got a dark blue 2012 f150. It has etched in water spots and light swirls. I did a test spot a few weeks ago with some SF4500 on a LC flat white pad and it came out beautiful. Ive been busy and not to mention the weather, and havent gotten around to finishing it yet. That combo wasnt aggressive at all and did the trick for me so id recommend you trying the same.

I see youve got some ultimate polish so id use that instead of buying the sf4500. I did my interior and exterior trim with carpro perl and that stuff worked great.

nezff
03-24-2013, 10:33 PM
what do you guys use for wash mitts

Fishincricket
03-24-2013, 11:01 PM
They got a nice wash mitt for sale on here, a microfiber one... Get a foam gun too.. :)

FASTFRED
03-25-2013, 09:11 AM
What color is your F-150 ? :xyxthumbs:

nezff
04-29-2013, 06:18 PM
What color is your F-150 ? :xyxthumbs:

Blue jeans metallic with a tan bottom.

nezff
04-29-2013, 06:29 PM
Up to this point I have washed the vehicle, clayed the vehicle, polished, then sealed.

Autobathe
XMT speed clay
Pinnacle Advanced Finishing polish
Wolfgang paint sealant 3.0

The clay bar left some small scratches which most can be polished out. I used an ample amount of lube while claying and kept kneading the clay over and over multiple times. Used a couple different pieces also.

Talked with Nick and he explained basically to just polish most of the light scratches out with the Pinnacle finishing polish. I noticed one or two isolated deeper ones which possibly are from contaminates being trapped and drug over the surface.

Im looking at a couple different products for removing moderate scratches. Ive looked at the Menzerna line but unsure which would suit me. Ive spoke with Nick about the Wolfgang and Pinnacle Advanced swirl remover but I was worried it would be a tad too aggressive. He assured me that is isnt.

I was looking at the Menzerna Intensive 1500, power finish 2500, final finish 3000, and super finish 4000 or 4500. Im totally lost on which ones are going to be the one for me. I will be using the Lake Country 5.5 flat pads and the LC 4 inch CCS pads. Any of you guys that have used these or can recommend other products would be greatly appreciated.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/menzerna-chart-2013.jpg

capnp72
04-29-2013, 06:33 PM
I've used the wolfgang swirl remover and menzerna sf4500 both of which are good products. I don't think you can go wrong with anything from wolfgang or menzerna. The sf4500 will really bring out the gloss in the paint. I also have a dark blue truck.

nezff
04-29-2013, 07:27 PM
I've used the wolfgang swirl remover and menzerna sf4500 both of which are good products. I don't think you can go wrong with anything from wolfgang or menzerna. The sf4500 will really bring out the gloss in the paint. I also have a dark blue truck.

thanks.

I guess im reading into the aggressive chart too much. I noticed wolfgang and pinnacle both have a polish or glaze at a 3, but then jump straight to a 7 with their swirl remover. Im assuming the 7 isnt as aggressive as the number is stating?

Im thinking of going with the menzerna 1500, 2500, and 4000.

FASTFRED
04-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Menzerna is a great product line to work with. :xyxthumbs:

nezff
04-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Menzerna is a great product line to work with. :xyxthumbs:

I ordered the menzerna super intensive, power finish and super finish 4500.

nezff
05-21-2013, 10:36 AM
quick question guys. Im wondering what a good leather protectant you would recommend? Im currently awaiting leather master's dye transfer cleaner and barrier. My wife has a belt or blue jean transfer on her light colored grey seats. New Honda Pilot.

thanks in advance