PDA

View Full Version : garage features for new home construction

Pages : [1] 2

Sealant
03-23-2013, 07:00 PM
what should i ask for

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-23-2013, 07:06 PM
That the garage is bigger than the house.

Rsurfer
03-23-2013, 07:07 PM
That there's a lift.

spardavr4
03-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Get them to install an indoor water source to connect a hose to (warm water if you're in a colder climate) and a drain to drain out the water!

I would love that in my garage. Maybe some nice lighting too.

Andr3wilson
03-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Air lines behind the wall, treated and heated water lines, lift, built in cabinets, wall mounted pressure washer, drain with sump and pump, central heating.

I'd start there

HeavyD
03-23-2013, 07:43 PM
^^^^^^^^That and central vac outlets. One of the best things Ive done in my manland. My space is too small for lift. Damn

rmagnus
03-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Well that about covers it. No mention of lights or electrical outlets. Have plenty maybe a 240v for a big compressor. Drains in the floor for at least one side of the garage would be key. Obviously a car lift would be awesome. Extra high ceiling for the lift. I think you could spend a fortune on everything however.

HeavyD
03-23-2013, 08:31 PM
Lights!!!! I knew we were missing something!!! Got too excited spending someone elses money forgot one of the most important things.LOL

david79z28
03-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Floor drain, air connections in the ceiling to hang air hose reels from.

Like someone else said, don't skimp in the electrical outlets!!!

schpenxel
03-23-2013, 10:17 PM
hot/cold water connections

Pureshine
03-23-2013, 10:22 PM
Well that about covers it. No mention of lights or electrical outlets. Have plenty maybe a 240v for a big compressor. Drains in the floor for at least one side of the garage would be key. Obviously a car lift would be awesome. Extra high ceiling for the lift. I think you could spend a fortune on everything however.
+1 and dedicated 20 amp outlet for running your tools.

D_Nyholm
03-23-2013, 10:38 PM
Things I am looking for in my garage are:
high lift garage doors and a side mounted garage door opener. If you ever get a lift, you are going to want that.

5 inch thick concrete floor at least.(for lift)

in floor radiant heat if you live in a cooler climate.(too expensive and difficult to add later)

a separate sub panel and many many outlets.

Lights on the walls as well as the ceiling.

Hot and cold water lines.

Floor drain.

FULLY insulated with spray foam on the ceiling if you have a room above it.

Make sure it isn't a standard size like 20 by 20 as they are worthless for other than parking. Try to get at least 24 by 24 for a 2 car, or at least a larger work area in front of one of the spaces.

One thing that I saw on a house we were looking at was a 3 car garage. It was only 2 doors in the front, but the driveway went around the side and there was a side garage door for pulling another car in front of the other 2. It keeps the house from looking too oversized with 3 doors across the front, and the side driveway is very useful for working on your car outdoors without having to worry about taking up too much space in the main driveway.

I'm sure there is more, but you can add that after the construction is done.

john b
03-23-2013, 11:41 PM
a pole for the ladies

Sealant
03-23-2013, 11:44 PM
Considering the price is already worked out...what can I ask for and get away with?

They are not going to do all the stuff mentioned obviously.

Pureshine
03-24-2013, 12:07 AM
The outlets are a big deal or you will be shorting out stuff. Since I installed the 20 amp never have a problem.