PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get scratches out of bumper?

jjj
03-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Hey all. I have quick question in the field of bumpers. There are scratches on a bumper, plastic painted all factory. Is there any way to get these out or will it be a complete repair? It looks like someone changed shoes, placed boxes etc on the bumper.

jjj
03-23-2013, 11:41 AM
No one?

Pureshine
03-23-2013, 11:54 AM
You can buff the bumper the same way you do the rest of the car unless the scratches are to deep. Then touch up paint is your best option.

spiralout462
03-23-2013, 12:45 PM
You can buff the bumper the same way you do the rest of the car unless the scratches are to deep. Then touch up paint is your best option.

:iagree:Some people have reported excessive heat issues while buffing out those bumpers. I haven't experienced that myself with a PCXP and light polishing.

rmagnus
03-23-2013, 01:02 PM
:iagree:Some people have reported excessive heat issues while buffing out those bumpers. I haven't experienced that myself with a PCXP and light polishing.

+1 paint on bumpers is usually thinner than on the body. Also bumpers build heat quicker so be aware of that as well. You might do better to fill the the scratch with color then damp sand and polish it out. If the scratch is deep enough to catch your fingernail I'd definately fill it first.

Sometimes an improvement is a better goal that complete removal because clear on these types of bumpers is usually very thin.

Smoothy
03-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Bumpers are one of those areas of your vehicle that looks better painted, but should really be a neutral color like black or grey because they are eventually going to get dinged and bumped. After all, that's why they're called bumpers. Same is true for the back surface of side mirrors and the lower panels under the doors. But what can we do, the auto makers design for looks.

Sunder92
03-23-2013, 01:39 PM
If the scratch catches on your nail, then fill it up with some touch up paint, add clear coat, wet sand and then compound it.
You can compound by band. It may take up to 20 minutes for a small spot, but that's what I did when I didn't have a DA polisher.

jjj
03-23-2013, 09:18 PM
Thanks for all the info!!!