PDA

View Full Version : Can't figure out MF pads and SMAT.

Flatlander
03-22-2013, 10:56 PM
Ok, I am NO expert but pick things up pretty quickly. I think I've got the hang of polishing with my Flex 340, a DAT (Menzerna, BF) compound/polish and foam pads. I can consistently get some nice gloss and great correction. However, EVERY time I try one of my SMAT compound/polishes, either with a foam or even worse with a MF pad I get these little scratches on the section. I have tried a bunch of technique changes but can't seem to get the SMAT (Optimum, Megs) products to work properly. Any ideas? (Please don't tell me to get rid of all my SMAT stuff!)

akj
03-22-2013, 10:59 PM
Megs has special made products for the mf pads.. try those.

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online

Flatlander
03-22-2013, 11:00 PM
Yes, D300. Tried that too. No go. Still left small scratches.

CM8 6MT
03-22-2013, 11:07 PM
Do these "little scratches" look like this?:
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp230/Diabolic/scratches_5_zps088ec88b.jpg

AutowerxDetailing
03-22-2013, 11:12 PM
Since there are so many variables it's hard to say exactly what is happening... paint system, compound being used, technique, etc., etc.

One recommendation: on your last pass use zero pressure on the machine. Almost to the point of lifting up so less than the weight of the machine is pressing against the paint on the last pass. This should help to greatly reduce the DA haze you are experiencing.

Andr3wilson
03-23-2013, 12:35 AM
D300 and MF will finish out LSP ready 90% of the time. Sounds like you have a soft paint.

To get it out you may only SF4500 as an option.

I also do not recommend an MF on a Flex. On a traditional DA they heat up quite quick, let alone a forced rotation. Stick with the foam pads; best bet is the Hybrids.

psynx
03-23-2013, 01:58 AM
How long are you working the product? How much pressure? How fast is your arm speed. Like previously posted too many variables

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AG Online

jrs1418
03-23-2013, 03:03 AM
Also check your MF pads for debris. Thoroughly brush out your MF pads after every section and inspect.

silverfox
03-23-2013, 04:59 AM
What products specifically are you talking about? Making generalizations for an entire class of products is a stretch. Are you finishing down with a finishing polish after compounding ? Specifically what pads?

Not enough specific info. If you are getting the results you want with DAT then stick with what works.

Flatlander
03-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Do these "little scratches" look like this?:
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp230/Diabolic/scratches_5_zps088ec88b.jpg
Yes, but not so many and a bit more random.

How long are you working the product? How much pressure? How fast is your arm speed. Like previously posted too many variables

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AG Online
I am doing approximately 4 passes with moderate pressure and slow arm speed. I do lighten up on the last pass but not a whole lot.

What products specifically are you talking about? Making generalizations for an entire class of products is a stretch. Are you finishing down with a finishing polish after compounding ? Specifically what pads?

Not enough specific info. If you are getting the results you want with DAT then stick with what works.
I am talking about SMAT compounds only. I have tried to follow with a polish but the scratches are too numerous and deep for the polish to remove. I have tried a bunch of compounds. Megs D300, Optimum Hyper compound and compound II, and (i'm not sure if this is SMAT or not) CG v34. I think there may be another I can't think fo as well.

vegas911gts
03-23-2013, 11:24 PM
cg polishes are dat.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-24-2013, 12:35 AM
Don't use MF pads with the 3401, it's like mixing water and oil, doesn't work.