PDA

View Full Version : LC yellow cutting pad/OR/microfiber?

Pages : [1] 2

LazyGhost
03-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Need something thats more aggressive than M105 on a LC orange flat pad. Working on a scuffed up 98' Ford thats never been polished.

Andr3wilson
03-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Well the MF pads really do have a lot of cut to them, they heat up quick. Its kinda hard to say because I have never used both a yellow and an MF on the same paint.

How bad is the car? :Picture:

If it is really bad you may want to go over onto a wool pad.

What are you polishing with? PC, Griots, Rotary?

Boudin
03-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Microfiber

LazyGhost
03-22-2013, 09:03 PM
What are you polishing with? PC, Griots, Rotary?

Gg6. Ive got orange and white flat pads at the moment. Its a buddies ride. Im looking to take advantage of the sale and pick up some things and i want something more aggressive for this project, and whatever comes up in the future.

AutowerxDetailing
03-22-2013, 09:43 PM
LC yellow is VERY aggressive when coupled with M105 and, no matter what paint system, will likely leave moderate DA haze that will require extensive final polishing.

M105 with MF cutting discs on most paint systems will finish out almost LSP ready while still providing heavy cutting ability. I'm talking like 1-2 passes with M205 ready.

I haven't touched my yellows since I started playing with MF's.

Test spot tells the truth regardless... YMMV, etc.

Andr3wilson
03-22-2013, 10:26 PM
LC yellow is VERY aggressive when coupled with M105 and, no matter what paint system, will likely leave moderate DA haze that will require extensive final polishing.

M105 with MF cutting discs on most paint systems will finish out almost LSP ready while still providing heavy cutting ability. I'm talking like 1-2 passes with M205 ready.

I haven't touched my yellows since I started playing with MF's.

Test spot tells the truth regardless... YMMV, etc.

:iagree: try the MF pads and see where they get you. If anything can't be removed with them, a second pass will clear them up!

cardaddy
03-22-2013, 11:34 PM
Well the MF pads really do have a lot of cut to them, they heat up quick. Its kinda hard to say because I have never used both a yellow and an MF on the same paint.

I recently played around on my wife's Denali with 101, D300, orange, yellow and MF pads. The hood has etching from water spots and honestly could use wet sanding. I had just gotten the Megs MF kit so decided I'd play around on the hood.

The D300 and MF pad gave the smoothest, closest to LSP 'look'. The yellow and 101 seemed to give the best overall results, over and above the MF pad and 101. I will admit however that it was late (after midnight) and I slipped a disc earlier which was seriously hurting by then.

Given time, and more MF pads (which I have now) I think 101 and the cutting pad will beat the
yellow pad hands down. That being said, the paint on the Denali is a tinted clear which when I was tired and hurting, for a brief moment, I vaguely thought it might be CC failure. :eek: I'd say try them both... the foam is easy to work and you don't have to keep it *as* clean as MF pads. If there is one thing the MF system needs is a LOT of cleaning, sometimes as often as every section pass, and certainly wouldn't do an entire hood without cleaning. Which reminds me.... I need a bigger compressor! :D

vegas911gts
03-23-2013, 12:09 AM
If none of that works, wool or surbuf as a last resort.

Andr3wilson
03-23-2013, 12:27 AM
The D300 and MF pad gave the smoothest, closest to LSP 'look'.

Spectacular system they developed! Works like a dream on a Rupes

If there is one thing the MF system needs is a LOT of cleaning, sometimes as often as every section pass, and certainly wouldn't do an entire hood without cleaning. Which reminds me.... I need a bigger compressor! :D

Absolutely! Although I would say they are easier to clean than the foam

rmagnus
03-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Need something thats more aggressive than M105 on a LC orange flat pad. Working on a scuffed up 98' Ford thats never been polished.

Lots of good advise so far. What polisher and products do you have?

M105 is a very good compound and can ususally handle most anything if used correctly. M101 is more aggressive but finishes down even better IMO.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-23-2013, 03:15 PM
Microfiber for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!

LazyGhost
03-23-2013, 03:51 PM
Thanks guys for the help and clarification. I went ahead and ordered the yellow flat pads to finish out my order. I will end up buying the microfiber and some m101 soon enough. I chose the yellow pads at this time because i dont have a compressor yet and am not setup to clean the microfibers. Wanted to tack on the m101 to my order but that stuff is high and im on a budget.

My next order will hopefully be some m101, microfiber pads, and an autogeek professional tool bag to hold all of my pads. I have the smaller autogeek bag for my polisher and chemicals. Cant carry/store it all in one bag and id like for both bags to match so that i can feel and look more professional.

cardaddy
03-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Spectacular system they developed! Works like a dream on a Rupes

Absolutely! Although I would say they are easier to clean than the foam

I still can decide it I want my next machine to be the Rupes or the Flex. Seems like the Flex (since the Rupes was released) has suddenly turned into a bit of a hot potato, IE nobody wants to touch it. :dunno:

That Flex / WG VIP deal is calling out to me something serious! :eek: (Just keep telling myself.... not gonna, not gonna. not gonna......) ;)

Rsurfer
03-23-2013, 07:14 PM
[QUOTE=cardaddy;836098] has suddenly turned into a bit of a hot potato, IE nobody wants to touch it. :dunno:

What does that mean?

WRAPT C5Z06
03-23-2013, 09:55 PM
I still can decide it I want my next machine to be the Rupes or the Flex. Seems like the Flex (since the Rupes was released) has suddenly turned into a bit of a hot potato, IE nobody wants to touch it. :dunno:

That Flex / WG VIP deal is calling out to me something serious! :eek: (Just keep telling myself.... not gonna, not gonna. not gonna......) ;)
I keep giving the Flex 3401 a shot. Today, I used it again, and I put it away after one pass. The think just isn't fun to use. JMO!!!! :)