PDA

View Full Version : Removing another car's paint

Black N' Yellow
03-22-2013, 02:55 AM
My girlfriend's car got swiped in the parking lot yesterday and there is some paint transfer. Unfortunately her car is white and the other car was black. I haven' seen the car yet, so i don't know what it looks like. She didn't seem to think it was too bad. I'm hoping you guys can give me some tips for removing the paint. I'll be using a Flex 3401 polisher

Here's my initial plane:

1. Wash the area and isopropyl wipe-down
2. Speedy Prep Towel
3. Compound using wool pad with optimum compound 2?
4. Compound using lake county hydro-tech cyan with optimum compound 2
5.Polish using lake county hydro-tech tangerine with optimum hyper polish
6. Wax using lake county hydro-tech crimson

What do you guys think? I'm unsure about using the whole with the flex 3401, I slightly remember reading somewhere that that wasn't good.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

margallar
03-22-2013, 05:30 AM
why not just wash it and then clay the other car's paint off

ShinyRex
03-22-2013, 05:39 AM
Without being there it is hard to tell but I doubt you are going to want to rush into compounding. If the speedy prep towel starts to remove it but doesn't get everything try a med polish and a white or ht tangerine pad first. in this situation less is more.

imranhakro
03-22-2013, 05:40 AM
why not just wash it and then clay the other car's paint off

margallar is right, remove it using aggresive or mild clay (i doubt if surface prep towel would be able to do that) followed by compounding/polishing and the choice between the pads depend on the severity of the scratches.

ShinyRex
03-22-2013, 05:43 AM
Is there any body damage or deep scratches?

Mike Phillips
03-22-2013, 06:15 AM
Believe it or not, to remove paint transfer it's usually safer to start out working by hand to remove most of the transferred paint and then clean up by machine.

I think I cover this in my article here,

How To Remove Paint Transfer (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/28170-how-remove-paint-transfer.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/917/PaintTransfer001.jpg

:)

Black N' Yellow
03-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the article Mike. I will follow your instructions.