PDA

View Full Version : D151 Pad Choice

Pages : [1] 2

ARizzle
03-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Hey everyone, so I've been doing quite a bit of research and I have seen most people mention about partnering Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream with a green pad. I have seen some people use an orange medium cutting pad as well, and I am curious if there was a much better result w/ the orange than the green?

Thanks!

Pureshine
03-21-2013, 12:12 PM
It depends on the kind of paint your dealing with. This why you always do a test spot to see which pad and compound work for the kind of paint your dealing with.

ARizzle
03-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Thank-you very much Pureshine!

mwoolfso
03-22-2013, 05:39 PM
Hey everyone, so I've been doing quite a bit of research and I have seen most people mention about partnering Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream with a green pad. I have seen some people use an orange medium cutting pad as well, and I am curious if there was a much better result w/ the orange than the green?

Thanks!

D151 is an AIO so you can use any pad, really. It just depends on what you expect to achieve. For instance, if the paint is in good shape and you simply want to clean with little to no correction; you wouldn't use a cutting pad. Rather a polishing pad, jeweling pad or an in-between pad ("green").

AutowerxDetailing
03-22-2013, 07:10 PM
For swirled out beaters I will use an orange CCS. On softer paint you might see some light DA haze after the wax protection wears off but it will look 1000 times better than when it came in.

For most vehicles I end up using a white CCS. Finishes out great and still provides some cut to clean up water spots and polish away light swirls.

D151 works well with MF pads too but you will be cleaning the pads more frequently than normal.

rmagnus
03-22-2013, 09:11 PM
:iagree:

White polishing pad is generally a good recommendation with an AIO.

cardaddy
03-22-2013, 09:34 PM
D151 is an AIO so you can use any pad, really. It just depends on what you expect to achieve. For instance, if the paint is in good shape and you simply want to clean with little to no correction; you wouldn't use a cutting pad. Rather a polishing pad, jeweling pad or an in-between pad ("green").

:iagree: +100

WITH :whs:

Never do more than you have to. It's amazing how many different 'looks' you can get with 1 product, using different pads. Just make sure you keep the test spots the same, identical amount of pressure, identical speed and number of passes. The only variable would be the pad.

ARizzle
03-23-2013, 12:41 AM
Thank-you to all the members and friends of mine who contributed, you have cleared up all my questions and possible questions that I may have been thinking about!

cardaddy
03-23-2013, 11:34 PM
And speaking of D151, anyone wanna' send me a small Meg's squirt bottle to sample? ;)

In the compound/polish arena I have most everything I could possibly need, from D300, 101, 105, D83, 205, UC, #7, UP, Finishing Wax (from the MF kit that actually will work on minor swirls), ScratchX, SwirlX, and I don't remember right now what else, surely some burgundy bottles too. :rolleyes: And of course there's the Griot's 1~4 along with glaze and even the AIO 1-step sealant.

[Didn't put any sealants or waxes in the list, that'd just confuse things. Although #7 is in there as it does do a bit of 'finishing'. .] ;)

What can I say, I'm a sucker for a AIO that fits the middle of the road duties. Although..... the MF Correction System I gotta' say they did their homework on! The D300 and Finishing Wax is a 1-2 combo that's pretty schweet.

Still something about that name, "Paint Conditioning Cream" that gets me. I mean REALLY guys, it's not a "compound" it's a freaking CREAM! ;) That's just got to be something special, puts a mental picture out there like a soft hand cream and all that jazz. :laughing:

What I'm wondering is how it compares to 66. I've never used 66 but it seems to be a solid product, and right in the middle as far as light cut and being an AIO.

I just can't believe how freaking many things I still would like to try. Good LORD I already have more than a mortal man needs.... freaking detailing disease it is, disease indeed. I need more gallons, more gallons, bigger garage, more gallons. :eek:

Bert31
03-24-2013, 12:52 AM
:Picture:D151 works well with MF pads too but you will be cleaning the pads more frequently than normal.

Is that because polish gets in the fibers of a mf pad moreso than a foam pad or do you mean that using D151 requires more cleaning than other polishes.

Bert31
03-24-2013, 12:58 AM
And speaking of D151, anyone wanna' send me a small Meg's squirt bottle.

If you want to trade, I can send you a small bottle of D151 if you return the bottle with something I want to try.

cardaddy
03-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Is that because polish gets in the fibers of a mf pad moreso than a foam pad or do you mean that using D151 requires more cleaning than other polishes.

It's because the MF pads cut so well *and* they heat up, *and* the structure of the pads is such that they hold anything and everything that's put into them (whether it's loading the pad with too much product, product gunking up, or product and paint buildup).

Clean them VERY often, have plenty on hand, and don't work them too long (overheat) and you'll be fine.

AutowerxDetailing
03-24-2013, 12:49 PM
If you want to trade, I can send you a small bottle of D151 if you return the bottle with something I want to try.

I believe it was cardaddy who was looking to try some out. I have plenty at home. :xyxthumbs:

It's because the MF pads cut so well *and* they heat up, *and* the structure of the pads is such that they hold anything and everything that's put into them (whether it's loading the pad with too much product, product gunking up, or product and paint buildup).

Clean them VERY often, have plenty on hand, and don't work them too long (overheat) and you'll be fine.

:iagree: with cardaddy. For optimal correction results with D151 and MF you will want to clean the pad after every section. Foam pads you can get away with cleaning/changing pads after every panel (maybe not on the hood/roof) and still get great results.

cardaddy
03-24-2013, 12:55 PM
And for those that are interested... RIGHT NOW go to the live broadcast. Meguiar's reps are showing the MF system. :D

dad07
03-24-2013, 12:58 PM
And speaking of D151, anyone wanna' send me a small Meg's squirt bottle to sample? ;)

I'll send ya some Tony if you like.