PDA

View Full Version : The new mf polishing pads?

Pages : [1] 2 3

akj
03-20-2013, 11:23 PM
I've heard of these mf cutting polishing and finishing pads. But know nothing of them. I just got a PC and I need all new pads. Can I use these mf cutting pads with uc for heavy cutting? How r they different from foam pads other than not being foam..

Also I just booked a deal with a dealership to do all their trade ins so with my new 6 in PC I'm prolly going with a 5in backing plate but how many and what pads should I get to keep me going for a while at least a month or so?

Would the new mf pads be good due to them being easy to machine wash?

As much info as u have any and all please help.

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online

jmfp
03-20-2013, 11:46 PM
All I use is MF pads unless I run into some soft paint. I love them. I used to be a 100% rotary guy until I tried MF pads on a da. That rotary has only been used like twice in the past 3 months. They cut harder and faster than foam pads. Foam finishes nicer. I've never used ultimate compound with them, but I'm sure it would work fine. I generally use 105 & 205 with them.

I clean mine by hand. I soak them in dawn dish soap and water for a few hours. Then I rinse them in the sink until the water squeezed out is clear. I spin them on my rotary to get out excess water. I generally use 1 pad per half of the car. I blow the pad out after each section I work. I'd get a few of each to start for sure

akj
03-20-2013, 11:46 PM
Also will the backing plate that comes with the starter kit megs has work on a PC?

HardLineDetail
03-20-2013, 11:49 PM
What about this? Amazon.com: BISSELL Auto Care ProHeat Compact Multi-Purpose Deep Cleaner, 14254: Home & Kitchen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DNXBUI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

akj
03-20-2013, 11:50 PM
All I use is MF pads unless I run into some soft paint. I love them. I used to be a 100% rotary guy until I tried MF pads on a da. That rotary has only been used like twice in the past 3 months. They cut harder and faster than foam pads. Foam finishes nicer. I've never used ultimate compound with them, but I'm sure it would work fine. I generally use 105 & 205 with them.

I clean mine by hand. I soak them in dawn dish soap and water for a few hours. Then I rinse them in the sink until the water squeezed out is clear. I spin them on my rotary to get out excess water. I generally use 1 pad per half of the car. I blow the pad out after each section I work. I'd get a few of each to start for sure

Thanks for that info.. how many different mf pads do they have I've only seen the cutting and finishing.
Also u say foam finishes better. Would it be good to do polishing or cutting with the mf pads then finish with foam?

And are they a better value than foam? Like due to the fact they're easy to clean and, do they last longer? Like I could get more jobs done with the mf pads vs foam pad?

akj
03-20-2013, 11:51 PM
What about this? Amazon.com: BISSELL Auto Care ProHeat Compact Multi-Purpose Deep Cleaner, 14254: Home & Kitchen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DNXBUI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

What in the world does that have to do with mf pads?

HardLineDetail
03-20-2013, 11:58 PM
I have no idea how i ended up in this post lmao

akj
03-21-2013, 12:01 AM
Ha.. OK.. but back to mf pads. Are there more than just the cutting and finishing ones? And do the offer a better value than foam? Like last longer, work better...

Anyone maybe have a pros and cons on foam vs mf pads?

Pureshine
03-21-2013, 12:35 AM
MF pads cut better than foam pads so they save time. I only use foam pads for finishing polish. The biggest thing for me is I can use 1-2 MF pads for one car as for foam pads would take me 5 or more pads to do one car.
When using MF pads then need to be clean often by using a pad brush or using compressed air it what I use. I don't know why people say don't use MF pads on soft paint I do all the time with great results.

jmfp
03-21-2013, 12:45 AM
Ha.. OK.. but back to mf pads. Are there more than just the cutting and finishing ones? And do the offer a better value than foam? Like last longer, work better...

Anyone maybe have a pros and cons on foam vs mf pads?

Ive only seen cutting and finishing except i believe lc makes only one pad for both. The only problem I have with them is they will marr soft paint. Some paints I just can't get them to finish perfectly. The only time I use foam pads is for finishing.

I have polished 25+ cars with a set of 2 each and they are still going strong. I have tried meguiars and optimum MF pads and like the meguiars better. The optimum cutting pad I have failed after 2 panels.

akj
03-21-2013, 01:16 AM
So I should get megs pads then? And they come two to a pack so one pack of cutting and one of finishing should last me at least a few cars right?
Also do they work with any backing plate? Or do I need the one that comes with the starter kit?

Pureshine
03-21-2013, 01:23 AM
So I should get megs pads then? And they come two to a pack so one pack of cutting and one of finishing should last me at least a few cars right?
Also do they work with any backing plate? Or do I need the one that comes with the starter kit?

Yes get Meg's Cutting pads and don't get the finishing ones. Use foam pads for finishing. I don't anyone who use the finishing one foam pads work best for finishing. Yes they work with any backing plate and I would just get the pads, d300 or Menz FG400 or both.

akj
03-21-2013, 01:28 AM
What's d300

Pureshine
03-21-2013, 01:33 AM
What's d300

Its Meg's Compound for the MF system.
Meguiars Microfiber Correction Compound, polishing compound, paint correction (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-compound.html)

cardaddy
03-21-2013, 01:37 AM

Might look at D300 if your going to do dealership work. They could care less about multistage correction. Hit it with D300 / MF cutting pad, OR even the polishing pad.

The finishing wax with the MF Kit also has some cut to it and can be used as a AIO also.

Still need some foam pads to do finer finish work but the MF system does a darned good job on most of what you'll see (especially as uses cars). AND... the MF pads work well with 101 too. :)

One way to try the Megs pads, D300 and Finishing Wax is get the 5" MF Correction System. I just ordered a 2nd one. ( Basically the backing plate (and apron is free) if you have a 20% off code.
;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AG Online