PDA

View Full Version : Glazing

Nate3420
03-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Sorry but I have a dumb question... Should I glaze after polishing then seal then wax or should I seal glaze then wax

Nate3420
03-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Never mind figured it out. God I blanked for a second... But what pad do y'all use for glazing?

TundraPower
03-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Not a dumb question at all. Glaze, then Seal, then Wax. Keep in mind that glazes are very temporary.

Nate3420
03-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Not a dumb question at all. Glaze, then Seal, then Wax. Keep in mind that glazes are very temporary.

Yeah I know they are just fillers and this is usually all that dealers do when they deliver cars.

07gtcs
03-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Won't it last if you Glaze, Seal and then Wax?

zmcgovern45
03-21-2013, 12:34 PM
I use CG EZ Creme Glaze with black or blue pads on most customer cars after doing a full correction (followed by sealant and wax). I do not utilize the glaze for its filler properties (obviously, because the paint was just corrected - so nothing left to fill!! :buffing:) however I use it as a gloss enhancer. There is a noticeable difference in slickness after applying the glaze - it is pretty outstanding. Really caught me by surprise the first time I used it. Ever since then I make it a point to use it after polishing and before protection.

Lost Highway
03-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Won't it last if you Glaze, Seal and then Wax?

That depends on how the glaze affects the sealant bond. Old school, oily glazes and sealants often don't play well together. Modern, polymer-based, glazes are more likely to not significantly adversely affect sealant durability. There are, however, a ton of different glazes and sealants out there so YMMV.

A few AIOs, notably Duragloss 501 and Optimum GPS, are fairly durable without a sealant topping but then an AIO isn't just a glaze.

I believe that Chemical Guys make some claims of durability for Blacklight as a stand alone. Personally, I tend to be dubious about most manufacturer's marketing claims and more dubious about some manufacturers than others.

There is also an argument to be made that if the paint has been corrected to a high degree that glazes are superfluous and it is better to go straight to the LSP after cleaning off polishing residue.

zmcgovern45
03-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Chemical Guys Extreme EZ-Creme Glaze with Acrylic Shine II

Product Information
-The perfect prep step before applying a sealant to enhance the gloss and depth of any color paint, while hiding minor imperfections
-The acrylic based formula makes it compatible with both sealants and waxes
-Best applied with a foam applicator pad as thin as possible and removed with a microfiber towel
-When using a buffer, best applied with a black finishing pad

The EZ Creme Glaze with Acrylic Shine II is a great way to quickly add lots of shine back to your paint. With just one application you will add dramatic depth and gloss that makes the paint look very deep. Apply the EZ Creme Glaze by hand or with a buffer and you'll instantly notice how it helps fill in imperfections and provide a more uniform appearance to the clear coat. This special formula helps fill in and ultra fine swirls, so they are not visible to the naked eye. The shine left behind is quite remarkable and gives you an unbelievable amount of gloss that really grabs the light for maximum reflection. The polymers included in this formula helps you get a longer lasting shine which differentiates this formula from other glazes. The versatility and impressive results make it extremely valuable for any detailer to have. Use it after applying polishes and before applying a sealant or wax. No matter where you use the EZ Creme Glaze in your routine you are sure to add more shine with this easy to use formula.

^See above description for CG EZ Creme Glaze... plays nice with protection :props:

ihaveacamaro
03-21-2013, 02:03 PM
I always seal, glaze, then wax.

TundraPower
03-21-2013, 03:58 PM
I believe that Chemical Guys make some claims of durability for Blacklight as a stand alone. Personally, I tend to be dubious about most manufacturer's marketing claims and more dubious about some manufacturers than others.

Google Todd Cooperider's review on BlackLight. It is some amazing stuff. Although no one including CG seems to know what it really is. Or at least no one is saying..... :xyxthumbs:

PiPUK
03-21-2013, 05:43 PM
I think this is a very ill defined area. The Chemical Guys product seems a good example - is it really a glaze which produces a longer lasting shine than other products? Or is it actually more of a sealant which happens to have a high shine? In practice you will find that many spray sealants will have glazes included - the level of these compared to other ingredients will define whether the results are glossy or durable or to what degree. Marketers have a funny habit of misleading if it helps sales...

To the question... it depends! What is your sealant? Does it have any noteworthy solvent content? If so, then when you apply it to a glazed surface then it will simply lift the glaze and mix it with the sealant. As above, this will not necessarily be a problem because the sealant no doubt has some glazes already but it does make one question the approach (heck you would have achieved, more or less, the same thing by mixing the products in the bottles!). You also have the issue that some sealants may not work so well with contamination (if they do not already have glazes incorporated). Then do not forget how sealants work - they often like to adhere to the surfaces, so if your sealant does not redissolve the glaze, you risk having masked the surface to a degree - if the strength of the attraction between sealant and surface is hindered, so will be the durability.

From that point of view, I must admit I just am not a fan of glazes. I do not market any such products rather achieve comparable results with various blends to have sealant glazes. Not that I will tell anyone to stop using glazes but I do genuinely believe that if a user needs a glaze, they probably just haven't found the ideal sealant or them!

Nate3420
03-21-2013, 06:01 PM
I think this is a very ill defined area. The Chemical Guys product seems a good example - is it really a glaze which produces a longer lasting shine than other products? Or is it actually more of a sealant which happens to have a high shine? In practice you will find that many spray sealants will have glazes included - the level of these compared to other ingredients will define whether the results are glossy or durable or to what degree. Marketers have a funny habit of misleading if it helps sales...

To the question... it depends! What is your sealant? Does it have any noteworthy solvent content? If so, then when you apply it to a glazed surface then it will simply lift the glaze and mix it with the sealant. As above, this will not necessarily be a problem because the sealant no doubt has some glazes already but it does make one question the approach (heck you would have achieved, more or less, the same thing by mixing the products in the bottles!). You also have the issue that some sealants may not work so well with contamination (if they do not already have glazes incorporated). Then do not forget how sealants work - they often like to adhere to the surfaces, so if your sealant does not redissolve the glaze, you risk having masked the surface to a degree - if the strength of the attraction between sealant and surface is hindered, so will be the durability.

From that point of view, I must admit I just am not a fan of glazes. I do not market any such products rather achieve comparable results with various blends to have sealant glazes. Not that I will tell anyone to stop using glazes but I do genuinely believe that if a user needs a glaze, they probably just haven't found the ideal sealant or them!

Well in this case would Blackfire crystal seal bond to Wolfgangs Finishing glaze 3.0 ?

PiPUK
03-21-2013, 06:15 PM
Well in this case would Blackfire crystal seal bond to Wolfgangs Finishing glaze 3.0 ?

I have not used these products and cannot find an MSDS for the blackfire product to give you a view based on this. You would need someone to comment who has tried the blackfire on top of a glaze or find me a proper MSDS and I could comment :xyxthumbs:

Nate3420
03-21-2013, 06:36 PM
I have not used these products and cannot find an MSDS for the blackfire product to give you a view based on this. You would need someone to comment who has tried the blackfire on top of a glaze or find me a proper MSDS and I could comment :xyxthumbs:

Thanks for the help man! Hopefully someone can share some knowledge on it

TundraPower
03-22-2013, 08:04 AM

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze really isn't a "glaze" at all in my opinion. As far as I know it has no fillers. I do know it is one awesome product.