PDA

View Full Version : Interior Detail; What's your process?

ALLN1WASH
03-20-2013, 08:58 PM
How's it going A.G.O.? In the past two weeks I've managed to book and complete 11 interior details. My process has pretty much been the same for the past 7 years, starting with a blow-out and finally ending with the windows. While working on these cars in the past few weeks, I don't think there was ever a time where I "did not" question my order of cleaning... (I.e. leather cleaning before floors or vacuum before cleaning the panels). Just seems like the thought of "I've should've done that first" was very reoccurring. Just wanting to compare my order of operation with some of your... It sucks to repeat cleaning or feel like you're working against yourself.

Currently I have air compressor/gun/toronador, assortment of brushes, vacuum/mytee lite, small steam cleaner, floor dryer, and an assortment of cleaners, degreasers, and dressings..

Help me out and share your process, start to finish...

Thanks in advance for any/all replies...
Feed back please

Nate3420
03-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Windows, dash, vents, doors, all center console, leather, vacuum, touch up all surfaces one last time and touch up vacuum one last time.

jmfp
03-20-2013, 10:45 PM
1. Roll windows down. It helps to clean rubber around windows and keeps unwanted chemicals off the glass.

2. Blow everything out and blow loose stuff up front forward into a pile and vice versa in the back.

3. Clean headliner & vacuum.

4. Soak vents and other nasty areas. It'll help break gunk down to make it easier to clean when you get there.

5. Clean all seats if cloth. Its important to me that the seats are dry as possible when the customer receives their car. Leather seats I just clean as I work around the car.

6. I start cleaning in the drivers area... console, dash, & door. I work clockwise around the car. I mist panels with APC and work cracks, crevices, and buttons with a brush. Wipe and blow out.

7. Roll the windows up, but leave a crack so you get that line from the seal off the top of the windows. Clean them. Roll them up the rest of the way and hit the bottoms of the windows.

8. Clean carpets. I don't use an extractor or steamer. My method is spray meguiars APC or APC+ and let soak for about 30 seconds, brush with a horse hair brush, scrub with a microfiber. If still dirty spray with solvent, brush, and rub with a rag. Vacuum again and brush all carpet in the same direction. Same with mats.

9. Clean trunk. Pull everything out including spare, jack, etc. Vacuum. Clean all plastic, metal, tire, and jack. Reassemble and put mats in the trunk.

10. Check my work.

Nate3420
03-20-2013, 10:57 PM
I have found a mixture of oxyclean and laundry detergent works awesome on rugs and seats for shampooing and vacuuming it out with wet vac. Customers jaws drop when they see it. No need for me to spend the money on steam cleaner. I clearly tell people I don't have one if that is one service they want

HardLineDetail
03-21-2013, 12:00 AM
Would this thing be good for doing interior cleaning of upholstery and carpets? Amazon.com: BISSELL Auto Care ProHeat Compact Multi-Purpose Deep Cleaner, 14254: Home & Kitchen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DNXBUI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

HardLineDetail
03-21-2013, 12:13 AM
1. Roll windows down. It helps to clean rubber around windows and keeps unwanted chemicals off the glass.

2. Blow everything out and blow loose stuff up front forward into a pile and vice versa in the back.

3. Clean headliner & vacuum.

4. Soak vents and other nasty areas. It'll help break gunk down to make it easier to clean when you get there.

5. Clean all seats if cloth. Its important to me that the seats are dry as possible when the customer receives their car. Leather seats I just clean as I work around the car.

6. I start cleaning in the drivers area... console, dash, & door. I work clockwise around the car. I mist panels with APC and work cracks, crevices, and buttons with a brush. Wipe and blow out.

7. Roll the windows up, but leave a crack so you get that line from the seal off the top of the windows. Clean them. Roll them up the rest of the way and hit the bottoms of the windows.

8. Clean carpets. I don't use an extractor or steamer. My method is spray meguiars APC or APC+ and let soak for about 30 seconds, brush with a horse hair brush, scrub with a microfiber. If still dirty spray with solvent, brush, and rub with a rag. Vacuum again and brush all carpet in the same direction. Same with mats.

9. Clean trunk. Pull everything out including spare, jack, etc. Vacuum. Clean all plastic, metal, tire, and jack. Reassemble and put mats in the trunk.

10. Check my work.

What ratio for diluting did use for Meguars APC + for carpets and upholstery? I have a 32 oz bottle ready to be filled for this.

piranah
03-21-2013, 12:21 AM
I start with a vac, while blowing out cup holders, map pockets, vents etc.

Then spot treating carpet and seats/headliner. If needed, shampoo carpet.

Next wipe down panels and dash, scrubbing as required.

Then a final vac and Windows.

The first vac makes all the difference. Spend time on that and everything else goes quicker

Sent from my Dell Streak using AG Online

thebamboo23
03-21-2013, 12:23 AM
10:1 and 4:1 is what people seem to favor. some people dont like using apc on leather. usually like to use a dedicated cleaner and conditioner for that. but it can work

jmfp
03-21-2013, 12:25 AM
What ratio for diluting did use for Meguars APC + for carpets and upholstery? I have a 32 oz bottle ready to be filled for this.

10:1 unless its really dirty, then 4:1. Its an amazing product in my opinion. For really bad areas I also use a couple of products made by Falcon Labs in Colorado Springs. They are called De-Stain and Remove. If that doesn't get it, its probably not coming out

HardLineDetail
03-21-2013, 01:00 AM
I made a 4:1 for my wheels and engine.. unless i'm doing in wrong? I'll make a 10:1 for interior in a couple of mins. I need to order more spraying triggers from AG!

akj
03-21-2013, 01:11 AM
I've often questioned my order of interior work as. Well.

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online

pointillistic_practitioner
05-14-2013, 09:25 PM
For my interiors, I usually
1) check everything out first to see if there's candy, gunk, stains, wetness, garbage, loose change/receipts/jewelry etc (always placed in the center console area so my customers know im trustworthy!)... throw out any garbage in car like wrappers etc...

2) vacuum, + brush carpets if needed, incl trunk

3) extract floor mats and lay out to dry in the sun (if rubber, i usually wait til when im cleaning door jambs to clean them w/ apc) > extract seats if cloth, starting with the drivers seat, treating spots first w/ folex, and scrubbing....spraying folex on entire seat and using warm water only in my LGM to extract.... usually doing passenger seat next, then rear seats ... do the same thing with floor mat of each respective seat after doing seats, or, if seats are leather, do the same thing with floor mats only, and then clean leather. extract trunk if material is carpet, otherwise a trunk vaccuum suffices if its made from that odd compact, black, plastic gunk found in most cars...sometimes if there are bad stains i will extract/spot treat, but i generally just vacuum/brush the trunk if its that plasticy stuff.

4) spot treat headliner w/ steam/folex/both

4) clean dash, center console, steering wheel, vents, etc....ive typically used folex for all of this (its relatively inexpensive in comparison to other cleaners and it seems to work well for all but the toughest/greasiest stains....i started using megs apc (green one) but i just used it in my 97 accord and it made my window switch cluster and handle surround chalky!!...so i will prob be going back to folex...and experimenting w/ my steam cleaner too... as ive been displeased w/ its performance thus far except for glass/door jambs...

5) clean kickplates, handles, interior of b pillar, plastic heating/cooling vents under seats, seatbelt latches (scrubbing inside the "press" engraving w/ a toothbrush, any other plastic/vinyl parts in interior

6) clean door panels and window seams ( i usually leave windows open starting at beginning of detail, to help seats dry...yes sometimes debris gets in the car (pollen etc) but i always do a 2nd vaccuum anyway... (pollen/debris to be vaccumed is better than wet seats)

6)clean door jambs, rubber door seals etc...sometimes steaming w/ apc and towels, sometimes laying a big, old beach towel down and using the mist setting of the hose w/ apc and various small brushes and letting cleaner sit if needed (this method, while precarious b/c u have to be careful about not getting the interior wet, is usually much faster....just like how washing the exterior of a car is generally faster than using rinseless/waterless wash). also, i usually use big old towel to dry door jambs when doing it this way... its cheaper and easier than using a bunch of my small terry towels up and i usually get away w/ using 1/2 big towels to dry.

7) lightly clean engine w/ same method(s) listed in step 6.... making sure to clean not only the engine part, but the inside of hood, engine jambs etc.. (i usually dont perform a full engine detail...i have that listed as an extra fee b/c my time is usually already tight....i usually then, clean the trunk jamb too.

7) apply dressing to interior plastic/vinyl surfaces and rubber seals.

8) apply leather conditioner as needed, in addition to, or in replacement of step 7.

9) I wait until after the exterior detail to clean glass, so for the sake of things being in order im listing exterior steps too all in step 9 with ">'s" to separate steps.... (wash (rinseless/waterless/traditional 2 bucket...washing car 1st then wheels, chrome exhausts etc then wheel wells...have yet to try gary dean method)...>squeegee + towel dry>air dry>clay>tape trim>correct headlights if paid for/if needed and im feeling generous and have enough supplies :P > compound>polish>wax/seal>remove tape and apply exterior dressing(s) on trim/tires> wax/seal wheels)

10) roll up windows partly, then steam edge of glass

11) roll up windows all the way, then steam interior glass using 3 terry cloth rags...1 to spread steam and really clean the glass as SOON as i finish steaming window, one to wipe in opposing directions (up/dwn then left/right), and one to buff lightly to ensure no streaking....if i dont have 3 terrys on hand i use 2 MFs for 1st two rags and terry to buff b/c of it's "bite". (sometimes the rags get wet so ill replace each as i go along)

12) repeat with exterior glass

13) polish exterior glass if needed or if i have time (have only had to do this a few times and wasnt overly impressed w/ DP glass restorer...)

14) apply rain-x to exterior glass and wiper blades following directions on bottle if asked/if i have time

15) Revaccum interior and check over results.

sometimes i get distracted and i do steps in a different order if i forget to do something, but that's basically my method.

andy2485
05-14-2013, 09:38 PM
I use straight Folex on carpets and mats, should I dilute it in a different sprayer?

Squid
05-15-2013, 02:25 AM
I like your routine but there's a problem with not extracting because when you leave soap (apc) in the carpet it attracts dirt and the car will get dirtier faster.

Please consider extracting.