PDA

View Full Version : California Car Duster-to use or not to use...

Pages : [1] 2

Rykar
03-20-2013, 04:15 PM
Hi everyone!

This morning my brother and I were leaving at the same time for work and he broke out his California Car Duster and proceeded to wipe down his grey Camry. I never bought one because I felt that over time, how can small grains of sand/dirt/hard fibers the duster was wiping off not scratch the paint over time? (This was back when I had my truck freshly painted of course).

Sure, my brothers car "looks" washed for up to 3 weeks, but still, he must be putting scratches/swirl marks on his clear coat, right?

Please let me know your thoughts on this as I would like to show him your responses. I have a feeling most will be negative about the duster.

Ok, so on the assumption that it shouldn't be used to remove the dust, what alternative use would the duster have? (Other than dusting the dashboard that is)

Thanks in advance for your response! :xyxthumbs:

spiralout462
03-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Personally I have no desire to purchase and use this tool. My paint is as soft as a baby's rear end. That's not to say that his paint system isn't hard enough to take the abuse. Are there scratches on his car or not? Fact of the matter is any time we touch our cars we are risking scratching it, but just think about the alernative.

JAF06SE
03-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Nothing wrong with them depending on the dust he is wiping off. You don't want to use them for weeks due to the different road grimes and particles you'll pick up. But used correctly, there is no issue with them. There is actually another thread on this exact subject.

JAF06SE
03-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Here:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53179

Rykar
03-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the link!

cleanmycorolla
03-20-2013, 04:41 PM
I have one and love it, if you use it right, and as it's intended, for light dust, then you should be golden. I've never seen marring or anything from it, then again I dont use it that often, but if I do I am gentle with it and only for light dust.

Here is So Cal sometimes it's a life savor! Nice weather, lots of dust!

FUNX650
03-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Sure, my brothers car "looks" washed for up to 3 weeks, but still,
he must be putting scratches/swirl marks on his clear coat, right?

Please let me know your thoughts on this as I would like to show him your responses.
One sure-fire way to see if your Brother is, indeed:
Inflicting scratches/swirl-marks to his vehicle's CC
with a California Duster (or other means):

Do you have an inspection-light/swirl-finder lamp?

:)

Bob

Wes Bremec
03-20-2013, 05:17 PM
I honestly think these tools should only touch inside furniture for dusting:) I would never touch any paintwork with this tool.

Anthony@zerboautoworks
03-20-2013, 05:35 PM
I honestly think these tools should only touch inside furniture for dusting:) I would never touch any paintwork with this tool.

Agreed

Rsurfer
03-20-2013, 06:04 PM
One sure-fire way to see if your Brother is, indeed:
Inflicting scratches/swirl-marks to his vehicle's CC
with a California Duster (or other means):

Do you have an inspection-light/swirl-finder lamp?

:)

Bob

How about the sun or a gas station at night.

Crispy
06-12-2015, 04:56 PM
I use mine all the time (just got 2 months ago).
Benifits:
Car cleaned of dust 5 minutes (dark brown metallic paint).
Danger:
Maybe damaging paint but have ample protection already on so low risk.
IMHO no more risk than washing with sponge and ONR.

aim4squirrels
06-12-2015, 05:11 PM
If the California duster is indeed safe for light dust (like, just washed the car last night and removing the light dust from overnight) then wouldn't a long nap microfiber towel (like a purple plush towel) hand held above the paint with just the weight of part of the towel draping across accomplish essentially the same thing?

JSFM35x
06-12-2015, 05:35 PM
Not on paint. Dash ok

Rsurfer
06-12-2015, 05:40 PM
If the California duster is indeed safe for light dust (like, just washed the car last night and removing the light dust from overnight) then wouldn't a long nap microfiber towel (like a purple plush towel) hand held above the paint with just the weight of part of the towel draping across accomplish essentially the same thing?

I believe the CD has paraffin wax which holds on to the dust.

aim4squirrels
06-12-2015, 05:47 PM
I believe the CD has paraffin wax which holds on to the dust.

I think you're correct, but my microfiber towels are static-y as all get out, especially straight out of the dryer. Those fibers are pretty grabby as well.

Just wondering aloud if that might work as well.