PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Detailing Package and other Questions

gcollins
03-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Hello everyone!

First post but have been trolling for about a month gathering info.

I purchased a new Ram truck and I am waiting for it to be delivered. I have forgone the paint & fabric protection from the dealer because I figured I can do this myself much cheaper than what they want. I am located in Canada and I am dealing with an Online shop up here to purchase my detailing products from to get my paint in the best shape before applying the sealant and then maintaining it after.

I have done research online and really liked what I read and heard about the Optimum Line.

This is my first time venturing into the detailing world so here is my package I am going to order and would like some input from you folks on what I can add/remove/change.

Detail Package

Polisher:

Griots Garage 6" Polisher (10 ft cord)
Lake Country 5 inch backing plate
Buff and Shine pads 5.5 inch (5 pack)

* supplier suggested the 5 inch is a better size to work with so this is why I have the backing plate and 5.5 pads

Exterior:

Optimum Car Wash (32oz) (for those dirty days)
2 Grit Guards
Optimum No Rinse™ Wash & Shine (32oz) (for those not so dirty days, and use as clay lube)
Sonus Clay Bar
Optimum Hyper Finish (polish the paint before applying sealant)
Opti-Coat 2.0
Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel (32oz)
Sonax Wheel Cleaner
Sonax Glass Cleaner
S.M Arnold Glass Towels 2 pack
Sonus Microfiber Buffing Towel 2 pack

Interior:

Optimum Protectant Plus (17oz) (I like this because it says it won't feel oily)
Cquartz Fabric and Leather Coat (this is to protect my fabric interior)

That is my list....Any thoughts?

And here are some questions I had.

1. After the sealant is applied and I do my regular washes I have read that some of you folks top the sealant off with something for more slickness and gloss. I have thought of these:

A. Optimum Instant Detailer
B. Optimum Car Wax
C. CarPro Reload
D. Permanon

2. It says I can can apply Opti-coat to all of my exterior. So what should I be doing to my chrome and exterior plastic trim to get it in the best shape before applying the sealant?

3. How long does Cquartz Fabric and Leather Coat last before the interior would need to be done again?

Look forward to your suggestions and input.

cleanmycorolla
03-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Opti-coat isn't a sealant, its a coating. So just know that before your purchase, it is permanent, and wont come off unless you polish, it's not your typical sealant. Ideally, you'd want to use some metal polish on your chrome before applyin opti coat.

With that said, after a wash if you apply opti coat, it shouldnt need a booster, nor would any booster you put on really stay on especially wax and sealant types of spray waxes/sealants. Many folks use Reload however with much success, I think thats on a few products that work with coatings, such as the new wipeless silica sprays and such, and permanon etc......

gcollins
03-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Ya, I understand that. Just got typing away and through the word sealant in there.

I also understand that the booster wouldn't stay on for very long which is why you would re-apply it after a wash. If I wash every week maybe I would apply the booster every 2nd or 3rd wash.

gcollins
03-21-2013, 07:59 AM
Any other comments?

What would be a good metal polish for my Chrome?

gcollins
03-21-2013, 03:03 PM
This is the truck I will be getting (but in a darker grey). As you can see there is alot of chrome I want to polish (bumpers, wheels, mirrors, step rails, handles, grill) before I apply the opti-coat.

The wheels are Chrome Clad. I looked at Optimum Metal Polish, would this be ok on Chrome Clad Wheels?

http://www.ramtruck.ca/img/jellybeans/model1500_BIG.png

ski2
03-21-2013, 03:42 PM
On another forum a pro detailer that does testing for Optimum reports that OCW lasts about 4 weeks on top of OptiCoat.

On that same forum another member did a comparison--on a properly polished car that had been OptiCoated a few months earlier he applied FK1000P, Collinite 476S, DG105 and BFWD on the hood. Some were easier to apply on the OptiCoat and some lasted longer than others, but in general he was surprised to see that at least these products lasted about 8 weeks on top of OptiCoat.

cardaddy
03-21-2013, 10:04 PM
:welcome: to AGO!

Nice list there! :dblthumb2:

And betting it'll be one really nice RAM too! :D

Later,

Cardaddy

gcollins
03-21-2013, 10:40 PM
On another forum a pro detailer that does testing for Optimum reports that OCW lasts about 4 weeks on top of OptiCoat.

On that same forum another member did a comparison--on a properly polished car that had been OptiCoated a few months earlier he applied FK1000P, Collinite 476S, DG105 and BFWD on the hood. Some were easier to apply on the OptiCoat and some lasted longer than others, but in general he was surprised to see that at least these products lasted about 8 weeks on top of OptiCoat.

Do u know what forum it was? Would like to read that.

:

Nice list there! :dblthumb2:

And betting it'll be one really nice RAM too! :D

Thanks, now I just got to wait for the factory to build it.

gcollins
03-21-2013, 11:19 PM
Do you think I would need Optimum Hyper Compound or would just the Hyper Finish be enough?

cardaddy
03-22-2013, 03:21 PM
Do you think I would need Optimum Hyper Compound or would just the Hyper Finish be enough?

If the dealer doesn't get ahold of it first, maybe just HF.

You could first hit it with IRONX, do a good rinse, then a nice foam and rinse and go from there. Might be you can get away without claying even. (although I'd clay it just because...) From there it's just a matter of how bad it's swirled and what pads you have on hand. Remember that all your products (compound / polish) can be used with multiple pads to get different results.

IE: Using HF, maybe start with a white or blue pad, then move up to a black, even a red and really finish it out nice. :dunno: