PDA

View Full Version : Not all Corvette paint is created Equally!!

ShineTimeDetail
03-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Saturday I did a 09 black Z06 Vette. I was dreading it bc I dislike Corvette paint. Anyways I washed and then proceeded to cleay with pinnicles fine green clay. Well I noticed it marred the heck out of the paint. Used plenty of lube and it was bad. Proceeded to polish with a white LC pad and Menzerna SF4000 and it corrected like a champ on my flex! Took out tons of swirls and finished awesome!

I couldn't believe that the paint was so marred using the light clay with light pressure too. I was planning on adding clay barring to my most bought package bc I had a member in PB FL tell me that if I used the light clay it wouldn't mare. Just very surprised light clay marred a black vette and corrected with SF400 when vettes are notorious for having super hard clears.

Just wanted to share with everyone! :dblthumb2:

zmcgovern45
03-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Good to know! Thanks for sharing!

A good reminder as to why we should treat every car like a brand new project... even if you've done an "identical" one several times before.

**Side note: I gave someone in Southern Illinois your info - they contacted me looking to have some interior work done, but I'm too far away. Hopefully they get in touch with you and you can work some magic for them!

Pureshine
03-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Ya I had same problem on a black vette I did.

Mike Phillips
03-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Just very surprised light clay marred a black vette and corrected with SF400 when vettes are notorious for having super hard clears.

It's called...

Scratch-sensitive

It means although a paint system can be very hard, it can still scratch very easily. Our VIP guest Barry Meguiar coined this term back in the early 1990's. I think I gave him credit for this in my how-to book.

When you attended my detailing class a few years ago, I taught this characteristic of modern clear coat paints in my class.

Went to the detailing 101 & 102 and Iwas a little dissapointed..... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-saturday-detailing-101/32325-went-detailing-101-102-iwas-little-dissapointed.html)

Here's the link to the actual pictures and comments thread from the class you attended already over 2 years ago now...

Pictures & Comments from January 29th Detailing 101 Class (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-saturday-detailing-101/32283-pictures-comments-january-29th-detailing-101-class.html)

I see this type of thing all the time.

But yeah... a paint system can be very hard and still scratch very easily. That's why AFTER you polish out any clear coat paint system EVERYTHING that touches the paint afterwards either during washing, wipe-down or any routine maintenance polishing must be of the highest quality you or your customer can obtain. Plus use good technique.

You already know this, I'm just saying for anyone that reads this into the future...

:)

ShineTimeDetail
03-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Good to know! Thanks for sharing!

A good reminder as to why we should treat every car like a brand new project... even if you've done an "identical" one several times before.

**Side note: I gave someone in Southern Illinois your info - they contacted me looking to have some interior work done, but I'm too far away. Hopefully they get in touch with you and you can work some magic for them!

Awesome, I appreciate it!!

ScottB
03-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Vettes respond very well to Menzerna polishes ...