PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Dust

swanicyouth
03-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Maybe I've reached a new level of AutoGeek insanity, but I never sure how to deal with very light dust when applying a LSP. I'm talking the type of dust when the car is clean (washed), inside, but dust or particles in the air have landed on the surface.

I find these "particles" mostly see-able on black. For example, I'm in the middle of waxing my black BMW with Souveran. The car is polished to a high gloss. Anything on surface is visible:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/20/by6avebe.jpg

This panel above was "brushed down" with a towel 10 mins before. I'm working inside, but the garage door is open. This doesn't seem to matter much. What I have been doing, is trying to blow it off with my Air Force Blaster. However, this doesn't get all of it off for some reason. So, I end up brushing it with a towel.

Anyone else deal with this?

mwoolfso
03-19-2013, 12:52 PM
For each panel, do a QD first and then immediately apply the wax. That's what I do during allergy season.

swanicyouth
03-19-2013, 12:56 PM
When I say "brush it away", I mean like this:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/20/juvu2u2u.jpg

Then move the towel forward, letting it "drag" with nothing but the weight of the towel cloth (not my hand).

What do ya think??

WRAPT C5Z06
03-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Not much you can do about that.

TroyScherer
03-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Sounds like its time to create a "clean" room like paint shops and engine builders do....

swanicyouth
03-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Do you guys deal with this?

camaro2ssblack
03-19-2013, 04:34 PM
same issue - I like to at least dampen the towel with WW or QD and wipe down each panel before waxing. By the time I get finished its all dusty again anyway lol

FUNX650
03-19-2013, 06:21 PM
When I say "brush it away", I mean like this:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/20/juvu2u2u.jpg

Then move the towel forward, letting it "drag" with nothing but the weight of the towel cloth (not my hand).

What do ya think??
I would think that the act of:
Brushing away at dust, with what appears to be a "dry" MF-towel, would exacerbate the dust–problem
perhaps by changing the status of the electrical [static(?)] charge of the vehicle's surface area...
and even that of the already deposited airborne-dust as well.

Electrons are going to be: Placed/Removed...in/from the electron cloud...at some point in time.
Dust adhesion may be a resulting occurrence.

Even taking the above out of the equation...
We all seek that: "electrostatic repulsion/dissapation force" that will, at the very least,
overcome the gravitational force exerted upon any airborn particulates.

One way I attempt to do so is very similar to that of: camaro2ssblack's

same issue - I like to at least dampen the towel with WW or QD and wipe down each panel before waxing.
By the time I get finished its all dusty again anyway lol

And...In the same vein of thought:

QDs - in many regards as above, the charge is dissipated through the product and to ground via you (your body).
There is the added benefit that a good QD should almost certainly have antistatic properties which should inhibit surface charging for a period of time.

:)

Bob

spiralout462
03-19-2013, 06:43 PM
I went through this today!!! I do the same as you Swanic but it drives me mad every time!! I have dusted with the help of a QD before but it doesn't seem to make any difference to me.

TroyScherer
03-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Do you guys deal with this?

I do.

One big thing is to bring the vehicle inside and close all the doors. Then give it 30 minutes or so for the dust to settle. Then do a final wipe down. You should be good to go.