PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use TruFuel 50:1 mix in lawn equipment?

SR99
03-18-2013, 05:38 PM
I had never heard of this before. It's ethanol-free gas-oil premix for 2-stroke lawn equipment. Unlike pump gas, which starts to break down after 30-45 days, this is supposed to be good for 2+years after opened.

Seems pricey at first (5-6 bucks per quart), but for equipment that isn't used often, and factoring in all the gas-oil mix I've thrown out over the years, and the annual carburetor teardown and cleaning time due to built up varnish over the winter, it might not be a bad deal if it works as advertised.

Just wondered if anyone has used it for a while, and how it worked out for you.

(here's a link to the product page, if you've also not heard of it before: TruFuel (http://www.trufuel50.com/default.aspx) )

JAF06SE
03-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Some swear by it. I have some of the 40:1 for my chainsaws. I've used the 50:1 before in my blower and trimmer. My brother only uses it. I keep the 40:1 cans but I mix my own 50:1 as I go through it too fast to keep buying them. It does work good and you know you always have the correct mix.

Jrocket
03-18-2013, 06:58 PM
I use it for a Stihl Chainsaw and echo weed whacker and a Honda lawnmower.

I don't trust ethanol gas in the above mentioned machines.

It works like a charm.

Easy to pick up a few extra cans at a time while at the box store

I highly recommend it. been using for the past year and It's the only thing I have ran in the above mentioned machines

Give it a shot.. will not disappoint :props:

BobbyG
03-18-2013, 07:00 PM
I'll have to try it! :props:

banzaitoyota
03-18-2013, 07:05 PM
I use it in the chain saw

TonyK
03-18-2013, 09:54 PM
I work in a repair shop and I have heard from other shops that the fuel gums up really bad in the carburetor. I have not seen any customers with tools coming in that have ran this fuel but I am going to stick with my regular fuel and proper winterizing procedures.

SR99
03-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Turns out there are a couple competitors:

Stihl Motomix: Outdoor Power Tools | STIHL USA Mobile (http://www.stihlusa.com/products/oils,-lubricants-and-fuels/premixed-fuel/motomix/)
(only available at Stihl dealers)

and VP small engine fuel from VP racing: Home - VP-SEF.com - Small Engine Fuels formulated by the "Mad Scientist"™ at VP Racing Fuels! (http://www.vp-sef.com/)
(available at lawn equipment specialty shops)

TruFuel seems to be easiest to find. Note that VP also has a product for 4-cycle engines.

spiralout462
03-18-2013, 10:24 PM
Check your local marinas or mom and pop's for ethanol free fuel. It's pretty easy to find in my area. The extra cost is worth the headaches in small engines.

JAF06SE
03-19-2013, 06:14 AM
I've never had a problem with the regular mixing over the past few years. I also only make my mix out of 93 octane premium too. That's all I run in my machines minus the truck that I run 89 in. It may be something to do the math on though with gas prices slowly making a climb.

ImWatchdog
03-19-2013, 06:51 AM
+1 on the 93 octane. I am still able to get ethanol free gas in my area. So ethanol free 93 octane with echo 2-stroke oil is the way to go for me. Only mix 2 gallons at a time to keep it fresh & don't store fuel or equipment where it goes thru extreme heat cycles. I know everyone can't store fuel/equipment in a temp controlled environment. (And definitely would not recommend it in living quarters.) But it works.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using AG Online

Shortspark
03-19-2013, 07:03 AM
I have many garden tools but have gone to battery operation on most of them. The one exception is my gas operated Hitachi leaf blower which has always been run on TruFuel, or its equivalent. Similar high octane and synthetic oil mixtures are available at WalMart for around five bucks a can. Sears makes their own brand at around six dollars. They are all about the same and their success in small engines is in ultimate protection of seals and rubber parts. Ethanol is a killer for these small parts whereas an automobile has bigger and stronger parts that can withstand the damaging effects of ethanol better. If I had a lot of tools I would probably go to the marina and buy a few gallons of boat gas now and mix my own (I would also have to add stabilizer) but since I use gas to run only one tool, I find the premixed can stuff to be much more convenient. Over a two year period the blower has started every time without a hitch.

SR99
04-23-2013, 08:46 PM
FYI TruFuel is on sale at O'Reilly auto parts thru the end of the month. Not sure if it's nationwide, but it's shown in my local ads.

Anyone use the 50:1 TruFuel in a 4-cycle mower? As I was taking my 2-cycle hedge trimmer around for repair estimates (both claimed carburetor membrane damage from ethanol gas was my problem), 2 of the guys I talked to said they run the 50:1 in their 4-cycle mower. They said if your mower is still under warranty it's possible a warranty claim could be rejected, but if it's not there's no harm in running the 50:1 and probably less harm than running ethanol-containing gas. Since these guys worked on the repair side, I'd think they'd know what they were talking about.