PDA

View Full Version : Megs D151 PRC Users please chime in!

BeachZone
03-18-2013, 01:10 PM
Hello everyone,

I recently added D151 to my arsenal for production work on DD's. I've only used it for a couple test spots before deciding that KAIO did a better job on that particular vehicle. Have yet to use it on a full exterior but have experienced (IMO) very short working time with the product.

I have used both White and Orange LC Flat and CCS pads via Flex 3401. Also have been Spritz'ing with both distilled water and Pinnacle Pad Conditioner to try and help work the product longer but i'm just not extremely happy with it. D151 cuts great and I can see it doing very well for my "1-Steps" but i'm having to use much more product than I'd like to.

I'd love to hear what all of the Geeks' comments are and their experience with it, and what they have done to help with this situation! Thanks in advance and I appreciate all the help!

-Beach

jrs1418
03-18-2013, 01:43 PM
I like D151, i've never used KAIO though to compare.

Yes, it seems a little extra product is needed to start, but after the pad is primed nicely, you should only need to add a strip of product to the pad. I just dont like how thick it is, tough to find a bottle that can squeeze it out easily.

AutowerxDetailing
03-18-2013, 02:31 PM
I have gone through almost a full gallon of D151 so I consider myself pretty experienced with it. There are some softer paint systems it simply doesn't play nicely with; however, for a majority of DD's it can really shine them up nicely.

In my opinion it is a perfect product for production detailing. It's relatively cheap, smells decent, gives decent correction ability (depending on pad/technique), and eliminates the need to go over the car again with another LSP.

After my pad is primed I work in small sections and use 3 pea sized drops on the pad for 1-2 heavy passes and 1 light pass (PCXP speed 5 or 6). It dries up pretty quick but you get the most cut by not over-saturating the pad with excess product. In most cases this will give at least 30-60% correction (dependent on a million different factors) and only takes slightly longer than applying a normal cleaner wax. It works great with MF pads too! :xyxthumbs:

BucboyInPa
03-18-2013, 03:10 PM
What pass are you sing,if you don't mind me asking?

Hoytman
03-18-2013, 03:15 PM
What pass are you sing...

Huh? :dunno:Have no clue what you're asking.

BobbyG
03-18-2013, 03:24 PM
I have gone through almost a full gallon of D151 so I consider myself pretty experienced with it. There are some softer paint systems it simply doesn't play nicely with; however, for a majority of DD's it can really shine them up nicely.

In my opinion it is a perfect product for production detailing. It's relatively cheap, smells decent, gives decent correction ability (depending on pad/technique), and eliminates the need to go over the car again with another LSP.

After my pad is primed I work in small sections and use 3 pea sized drops on the pad for 1-2 heavy passes and 1 light pass (PCXP speed 5 or 6). It dries up pretty quick but you get the most cut by not over-saturating the pad with excess product. In most cases this will give at least 30-60% correction (dependent on a million different factors) and only takes slightly longer than applying a normal cleaner wax. It works great with MF pads too! :xyxthumbs:

:iagree: There's some darn good information here!!

Meguiar's D151 works great with a dual action machine. I've used it with both my Porter Cable 7424 and my Flex 3401 using the directions Nicholas outlined about. Because Meguiar's D151 contains abrasives, it does a pretty slick job at removing swirls and other like defects.

Where Meguiar's D151 really shines is when it's used with a rotary machine. You talk about production detailing, Meguiar's D151 is a real performer.

Klasse all-in-one is another nice 1-step product but unlike Meguiar's D151 it does not incorporate abrasives but rather cleans with chemicals leaving behind some protection.

BobbyG
03-18-2013, 03:25 PM

Huh? :dunno:Have no clue what you're asking.

Bill, I think he means "What pads are you using?"

BeachZone
03-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the posts guys!

I like D151, i've never used KAIO though to compare.

Yes, it seems a little extra product is needed to start, but after the pad is primed nicely, you should only need to add a strip of product to the pad. I just dont like how thick it is, tough to find a bottle that can squeeze it out easily.
I really like D151. It cuts well, smells nice (reminds me of Dairy Queen's cherry dipped cone mmmm), lays down some protection etc but I just wish it worked longer before drying out on me! I mean, FG400 works long and good so why can't D151 work just as long!? lol

Thanks for the advice my friend!
My pad is always primed before working any product. I was using the Flex on speed 5 but trying to work in probably 3-4 moderate to heavy passes finishing with 1 light pass and it just simply won't do it well. I think i'll just have to cut the passes back a bit and deal with it.
I have a couple LC MF pads that i'll have to give a try!

If your asking about the pads i'm using, I am using LC Flat and CCS pads in both white and orange cutting foam.

Meguiar's D151 works great with a dual action machine. I've used it with both my Porter Cable 7424 and my Flex 3401 using the directions Nicholas outlined about. Because Meguiar's D151 contains abrasives, it does a pretty slick job at removing swirls and other like defects.

Where Meguiar's D151 really shines is when it's used with a rotary machine. You talk about production detailing, Meguiar's D151 is a real performer.

Klasse all-in-one is another nice 1-step product but unlike Meguiar's D151 it does not incorporate abrasives but rather cleans with chemicals leaving behind some protection.
I understand what your saying Bobby. I've been really wanting to take some extra funds and invest in the Flex rotary but haven't made up my mind yet. I haven't had the 3401 for very long and am loving every minute with it compared to my Megs g110v2!
Klasse is great! I just used KAIO on a '97 Land Rover Defender to remove some crazy oxidation and it did a great job! I really wanted to use D151 because I hadn't gotten the chance yet but the PTG readings were scary so I definitely didn't want any abrasives taking anything more away.

Has anyone tried mixing another product in with D151? I was thinking of tossing some Megs UP or even some of my Mens FF3000 to help with working time. Thoughts?

Thanks again guys!

-Beach

mwoolfso
03-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Try adding some Johnson's Baby Oil to the pad. That will extend the working time a bit.

BobbyG
03-19-2013, 11:02 AM
I understand what your saying Bobby. I've been really wanting to take some extra funds and invest in the Flex rotary but haven't made up my mind yet. I haven't had the 3401 for very long and am loving every minute with it compared to my Megs g110v2!
Klasse is great! I just used KAIO on a '97 Land Rover Defender to remove some crazy oxidation and it did a great job! I really wanted to use D151 because I hadn't gotten the chance yet but the PTG readings were scary so I definitely didn't want any abrasives taking anything more away.
-Beach

Flex machines are somewhat expensive when compared to the competition but the Flex 3401 has very little. Flex rotaries on the other hand have quite a lot of competition and one rival is the Makita 9227 (http://www.autogeek.net/ma927po.html). This is quite a machine for the money I really like mine..:props:

Dewalt (http://www.autogeek.net/dewalt-dwp849x-polisher.html) is another brand which many rave about but I don't have one so I couldn't quantify my comment.

BucboyInPa
03-19-2013, 01:11 PM
Yes pads,sorry

Meticulous-Detail
03-19-2013, 07:39 PM

All good info. I too love D151 and agree it doesn't always play nice with soft paints and outside temps. I have used it with foam and MF with good results.

I also like to combine D151 with DG501 on the pad at 1 to 1. It's like an AIO on steroids lol. I do find that DG501 will extend the working time of D151 slightly when combined on the pad.

Only used D151 with PC and GG.