PDA

View Full Version : Correcting a white Honda

RoyalBlUE08
03-17-2013, 07:34 AM
So most people know how Hondas taffeta white paint (and most white paints on plenty of manufactures) have a one stage paint with the clear mixed in the paint.

How many times can you correct a white car before you mess it up?

Last time I did a white Honda my pad turned white which means it was removing a little bit of the paint as well but now hes back for a second detail session.

The first time I used an Orange Lake Country CCS pad with meguiars ultimate compound and it came it perfect, then I used megs D301 with the polishing MF pad

Any advice on how to approach it the second time? I don't have a paint meter

TH3M B0N3Z
03-17-2013, 09:28 AM
So most people know how Hondas taffeta white paint (and most white paints on plenty of manufactures) have a one stage paint with the clear mixed in the paint.

Last time I did a white Honda my pad turned white which means it was removing a little bit of the paint as well but now hes back for a second detail session.

The first time I used an Orange Lake Country CCS pad with meguiars ultimate compound and it came it perfect, then I used megs D301 with the polishing MF pad

When was the first paint correction performed? When I had my Mazda3, I did a full paint correction once and maintained the paint from that point, but did some spot polishing here and there when necessary, which was not that often. The only time that car needed a 2nd full paint correction is when it visited the body shop, I told them not to wash it, they agreed, but washed it anyway and swirled the paint. I was so damn mad.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is... why does the paint on your car need another full blown paint correction session? Has it not been maintained properly with a foam gun and two bucket method? Not accusing or anything... just curious.

Circa40
03-17-2013, 09:42 AM
Make sure its single stage paint. A lot of the current Taffeta Whites are clear/base coats.

TH3M B0N3Z
03-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Ah, I just noticed you said "he's back" for a second detail, lol. I didn't realize this was a customer's car you were working on. In that case, I now understand why the customer is back, lol.

If I detailed cars for a living, I'd explain what they need to do to keep their paint looking nice, that or have them come back for maintenance washes as often as they need it.

I have a friend at work that wants me to shine up his 2012 Mustang 5.0, beautiful paint on that car, some sort of gray color (I'm really a sucker for gray paint), and I told him I'll have him watch my every move when I wash his car. He wants to borrow my foam gun, too, lol.

VroomVroom
03-17-2013, 12:35 PM

In order...

Multiple corrections - there is plenty of paint...assuming we're talking factory, and not a repaint, which always leads to more questions.

You remove paint with any correction effort....that's the whole point. You don't see it on a two/multi-stage finish because you're removing clear.

The finish is soft, so you may not need compound - try a finer polish and see if you can handle the correction in a single step.

Good luck, and congrats on the repeat business.

RoyalBlUE08
03-17-2013, 08:31 PM
In order...

Multiple corrections - there is plenty of paint...assuming we're talking factory, and not a repaint, which always leads to more questions.

You remove paint with any correction effort....that's the whole point. You don't see it on a two/multi-stage finish because you're removing clear.

The finish is soft, so you may not need compound - try a finer polish and see if you can handle the correction in a single step.

Good luck, and congrats on the repeat business.

got it. Thanks!

Yeah he lives in the city (Bronx) and goes to local car washes because he lives in an apartment building.

I'm going to try polishing it first and ill post up a thread after our appointment next month