PDA

View Full Version : Cobalt Boat

mattmku
03-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Posted a thread about this in the "ask Mike Phillips" page of the board and didn't get much of a response. Thought I might try here.

I'm wanting to clean and polish a two year old Cobalt 262. It's been we'll taken care of but is staring to show some swirls/spider webbing. The surface is still shiny and has virtually no oxidation.

I've devised this plan after some research on polishing boats. Information on polishing boats that are in fairly good shape is more difficult to find than expected.

Please critique!

Ill be using a PC 7424 for all steps. Obviously the boat will get a good wash first.

1. Collonite 920 cleaner applied with Lake Country white polishing pads.

2. 3M finesse it II glaze with Lake Country white polishing pads.

3. Collonite paste fleetwax with Lake Country red ultra soft wax/sealant foam.

Does this look appropriate to those with experience? Any particular tips for each step?

Thanks!!

primo spaghetti
03-16-2013, 04:08 PM
you might want to post some pics to get more responses...

from what i see, and im only guessing because you dont say, but im assuming the boat is gelcoat. Gelcoat can be very deceiving just how much oxidation it has...

id say you should be looking to a rotary to do a boat...and MAYBE your DA to finish...but id not go near it without a rotary unless you have dozens of hours to dedicate to it.

id also simplify your products to aquabuff 1000 with a wool pad and 2000 with a foam....

JAF06SE
03-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Don't bother with a rotary. It's a two year old Cobalt. You have no oxidation on it. I don't care if you haven't maintained it once. Like I said in your other post. Look into the Meg's marine line. You can pick it up about anywhere. Try the One Step Compound or the polish. Guide should work good for you. Like I said, you can get this stuff about anywhere. Your local boat shop should have pretty much the whole line. If you have a Bass Pro near you I know they have a lot of it.