PDA

View Full Version : Compounds with rotaries?

Pages : [1] 2

KJW Detailing
05-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Can the XMT line still be used with a rotary or should i looking into a different line of compounds?

thanks!

Whitethunder46
05-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Can the XMT line still be used with a rotary or should i looking into a different line of compounds?

thanks!

I know XMT's were designed with the PC in mind, but I'm sure they will work with a rotary, they just might break downt too fast.

Optimum line is a popular choice for rotaries.

D
05-13-2007, 09:48 PM
They CAN be used with a rotary Im pretty sure.

ScottB
05-13-2007, 09:49 PM
they can be used interchangably as most polishes. Always start at least abrasive and move forward to a compound only as needed.

KJW Detailing
05-13-2007, 09:49 PM
im sure they could be used but is their something that is specifically made for rotaries like it seems XMT is for the DA's...

Nica
05-13-2007, 10:38 PM
Well I have used the XMT line up with the rotary and it works but it does break down fast, The first time I used the XMT and my rotary I had a hard time adjusting because I was working the product for way too long. I thought it was becuase of speed but even at low rpm's it still broke down quite fast.

You second question about

im sure they could be used but is their something that is specifically made for rotaries like it seems XMT is for the DA's...

You bet there is, Menzerna is a wicked product that works great with the rotary, Optimum is another one oh and 3M makes some good stuff for the rotary too. There is lots of stuff you can try with the rotary and that are made for the rotary and that require rpm's/heat to break down and work properly. Menzerna and Optimum for me are really good, I'm very pleased with Optimum and Menzerna lives up to it's reputation. Now you just need to do a little homework with both these products becuase they are ment to do some serious work, so I would recommend a little reading on the products....just so you know what your getting into and be a little cautious when using it.

Well thaks my input, hope it helps.

KJW Detailing
05-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Now you just need to do a little homework with both these products becuase they are ment to do some serious work, so I would recommend a little reading on the products....just so you know what your getting into and be a little cautious when using it.

what do you mean?

Nica
05-13-2007, 11:00 PM
Well what I mean is Menzerna has PO85RD and PO106FF that are really good products, but they are very similar. Then you got Menzerna Power Gloss Compund which has a bite but just a little less then PO85RD and PO106FF. Then there is Menzerna Intensive Polish and Micro Polish. I like both of them and they sure have a bite to them. Now Optimum in the other hand has Optimum Polish, Optimum Compound, Optimum Hyper Compound. These are just some of the I products I prefer to used with my rotary. You can use them with the PC too.

The point is that you just need to know what each one can do and how well it can do what you want it to do for you. My self I like to know what I'm getting first and I tend to read lots about the properties of the product and I try to follow instruction when first time use. As I use it more and more I start to develop my own little tricks/habits.

I hope this makes sense...but keep in mind two things. First I'm no pro and second this is only my opinion that I have learned by my own experimenting. So it may work for me but not for others...but just sharing my feed back that's all.

Hope it helps.

KJW Detailing
05-13-2007, 11:10 PM
i appriciate your feedback very much...i was looking at both brands of products and found that is not as easy to determine what is needed unlike the setup of the XMT line that says 1-4 (4 being most abrasive and yadda yadda)...and i will be honest...when i read some of this stuff it goes right over my head...i read the bold print (takes out swirls)...get the idea...

i def. need to know what it is i am buying b4 hand b/c i dont have the money to use it and hope it does the job...i need to know that it will do the job...

i am looking for something that is similar to the XMT line in that you use this for heavy scratches, swirls, oxidation, and water eching...use this for intermediate swirls/scratches...use this for minor...use this for polish...

personally for my own car, i would think i only need something like minor swirls and then a polish...and i know that i will probably use a less abrasive pad b/c i have a very soft clear coat...but i know for cars like my brothers and other poeples cars i will do...will need something more abrasive and then i will have to follow that up to remove the remaining swirls and holograms...b4 applying a polish and/or wax...

Nica
05-13-2007, 11:23 PM
roadrunner1659, I purchased the entire line up from the "regular" line up to the profesional line up and like I said Menzerna lives up to it's name completely. Now bang for your ca$hola this stuff is not cheap but it will do the work. Now here is the trick that I found out, if you use Menzerna products you don't really need aggresive/cutting pads. You can get the job done with finishing pads (white, grey, blue Lake Country pads).

The best deal for such a good product is the Optimum, it's so cheap and it works really good too. If you want to experiment with a rotary and get a feel for the rotary and the compund I would go with Optimum. Like I said you can get good results with Optimum and it's kinda among the lines of XMT 1, 2, 3 and 4. With Optimum you need to find the pad and polish combo to work for you too.

If I was to recomend something I would recomend the Menzerna Final Polish II (really good stuff) and PO106FF. Now the trick is finding the right pad to work the 106FF becuase like I said you won't need an aggresive pad. If you really want to try Menzerna these are the two products I would recomend but if you want to get a feel of compound and don't want to spend to much money the Optimum is good and it gives good results. The best part of Optimum is that it has long working time and the thing is that it keeps bitting and bitting. So don't think that the longer you work it the product will break down, no the longer you work it the more you are removing.

Well glad I could help a little.

KJW Detailing
05-13-2007, 11:35 PM
well i dont need experience with using a rotary as that is what i use at work...although in no way am i saying i am an expert when it comes to using it...

Nica, lets begin with pads...i was thinking about getting the Edge Wave Pads, due to the fact that A. they are 2 pads in one and B. the wave will allow heat to disipate...which in turn will hopefully keep everything just a little bit cooler (less for me to worry about)...

what do you think about those pads?

Now, as far as the compounds and polishes go...its not that i am pinching for every penny i just want to make the best purchase for the work that i will be doing...i need products that will get the job done...i have no problum spending alittle more when ness but if i dont need to, of course i like saving a few bucks...who doesn't...

At work i have used just about every type of polish and compound imaginable (i actually think we have the entire line of a brand which i wont name)...but its like 10 different compounds and polishes...a bit over done if you ask me but then again im not the one buying all of this...some is used more then others like the seal b which is to remove swirls and pearl which is a polish...i generally use the alpha grit compound (somewhat grity) and seal b in combination with each other and then i come back with pearl...using different pads for each...

The only reason i dont take and use everything from work is b/c even to this day, i am not completly sold on the compounds and polishes we use...i honestly dont think there that great...but then again i really have nothing to go off of this b/c i have never used anything else...

Nica
05-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Well the Edge 2K waved pads work great on the rotary, they sure do keep the paint nice and cool but I found that Edge pads and Menzerna don't seem to mix well together. I thought it was just my but Al-53 (another Menzerna user) said the same thing. So I have the Edge 2K waved pads and the Lake Country pads...well plus Meg's pads and soon I'll have the Menzerna pads too.....any who, if you decide to go with Menzerna keep that in mind (well just a heads up that's all).

I've tried the Edge pads with Optimum, XMT and even Poorboys and the Edge pads work great. I like how easy they are to use, when one side is dirty you just flip it and away you go.

As for compund, sounds like you got experiance with the rotary and well to be honest I'm leaning more to Menzerna products. Not cheap but for my vehicles and friend who own high end vehicles I'll use Menzerna products. They will get the job done for sure but you don't need to buy the entire line up. Really all you need is PO85RD or PO106FF (I find them to be very much a like) and Final Polish II. Now the reason why I say PO85RD is becuase it's the new formula to PO106FF, PO85RD seems to dust less than PO106FF (that's just my opinion only). Now Final Polish II, man this stuff gives the paint a big umph. Really brings the paint to life, I love it. The new formula/profesional line is Micro Polish. I really like Final Polish II.

I've used PO106FF on a red Mercedes with an orange Edge pad and it left some minor scratches. I then went over it with my Cyclo green Edge pads on the Cyclo with final Polish II and this combo was amazing. Keep in mind that this Mercedes has the ceramic clear coat. The new Menerna formula was made for ceramic clear coat's and it left me speach less.

I haven't had the opurtunity to use Optimum on a ceramic clear coat though, I'm curious to see how it will do.

Man, looks like it's just you and me here hhahaha...I hope others jump in.

KJW Detailing
05-14-2007, 08:17 AM
so if menzerna is made with ceramic clear coats in mind, then would it not be good to use on cars without ceramic clear coats? gees i dont even know what type of clear coat i have haha...

BILL
05-14-2007, 08:25 AM
I like MENZERNA alot with my rotary......

Nica
05-14-2007, 08:33 AM
so if menzerna is made with ceramic clear coats in mind, then would it not be good to use on cars without ceramic clear coats? gees i dont even know what type of clear coat i have haha...

Well I was under the same impression roadrunner but since Menzerna has made it's formula for ceramic clear coat it can still be used on regular clear coats but that is why you don't really want to use aggressive pads. Finishing pads is all you need with Menzerna products. The more aggressive you go with the pad and let’s say PO106FF then the more micro marring you get and hazing too.

I've seen some pro's that use PO106FF use a white Lake Country pad and get the paint to a perfect shine and that do not require to go over it a finishing polish. I'm not quite there my self, I need to practice/experiment some more before I get there but that's the thing with not just the Menzerna line I'm sure with all polish/compound in general. Once you have a technique down you will be able to achieve great results.