PDA

View Full Version : Lexol cleaner/conditioner?

Pages : [1] 2

otruba_843
03-15-2013, 08:18 PM
I saw it at the local wally world. Is it any good? My BMW leather is in great shape for 4.5 years. The car still has some new car smell and it always smells like leather. Is the conditioner good for normal maintenance like once a weekend? What about the cleaner for clean seats or dirty ones? I have the soft upholstery brush for the porter cable and it works great for the leather.

coachhoach
03-15-2013, 09:03 PM
I will say that the conditioner definitely doesn't have a great/pleasing smell to it. I also don't think it's meant to be applied that frequently -- probably more of an every couple months type of thing. Would it hurt? Probably not... but is it worth it? Probably not... That's just me though.

Smoothy
03-15-2013, 09:14 PM
Lexol's leather cleaner is probably the best value you can buy. It's a gentle cleaner that's suitable for routine cleaning, is inexpensive, and widely available. Based on your comments that your seats are in generally good condition, this cleaner is a good choice.

Lexol's leather conditioner is also a good product, but not appropriate for most auto seats. That's because modern auto seats are covered leather, which means they have a finish over the leather that will not absorb the conditioner. Lexol's leather conditioner is good for use on unfinished leather as is commonly found on home furniture and apparel.

To protect your leather seats after cleaning, you want to use a leather protectant. This is basically a dressing on the finish of your leather.

mwoolfso
03-15-2013, 09:28 PM
I use Lexol on my dash, VW leatherette and GMC leather and have no problems with them whatsoever. On the leatherette the surfaces are very slick for a day. Your butt slides a little until you get into your normal driving position. What I found is that using a microfiber pad works better than a towel for applying the conditioners and cleaners, no matter what the surface.

Last year I pitted Lexol and CarPro PERL on my VW interior; Lexol won. It resisted dust significantly longer than PERL on my dash. I suspect PERL could have won had I layered it, but time is $$$ and didn't want to go that far.

Smoothy
03-15-2013, 09:40 PM
I use Lexol on my dash, VW leatherette and GMC leather and have no problems with them whatsoever. Which Lexol product are you referring to? Their product line includes various treatments for leather and vinyl.

What I found is that using a microfiber pad works better than a towel for applying the conditioners and cleaners, no matter what the surface. Good tip! Thanks

mwoolfso
03-15-2013, 10:55 PM
Which Lexol product are you referring to? Their product line includes various treatments for leather and vinyl.

Good tip! Thanks

Vinylex for leatherette and dashboard. Leather cleaner and conditioner for the real stuff.

Smoothy
03-15-2013, 11:11 PM
Vinylex for leatherette and dashboard. Leather cleaner and conditioner for the real stuff.It sounds like you're satisified with your results, which is great. I use Lexol Leather Cleaner for my seats and Lexol Leather Conditioner on my home furniture. I think they offer the best quality for the price.

But if you really want to fully maximize your results, I suggest the following:

Continue to use Lexol Cleaner on your leather, but replace the conditioner with a protectant. Lexol does not offer a leather protectant, so I recommend Leather Master Protection Cream.

For vinyl, Lexol's Vinylex is a two-in-one product that combines a cleaner with a protectant. Generally, you get better results with products dedicated for a single purpose. Not that combo products don't work well, they are a good convenience for most consumers who want to get things done quickly. But if you really want to maximize results, then separate solutions are more effective. Lexol does not offer separate products for vinyl. So I recommend Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer Spray as the vinyl/plastic cleaner, and Aerospace 303 Protectant as the vinyl dressing.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-15-2013, 11:15 PM
Terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2BlackChevys
03-15-2013, 11:42 PM
I have used both recently and it's ok I guess. I'm going to keep looking for something better though!

SonOfOC
03-16-2013, 12:09 AM
Terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:iagree:

Lexol is horrible. The cleaner can't clean anything greater than a smudge. The conditioner is a little better, but you need to apply, let it sit, and clean off with a MF.

I've tried it on many different brands of cars. One of most underperforming products ever.

PM me. $5 for shipping and I will send you Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner 70% full for free.

Smoothy
03-16-2013, 12:17 AM
Lexol is horrible. The cleaner can't clean anything greater than a smudge. The conditioner is a little better, but you need to apply, let it sit, and clean off with a MF.

I've tried it on many different brands of cars. One of most underperforming products ever.Lexol is a gentle cleaner for routine care. For a bigger job, I would go with Leather Master Strong Cleaner. What is your preferred leather cleaner?

SonOfOC
03-16-2013, 02:44 AM
Lexol is a gentle cleaner for routine care. For a bigger job, I would go with Leather Master Strong Cleaner. What is your preferred leather cleaner?

My go to is Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel.
Dirty stuff gets Leather Master or Leatherique.

Mike Moore
03-16-2013, 05:07 AM
I've had good results with Zaino Z-9 and Z-10

ShaunD
03-16-2013, 05:45 AM
Lexol isn't a terrible product and I have actually used the cleaner wipes to rremove makeup from a visor.
If you are cleaning your leather every weekend then I would suggest a 3-in-1 like Lexol's 3-in-1. It will give you the light cleaning and protection you are looking for. If you know your leather is coated like domestic leather upholstery then any product made for vinyl will work for lightly cleaning and protecting leather. The only areas that are really going to benefit from a conditioner on coated leather are seams and perforations in the leather.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online

lokerola
03-16-2013, 06:30 AM
I use them to maintain the leather in my Charger. But when I run out I'm going to try something else, mainly becuase of the smell. Lexol has a strong, pungent smell that lasts for up to a day. I hate driving the car the first 24 hours after I apply the stuff.