PDA

View Full Version : Glass Polish Recommendation

WRXINXS
03-15-2013, 06:22 PM
I'm looking for a glass polish to use by hand or PC on glass that is in near perfect shape to get it ready for Opti-Glass.

I was thinking either DP high performance glass restorer/Pinnacle GlassWork Water Spot Remover/Duragloss nu-glass, or possibly GTechniq G4 Glass nano-polish. I am leaning towards maybe doing it by hand?

I know these products contain abrasives and I just do not want to scratch the glass either way (If I do it by hand or machine).

Any recommendations on light polishes that would prep the surface and not scratch glass? Also do you guys recommend doing it by hand or machine?

(I actually have some Ceriglass but it is getting pretty old and I hear it is a pretty strong polish.)

Drew

mwoolfso
03-15-2013, 06:23 PM
I have used Menz SF4500 on glass with a tangerine pad.... no issues at all. I have used OTC - Mother's Glass Polish as well. Machine is better... more even pressure across the surface. By hand you can easily scratch the surface since the hand and fingers apply pressure in a smaller area.

WRXINXS
03-15-2013, 06:28 PM
I have used Menz SF4500 on glass with a tangerine pad.... no issues at all. I have used OTC - Mother's Glass Polish as well. Machine is better... more even pressure across the surface. By hand you can easily scratch the surface since the hand and fingers apply pressure in a smaller area.

How about DA "Tick marks" from glass polishing though?

VroomVroom
03-15-2013, 06:38 PM
If it's in near perfect shape, I'd probably skip it, or at most, I'd consider a mild chemical polish. Poorboy's Pro Polish, or really any chemical metal polish (i.e Optimum, Clearkote, etc.) will do the trick.

DaveT435
03-15-2013, 07:12 PM
I've used the DP. Not aggressive at all. Left the glass nice and smooth. I used it with the griot's 3" glass polishing pads. I wouldn't worry about adding any scratches with that one.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
03-15-2013, 07:17 PM
Definitely this: Pinnacle GlassWork Water Spot Remover, hard water spot remover, glass water spot remover, glass polish, water spot remover for cars (http://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-glass-water-spot-remover.html)

SuperiorAutoLLC
03-15-2013, 07:18 PM
I've used the GG Glass Polish with the 3" GG glass polishing pad on the 3" GG DA and have had awesome results.

FUNX650
03-15-2013, 07:22 PM
I'm looking for a glass polish to use by hand or PC on glass that is in
near perfect shape to get it ready for Opti-Glass.

Any recommendations on light polishes that would prep the surface and not scratch glass?
Also do you guys recommend doing it by hand or machine?

(I actually have some Ceriglass but it is getting pretty old
and I hear it is a pretty strong polish.)

Drew
Hi Drew...

If your auto-glass is (to paraphrase an Alabama hit song):
"Close enough to perfect for you"...

Then...
I'd just follow these steps of Optimum's directions for Opti-Glass prep:
'Clean; Clay;
And, then: IPA'.

As you already know...
Many auto-glass scratches, (if you have any), can be removed using cerium-oxide polishes (Ceriglass).
However, there's the chance of inflicting more unwanted scratches; and, even the chance of further
compromising of auto-glass' clarity by heat-induced distortion/(warping) from the glass-polishing-process.

To really clean auto-glass of all contamination...
I'll use one of the following on a:
-Terry cloth by hand
-Foam polishing pad on a PC :

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/M_4.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/53961)http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/M_49.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/53962)

Of course, if you deem these polishes to be too aggressive...
A cleaner-wax/AIO may be just what the doctor ordered in your case. Or M205.

The Opti-Glass prep would then be, (for me):
'Clean; Clay;
Polish away;
And, then: IPA'.

Good Luck on your: OGlass-ing processes.

:)

Bob

davidc
03-15-2013, 07:50 PM
I use Duragloss nu-glass. Always turns out perfect.

Dave

Rsurfer
03-15-2013, 07:55 PM
I use Duragloss nu-glass. Always turns out perfect.

Dave
My go to water spot remover for glass. If you have water etching, use Ceri Glass.

rms64
03-15-2013, 08:41 PM
Just did my front / rear windows tonite with Pinnacle Glasswork Water Spot Remover (by DA with a polishing pad) with great results. Good stuff. :xyxthumbs:

Baconz2012
03-15-2013, 08:51 PM
My go to water spot remover for glass. If you have water etching, use Ceri Glass.

I've used ceri-glass and I'm still wary whenever I have to bust it out. Ceri-glass is a something that either makes you or breaks you. I use p21s paint cleanser.

AutowerxDetailing
03-15-2013, 08:54 PM
+1 for CeriGlass!

WRXINXS
03-16-2013, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I think that as Bob and a few others had mentioned if the glass is close enough to perfect (Which it is) I may just use my "Glass Scrub" stripper with a wet towel as I usually do (To maintain glass) during the wash process and then use clay and Eraser and go straight to the Opti-Glass.

I may try that Pinnacle polish for the one car I have that does have a few spots.

Drew