PDA

View Full Version : My Leather/Vinyl Product Choices - Feedback Invited

Smoothy
03-15-2013, 01:48 PM
I’m never going to have the experience or skill of a professional detailer, but I can at least select the best value products for my DIY interior auto care. Here’s the outcome of my extensive online research which leverages the experience and wisdom of so many good folks who contribute to these forums. While I understand that everyone has preferences, please let me know if you see anything in my selections that looks just plain wrong, or could be improved from a value (quality and cost) perspective.

Leather Care: Like most modern vehicles, I have covered leather seats. For routine care, I’ll use a cleaner followed by a protectant to dress the leather finish.

Cleaner – Lexol Leather Cleaner Spray. Very popular as a gentle cleaner, low price.

Protectant – Leather Master Protection Cream. Highly regarded, reasonably priced. Leaves a matte finish, not glossy.

Vinyl and Plastic Care:

Cleaner – Just a lightly damp towel. For any remaining stains and dirt, I’ll use Meguiar’s Quick Interior Detailer Spray. Highly regarded, low price.

Protectant – Aerospace 303 Protectant. Highly regarded, reasonably priced. Leaves a low sheen finish, not shiny. UV protection. No objectionable odor.

Thanks in advance for your questions or feedback!

Pureshine
03-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Those are all good products you will be fine :)

FUNX650
03-15-2013, 02:21 PM
:welcome:...to AGO...Smoothy

Bob

VroomVroom
03-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Bada boom. Lots of great products out there, but nothing objectionable about what you've chosen. Make those interiors happy!

Smoothy
03-15-2013, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the quick replies! I didn't want to make my very first post too long, so here are some additional notes from my research which may be helpful for other newbies:

- A lot of detailing products found in local retail stores are popular due to consumer demand for high gloss/shiny results, despite the fact that this finish may not be good for your vehicle’s surface materials. I think this “Armor-All Effect” has migrated from tire walls to everything else. This has pushed me away from neighborhood stores to online stores with better selections.

- Lexol Leather Cleaner is about half the price of Leather Master Soft Cleaner. These gentle cleaners are sufficient for routine care. But if I had a very tough cleaning job to tackle, I would go for Leather Master Strong Cleaner.

- I was surprised to learn that you should not use a conditioner on covered leather which has a finished surface. That’s why you don’t see a conditioner on my list. (I do use a conditioner on my home leather furniture.)

- The makers of 303 Protectant suggest to use their dressing on both vinyl and covered leather which has a vinyl-like surface. This would certainly simplify my product needs by combining two functions into a single solution. But the most convincing advice I got was that using 303 Protectant on leather seats would result in an undesirable sheen finish where you really prefer matte. So use a proper vinyl treatment on vinyl, and a proper leather treatment on leather.

- Leatherique gets top ratings and is expensive. It’s priced for the infrequent restoration project rather than routine care, at least for the mid-range vehicles I drive. Might be appropriate for high-end luxury cars.

Let me know if you disagree. This forum is a great resource for learning!

GS2011
03-15-2013, 05:24 PM
Leatherique is a great product, and an excellent company to deal with. I have used it for years. and have had real good results. :xyxthumbs:

Smoothy
03-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Leatherique is a great product, and an excellent company to deal with. I have used it for years. and have had real good results. :xyxthumbs:I've read many good things about Leatherique. I assume you are using the Rejuvenator Oil and Prestine Clean. Unless you have a top end luxury vehicle, I'm assuming your seats are covered leather like mine.

I performed the "water drop test" on my Land Rover's seats to confirm they are covered leather. The water did not spot, it just beaded up and rolled off, even on the section that is perforated. It's hard to imagine that any oil or conditioner would be absorbed through this barrier.

Do you find that the Rejuvenator Oil actually permeates the finish on your seats?