PDA

View Full Version : Reselling Products - How to Carry them Mobile

davisautodetail
03-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Hey guys,

I'm likely going to do some reselling of products, pretty limited supply overall since good products are hard to get here, especially for the "car guys".

I'd like to be able to bring some stuff to do "on the spot" sales as I'm out and about in my mobile rig, which consists of my Yukon XL Denali and a trailer.

I'm at a bit of a loss for how to carry stuff along with me, as well as showing my clients some choices. I'll have a bunch of sample sizes that will hopefully lead to bigger size sales, so they aren't that hard to carry.

Any ideas? I could probably find some sort of vintage traveling salesman type case, or just use some small plastic boxes, maybe even a couple of drawer units for the back of the Yukon.

I appreciate the input!

Pureshine
03-15-2013, 11:37 AM
I'm not sure but don't you need a resellers permit ? I don't sell product.

davisautodetail
03-15-2013, 11:46 AM
I'm not sure but don't you need a resellers permit ? I don't sell product.

There are several companies that you can resell products for/through, and all have different setups and level's of buy ins, as well as rules for becoming a dealer. Some are exclusive, some aren't. I've been a huge fan of Adam's stuff, and use their products as well as a lot of stuff I get here on AG. I'm starting with them first, then hope to move on to other lines.

My goal is not really to make much money from the products themselves, but to have an "in" with the more DIY car guys, which hopefully will lead to more correction type work (since they typically do their own work.) But, if I can give them stuff that performs better than they can get at AutoZone, and make a few bucks on the side, all the better. Plus, with the buy in, I can buy my supplies at wholesale.

Some companies have as little as a $300 buy in.

Hopefully this is an okay forum discussion. I don't see myself as a competitor to AG, and still buy retail product from them, and will continue to do so. I'm not even going to offer shipping, so unless you can pick it up from me or I can hand it to you, you can't buy it.

rcomito
03-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Hey Kevin -

How about some kind of display rack incorporated into the doors of your trailer? You probably don't need to carry more than two or three of each product.

Rick

Audios S6
03-15-2013, 11:58 AM
What pureshine is eluding to is similar to a business license, you generally recieve it from the state. You may also need a peddler's permit from the city/county in which you intend to "peddle" your goods. You may be able to circumvent the peddler's permit if you are not actually going door to door, depending on the language in the city ordinance and how it is interpreted.

davisautodetail
03-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Hey Kevin -

How about some kind of display rack incorporated into the doors of your trailer? You probably don't need to carry more than two or three of each product.

Rick

That's a good idea Rick, and I should have said this, but I'm working out of an open trailer right now, not an enclosed. I could do a similar setup on the sides of the back of the Yukon though.

This is what the back looks like of the Denali.

http://0.tqn.com/d/suvs/1/0/U/4/-/-/09GMCdenalicargowrow3.jpg

davisautodetail
03-15-2013, 12:05 PM
What pureshine is eluding to is similar to a business license, you generally recieve it from the state. You may also need a peddler's permit from the city/county in which you intend to "peddle" your goods. You may be able to circumvent the peddler's permit if you are not actually going door to door, depending on the language in the city ordinance and how it is interpreted.

Oh, that makes sense. I'm kind of fortunate here in MT. There's no sales tax, so you don't have to mess with that. You do need a business license, which I already have, so I should be covered. I'm fully insured as well, so my business-side stuff is established.