PDA

View Full Version : Applying Sealants

kevin39208
03-15-2013, 08:57 AM
I know I've read this somewhere before, but can't find the topic now. What applicator(s) do you guys use to apply a sealant to the paint. I have the DP paint sealant with some MF applicator pads or some yellow foam pads. Thanks in advance for the suggestions

DaHen
03-15-2013, 09:11 AM
I've used the good old yellow foam pads when applying Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0.

VroomVroom
03-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Definitely foam. You're not doing any, "work" here - your goal is to apply a very light, even coat of product. You can prime the pad with some QD spray (or, if you have it, the spray version of the sealant you're using) or with some extra product, which will prevent 'grab' as you start.

FUNX650
03-15-2013, 10:24 AM
I have the DP paint sealant with some MF applicator pads or some yellow foam pads.
IMO...You're good to go with either "type" of applicator.

Also...I always:

prime the pad with some QD spray.

:)

Bob

Pureshine
03-15-2013, 10:28 AM
I use a foam pad for all my sealants.

sasson
03-15-2013, 12:34 PM
I must say, that I tried cheap Foam pads with Sealants and Waxes.
Now... I am 100% Sure, that If you use REAL high quality pads, You will use LESS, and it would be MUCH MUCH easier to apply.
Checkout Chemical guys pads ( The red ones ) there any many different time... UFO, Circle, Big, Small... Their all great, wash them every time they get dry or very dirty.

Shortspark
03-15-2013, 01:31 PM
These are just too cheap not to try: 8 Piece Terry Cloth Staining Pads (http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-terry-cloth-staining-pads-46166.html)

They have a foam insert surrounded by fine terry cloth. I use them even for spray wax such as OCW, which in fact I did today. I spray the pad with OCW and get into every corner and door jam with ease. I could just spray and wipe with Microfiber towels but this allows me to spread the OCW much thinner and sort of work in (it is a wax after all and not a QD). After I finish a panel I buff with a microfiber towel. They do pretty well with sealants as well (I've tried them with Duragloss 111). One pad will do a normal size car before it gets too saturated and "spongy", as Sasson indicated a cheap pad might do. You may need two pads for a big SUV and at this price just toss them out when finished - great for getting into wheels as well. If price is no object, then a good quality foam pad attached to a velcro type hand holder is even better. The best of all being an electric polisher because it is faster and you can really spread the sealant out thin with a machine.

ScottB
03-15-2013, 01:36 PM
foam .....

kevin39208
03-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Thanks guys for all of the suggestions. I always learn something new everyday on AG Forums. Im the MAN

cardaddy
03-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Are you talking about "hand held" applicators or foam pads for the DA? Just wondering because hand held you can use pretty much anything out there that'll fit in your hand as a typical applicator. Now if it's the DA you'll want something really soft for sealant, black or higher I'm thinking.