PDA

View Full Version : Please Criticize My Detailing Plan!

TroyM
03-15-2013, 12:31 AM
Its been over 8 months since I last detailed my cars (not quite detailing, but a horrific attempt to detail using a $30 Ryobi orbital and microfiber bonnet). I've learned quite a lot since then but I still have a long way to go. Both cars suffer from many swirls since I have incorrectly cleaned them previously.

-Any suggestions, advice, or criticism would be highly appreciated as I am still a beginner and trying to learn! :)

I'll be using Griot's 6" Random Orbital, Griot's Orange and Red Pad, Meguiar's W-8006, and Meguiar's W-9006 depending on the step, and Cobra microfibers.

Step 1: Full Wash
Meg wash mitt, 2 bucket method, etc.
Step 2: Clean engine bay (engine bays are fairly clean)
Meguiar's Engine Cleaner
Step 3: Clean tires and wheels
Mother's Brush Kit
Step 4: Clay
Mother's Gold Clay Bar System
Step 5: Remove Swirls
Meguiar's #9 Swirl Remover
Step 6: Polish
Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
Step 7: Apply Glaze
Chemical Guy's EZ Creme with Acrylic with Acrylic Shine II
Step 8 : Polish Plastic Parts
Mother's Plastic Polish
Step 9: Apply Wax
Carnuba Wax Paste
Step 10: Top Wax
Collinite 845 Insulator Wax
Step 11: Dress vinyl parts, etc.
Chemical Guy's Silk Shine
Step 12: Platinum High Gloss Tire Shine

Afterwards, maintain them with Chemical Guys Speed Wipe Spray Detailer and Streak Free Quick Speed Shine Wax. Should I use Meg's Ultimate Compound at any time? Both cars only have swirl marks, one has a small scratch.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post!

Colinpd137
03-15-2013, 12:46 AM
IMO I would cut Step 7 out because if its swirl free there is no need for a glaze (filler). Also topping glaze with wax does not last very long and will need recoating fairly soon.

Great plan otherwise!

psnt1ol
03-15-2013, 12:48 AM
Its been over 8 months since I last detailed my cars (not quite detailing, but a horrific attempt to detail using a $30 Ryobi orbital and microfiber bonnet). I've learned quite a lot since then but I still have a long way to go. Both cars suffer from many swirls since I have incorrectly cleaned them previously.

-Any suggestions, advice, or criticism would be highly appreciated as I am still a beginner and trying to learn! :)

I'll be using Griot's 6" Random Orbital, Griot's Orange and Red Pad, Meguiar's W-8006, and Meguiar's W-9006 depending on the step, and Cobra microfibers.

Step 1: Full Wash
Meg wash mitt, 2 bucket method, etc.
Step 2: Clean engine bay (engine bays are fairly clean)
Meguiar's Engine Cleaner
Step 3: Clean tires and wheels
Mother's Brush Kit
Step 4: Clay
Mother's Gold Clay Bar System
Step 5: Remove Swirls
Meguiar's #9 Swirl Remover
Step 6: Polish
Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
Step 7: Apply Glaze
Chemical Guy's EZ Creme with Acrylic with Acrylic Shine II
Step 8 : Polish Plastic Parts
Mother's Plastic Polish
Step 9: Apply Wax
Carnuba Wax Paste
Step 10: Top Wax
Collinite 845 Insulator Wax
Step 11: Dress vinyl parts, etc.
Chemical Guy's Silk Shine
Step 12: Platinum High Gloss Tire Shine

Afterwards, maintain them with Chemical Guys Speed Wipe Spray Detailer and Streak Free Quick Speed Shine Wax. Should I use Meg's Ultimate Compound at any time? Both cars only have swirl marks, one has a small scratch.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post!

Before you execute your plan on the entire car.....Do a test spot first to see if your plan is viable. The plan might change base on the result. There is no such thing as a "Perfect" plan that works on all vehicles.

I also think the Glaze is not needed if the surface is swirl free.

Good Luck.

ProDetail
03-15-2013, 12:50 AM
I would also use C845 before the Carn if at all. If you go 2 coats of C845 you'll new covered for a good while.

Sent from my PC36100 using AG Online

TroyM
03-15-2013, 01:00 AM
Thank you for the feedback! I definitely appreciate it.

Time to scratch off the Glaze from the list and also go with 2 coats of Collinite 845 as ProDetail suggested :)

What area would be best to do a test area? 1'x1' on the trunk?

psnt1ol
03-15-2013, 01:19 AM
Thank you for the feedback! I definitely appreciate it.

Time to scratch off the Glaze from the list and also go with 2 coats of Collinite 845 as ProDetail suggested :)

What area would be best to do a test area? 1'x1' on the trunk?

Horizontal surface works best. Find the worst spot on the hood or the trunk and start there. You might have to do several spots to refine your process so don't get discourage.

dooyaunastan
03-15-2013, 01:42 AM
I would clean your tires and wheels and engine bay before your complete wash

RLucky82
03-15-2013, 02:24 AM
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Vaipulu
03-15-2013, 02:41 AM

Yep.

Try BnS orange pads ,awesome pads.

What kind of clay lube are you using? I hate the show time QD as a clay lube. For the longest time I just used soapy water to clay... All the wasted years w/o clay lube..

Pumaeu
03-15-2013, 07:53 AM
I really like Mother's claybar is really mild and cheap... If you have the chance, try the ONR for clay lube, it is amazing, and if diluted properly you'll have a great quality Clay lube for a long time.

I'd use Collinite 845 and then just topped with carnauba, and avoiding glazes.

Also try to detail your tires and wheels first. :xyxthumbs: Just my humble opinion.

mwoolfso
03-15-2013, 08:53 AM
I really like Mother's claybar is really mild and cheap... If you have the chance, try the ONR for clay lube, it is amazing, and if diluted properly you'll have a great quality Clay lube for a long time.

I'd use Collinite 845 and then just topped with carnauba, and avoiding glazes.

Also try to detail your tires and wheels first. :xyxthumbs: Just my humble opinion.

I agree. No need for a glaze unless you are looking to hide something... and even then there may be better alternatives.

As for the wheels I will typically wash the car and before I pass a drying towel over the vehicle I will clean the wheels. This way any over spray will hit somewhat wet surfaces and the need to wipe surfaces again is reduced to a bare minimum. Maybe 30% of the time I will clean the wheels first.... depends on my mood.