View Full Version : 3m head light restoration

HellaBroke
03-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Used the 3m headlight kit
3" drill hook and loop backing plate
500, 800, 1000, 3000 grit sand paper,
3m rubing compound
3" 3m orange waffle style pad

Super easy to use, double painters tape all surrounding area of head light 2-3 pass medium drill speed with 500 gritt, 1-2 pass with 800, 1 pass with 1000 gritt, 1-2 pass with 3000, 1 slow pass with rubbing compound and pad.
Normally I would seal the headlights with opticoat, however the passanger side head light is getting baked this weekend (seal is leaking you can see in the attached photo... ) so after its baked and I reseal the lense ill polish one more time if needed and opticoat for uv protection...
This suv definetly hasnt been detailed and they arent interested. It just bugged me that he drives his little girl around at night and to day care in the morning when its dark out... he said hes been driving witb his high beams on... so did this to try out the kit and help him out.
Nice kit for 20 bucks and someone who wants to try 5o fix there own....

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AG Online

cartman57
03-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Seems like you're another satisified 3M headlight restorer kit customer, that one looks great!

oldmodman
03-14-2013, 01:46 PM
The 3M kit is great.

Very easy to use and I have never found a light lens that wouldn't come out great.

My only change from your method is that I stop after 3000. I don't polish the lens. I just coat it with the marine spar varnish. Stopping after the 3000 leave the perfect amount of "tooth" for the varnish to really grab onto. And after the varnish dries I cannot tell the polished from the unpolished side in terms of clarity.

HellaBroke
03-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Seems like you're another satisified 3M headlight restorer kit customer, that one looks great!

Thanks. They both came out clear the passanger side is just badly condensated on the inside is why it looks so cloudy.
Bang for your buck and easy to use. I could see correcting lights by hand using the same method for those without a drill however Im a big fan of not spending the afternoon rubbing by hand...

Ill have to try a marine sealant. I have another guy with painted smoked tail lights that wants me to see if I can sand it back off to factory look might be a good chance to try that... what about when the sealant wears off though? Arent all of your sanding marks going to show again?

RedXray
03-14-2013, 09:00 PM
I could see correcting lights by hand using the same method for those without a drill however Im a big fan of not spending the afternoon rubbing by hand...

I just take my rotary with a wool pad, M105 on the edges, 600 RPM first pass, 1200 second, coat of wax, bing bang boom and done.

RedXray
03-14-2013, 09:26 PM
13 year old Outback with type III water spots from hell... neglected paint

One pass with the rotary... about one minute on the left headlight (no wax)

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc195/RedXray/IMG_2074.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc195/RedXray/IMG_2080.jpg

HellaBroke
03-15-2013, 04:59 PM
I just take my rotary with a wool pad, M105 on the edges, 600 RPM first pass, 1200 second, coat of wax, bing bang boom and done.

I havent manned up and picked up a rotory yet.... :( dont trust myself...

Heres a toyota pickup another on lunch and board...

CM8 6MT
03-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Very nice results!

poko
03-16-2013, 08:40 PM
I love the 3" orange pad that came with the kit and am using it for paint compounding now. I want to buy a same pad but cannot find as an individual product. Is a 3M blue pad equal to the orange pad in the restoration kit?