PDA

View Full Version : When should I throw my Polishing foam pads?

sasson
03-14-2013, 04:47 AM
I searched the forum for an answer But... I couldn't find any...

When Should I throw my Pads? what signs are saying "THROW ME" ?
I saw something about when the pads are getting "Caked" I don't really know what this means...

I use 6.5 Inch Lake Country Hydro-Tech Foam Pads, There are only 3... Makes it super easy to choose...

My Red pad ( Compounding ) Is now Very Soft... Not like in the beginning... I thought this might be a good sign to throw it ?

Thank you Guys..! :dblthumb2:

BillE
03-14-2013, 07:53 AM
I don't really know how to explain when, it's kinda like when they loose their shape (the center has collapsed), it starts falling apart (from kissing 'edges'). I think one could say, "When they just 'don't work right'."

But, DON'T just toss them! You can cut them up for various hand work and such.

Bill

ihaveacamaro
03-14-2013, 08:09 AM
never, cut the compounding ones and you have trim and tire dressing applicators.

Cut the polish ones and you have hand polish applicators.

Cut the wax ones and you have hand wax applicators.

DaveT435
03-14-2013, 08:23 AM
I searched the forum for an answer But... I couldn't find any...

When Should I throw my Pads? what signs are saying "THROW ME" ?
I saw something about when the pads are getting "Caked" I don't really know what this means...

I use 6.5 Inch Lake Country Hydro-Tech Foam Pads, There are only 3... Makes it super easy to choose...

My Red pad ( Compounding ) Is now Very Soft... Not like in the beginning... I thought this might be a good sign to throw it ?

Thank you Guys..! :dblthumb2:

Isn't red the finishing pad??

sasson
03-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Isn't red the finishing pad??

Oh yea.. so "The blue one"....
That was wrong... well... My mothers car... I polished it with Meguiars 101 + Finishing pad...
HOW THE HELL didn't I see that... I polished so much cars with the blue one... I took a new red pad... whY???

Does a finishing pad like that with Meguiars 101 Would do anything?
I am already polishing it again with the cutting bad -_- oh boy... Glad I only did only one panel...

oldmodman
03-14-2013, 01:55 PM
As was said I never actually throw them out. They get retired and sent onto other jobs. Like cleaning the shower and wash room sink.
And the really soft ones get re-purposed as applicators.

And how do I know when to switch? When they start to chunk, split, and cup.