PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to change pads when changing products

dsg03gt
03-14-2013, 12:41 AM
I was just wondering when doing a test spot or just general polishing, do you have to change to a new pad when you change your product? Or if the pad is still in good shape and clean, can you just keep using it with a different product??

Pureshine
03-14-2013, 12:46 AM
I always use a clean pad but thats just my ocd kicking in.

vegas911gts
03-14-2013, 03:07 AM
I would use a fresh pad.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-14-2013, 05:21 AM
Fresh pad for sure!!!!!

DaHen
03-14-2013, 05:54 AM
Use a new pad. Ya don't want the products to get mixed together.

zmcgovern45
03-14-2013, 11:37 AM
You should switch to a new pad if the pad you are using has been used with another product and has not been properly cleaned (with pad cleaner!) before using it with another product.

So say you just compounded your car with a white pad, you would not simply clean on the fly, and then continue to use that pad with a finishing polish. You would switch to a fresh pad that had been properly cleaned or is totally brand new.

Some people will say it is best to only use a particular pad for a certain product, even if it has been cleaned, however I think that is overkill... I would need a HUGE collection of pads. My feeling is that if you can properly clean the pads after each use so that they look and feel like new again, you can use any product with that pad for your next detail.

spiralout462
03-14-2013, 12:56 PM
That's an easy one. New pad for sure! The more you change the better. Cardaddy does a good job of explaining the method behind the madness.

oldmodman
03-14-2013, 01:49 PM
A short one word answer?

Yes.

I not only change pads (and type of pad) between products, but i also change pads after every panel.

Why?

Why not. I have plenty of pads and it minimizes any chance of dragging anything that snuck onto the panel I am working from tagging along to the next panel.