PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding d/a polishers- be gentle!

Pages : [1] 2

snfapm1983
03-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Not sure where to start but maybe a little history since this is my first post here.

I am a private, not for profit collector with several cars. One from the fifties, one from the sixties, and one from 1970. I am a full time HVAC technician and like to think of myself as pretty handy in most anything mechnical. That being said, I don't know much about using machines to correct a car's finish except that the paint can easily be messed up by someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

This is why I'm posting here for some advice.

I am considering buying a PC 7424XP and the most immediate purpose I intend to use it on is my wifes 2008 BMW 328. Long story short, the car is (was) in excellant condition before it sustained some paint damage this winter. It was parked in a carport with heavy duty plastic tarps secured to posts on the open side. During an extreme wind storm this tarp came loose and rubbed against the top of the door, roof edge and 1/2 the hood. There are many fine scratches (can't feel them with a fingernail) almost as though the car was sanded with really fine sandpaper.

I've been doing some reading and saw the Meguiars Microfiber system but I'm leaning towards a series of pads and M105, M205 possible so I can use the buffer on some minor problems with my other cars.

Sorry for the long post. Thank-you.

Setec Astronomy
03-13-2013, 08:54 PM
The Meg's microfiber system is really foolproof, IMO. I don't see how you can go wrong with it. Buy the starter kit and some extra pads. I'm sure you have a small air compressor for fluffing the fibers.

Witchdoc
03-13-2013, 08:56 PM
Go to youtube and search junkman2000. He just posted 4 videos for novices. Watch, listen and learn. You will have all your answers right there......WELCOME TO AGO

Rayaz
03-13-2013, 10:48 PM
Not a long post at all and good questions. First off, I don't detail for a living, it's a hobby. I started exactly the same way. I asked questions and watched a ton of you tube videos before buying a PC and some pads, mainly to clean up some dealer installed swirls on my new car. One thing lead to another and I got the sickness (ie a few grand worth of polishers and the stuff to go with them). Now I've done about 50 cars, trucks and vans for friends and family. A few of them even paid for the stuff I used. I have a stressful job and this keeps me out of the bell tower.

I'd say a reasonably handy and careful person would have a tough time screwing up with a PC. You won't be very fast or efficient at first but you won't do any real harm as you learn the tricks of using a DA polisher.

There are a bunch of experts who make money here and about an equal number of hobbyists who all have one thing in common; they are very helpful! Some will even offer to come over and help you out.

I do suggest that you "practice" on something other than your Shelby Cobra or racing Ferrari. Find a buddy with a beater and take a few hours to perfect your technique (make he or she buy you some beer or something). You will get the test vehicle and he or she will get a shinny car out of the deal. You're going to have a blast and before long, you'll have friends you never know you had, all of which, need help with their paint.

ihaveacamaro
03-13-2013, 10:55 PM
Don't get a PC, get a Griot's Garage :) You'll be a happier man!

AutowerxDetailing
03-13-2013, 11:07 PM
Everyone seems to recommend the Griots DA... Honestly though I haven't ever run into anything that I was doing with my PC7424XP where I thought to myself "gosh, this thing just doesn't have enough power to do what I want." Speed 6 corrects LIKE A BOSS and with 5 1/2 foam pads the machine does not bog down even with firm pressure.

I also recommend trying out the Meg's microfiber system. At the very least pickup a few cutting pads and D300. It works well with foam pads too and is effortless to work with.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using AG Online

sulla
03-13-2013, 11:36 PM
It's not only about power it's also the lifetime warranty that sells the griots.

Jomax
03-14-2013, 12:03 AM
Get a Rupes :)

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

Sicoupe
03-14-2013, 12:54 AM
I just purchased the Griots DA polisher, and I will be using it for the first time this weekend, any helpful tips before I begin?:)

AutowerxDetailing
03-14-2013, 01:21 AM
I just purchased the Griots DA polisher, and I will be using it for the first time this weekend, any helpful tips before I begin?:)

Clean and/or change the pads frequently. The most common thing I see is people complaining that their pads mysteriously explode or the backing melting off. This is typically caused by excess product building up and storing heat inside the pad which in turn causes it to rapidly degrade.

Also... enjoy!!! If this is your first time machine polishing paint you are in store for a real treat! :props:

AutowerxDetailing
03-14-2013, 01:23 AM
It's not only about power it's also the lifetime warranty that sells the griots.

That's a good point. I was mainly just saying that the PC is absolutely a capable machine. In all honesty if my PC ever gets dropped in a lake or I develop the need for a second DA the GG6 is my next choice. :xyxthumbs:

AntC
03-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Don't get a PC, get a Griot's Garage :) You'll be a happier man!

Agreed !!

ihaveacamaro
03-14-2013, 08:46 AM
That's a good point. I was mainly just saying that the PC is absolutely a capable machine. In all honesty if my PC ever gets dropped in a lake or I develop the need for a second DA the GG6 is my next choice. :xyxthumbs:

Going from a PC to a Griot's Garage was a huge difference, to me.

It's not like they reinvented the DA polishing game, but the improvement of the GG over the PC is noteworthy.

1) The extra power makes it much harder to stop spinning. I've taken off 30-45 minutes off a full detail because of this.

2) Also, the handle is actually functional. The PC handle tends to offcenter my balance so I stopped using it.

3) I've found that the GG is less likely to bog down on curved panels, although it still will stop if pushed too far.

4) There's extra cushioning on the machine itself.

So yeah, it's not a game changer, but, in my opinion of course, there is a noticeable difference between the PC and the GG.

And all of this for the same price as the PC. I just don't see why anyone would choose the PC over it.

Just my 2 cents :props:

AntC
03-14-2013, 08:47 AM

go to the Dollar store and get a bunch of terrycloth towels for on the fly pad cleaning between EACH panel

Mike has a video on it on the You tube site

www.autogeek.net - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/autogeek)

silverfox
03-14-2013, 08:57 AM
What the Porter Cable lacks in power, it makes up for in durability and longevity...and if you buy the low profile HT foam pads, the power issue is negated as the PC will spin those very easily. I also think the PC is easier to use in terms of it being lighter and for those LONG polishing sessions, it will be your best friend. Its perfect for finishing, and applying waxes, sealants, or glazes. It even can be used very effectively for compounding using Megs 5.5" MF cutting pads, or 5.5" Surbuf pads.

It doesn't get the kudos that the CG or Flex or some of the others get, but I would never be without mine. You have to keep in mind that fast pad rotation speed is NOT necessary to get incredible results.

In fact of you use Megs SMAT polishes, its often better to slow down your arm speed using setting 3-4 on the PC, and apply firm pressure...and in one or two passes, your done. You don't need to spin the heck out of the pad...just enough to let the polish do the work.

I can see getting something other than a PC if you use DAT polishes because of the much longer working times required to break them down. With those types of polishes you really want to spin the pads faster without getting bogged down.