PDA

View Full Version : Biggest job of my career so far

akj
03-13-2013, 06:27 PM
Let me start by saying I'm not mobile as most of u are. I have a big shop in a good spot. And with the town I live in being so small its not costing me any business most people like dropping their car off before work and picking it up after work..

Today started SLOW not a single call or anything. All of the sudden I seen this FINE RV coming down the road. As I admired it I realized he was coming here.
We talked turns out he's involved with NASCAR some how. Maybe some part of the team or something.
He wanted me to just polish the wheels and if I had time just "put some soap on the outside"
Look at this beauty!

So I spent an hour on the wheels and realized it was 2pm so I got a kid my cousin knows and his friend to come help for a small fee..
Only because this guy told me if I did it right money is not an option!!!!!!

So I finished wheels and simply washed the out side and was done by 6pm
He come and asked how much I had no idea what to charge. But he kept saying how great I did...

GET THIS! So I said I'll tell u what I thinks a fair price and u tell me what u think..
I said $250 (that's EXPENSIVE around here) (most details are about $25-$50 depending on who u go to and what u have)
he said $250? That's perfect. I was thinking closer to $500!!!!!!
$500! God did I put my foot in my mouth I could have easily have got $350..

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online

Dr_Pain
03-13-2013, 06:30 PM
That's awesome!!! Beautiful RV....

Bill1234
03-13-2013, 06:33 PM
Its like jaws, were gonna need a bigger boat to were gonna need a bigger bill :buffing::dblthumb2:

akj
03-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Haha.. yea I really shoulda asked for more but anything over 100 if u are not doing like a compound and polish is really expensive.

akj
03-13-2013, 07:42 PM
So let me ask u guys.. its 42' long what would u charge for a basics exterior only wash? Then how much for wax to?

No remember this is a small town everything is cheaper here.
Plus u would want to give this guy a good deal cause he brings 2 cars a week and will let u do the RV once or twice a month..

So what would be a fair price for a basic wash,
And then price for a wash + wax?

T3 AutoDetails
03-13-2013, 08:07 PM
So let me ask u guys.. its 42' long what would u charge for a basics exterior only wash? Then how much for wax to?

No remember this is a small town everything is cheaper here.
Plus u would want to give this guy a good deal cause he brings 2 cars a week and will let u do the RV once or twice a month..

So what would be a fair price for a basic wash,
And then price for a wash + wax?

I would tell him a Wash and Wax cost about $6 a foot (depends where you live) and work for, That i do RV & Fleet veichles at $7.50 a ft. Which 42' is $315. I then would have said interiors are on a quote basis and that every RV is different so every interior is priced accordingly and charged what I felt the job was worth. should have been maybe around $450-$500+ to feel comfortable. In Reality you kinda would have upsold the interior work.

That't just my idea. (all $$ shown was used as an example and may reflect differently according to demographics).:props:

akj
03-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Good idea thanks!! Charge by the foot... this is a small town where everything is cheap. I think I may go down to $5.50 or $5.00 a foot..

SuperiorAutoLLC
03-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Good idea thanks!! Charge by the foot... this is a small town where everything is cheap. I think I may go down to $5.50 or $5.00 a foot..

Don't sell yourself short...aim high and leave yourself a little wiggle room in case the customer isn't quite with you on the price.

Pureshine
03-13-2013, 09:53 PM
I give you credit for doing RV's I could do them. I know the guy buy me charges $15 a foot. Don't short sell you self they are a lot of work. I did my friends for him and won't do another one.

akj
03-13-2013, 11:25 PM
Well some of his first words was moneys no option.
He paid 300k cash for that thing..
But I don't want to over price I think for just a wash 5 to 6 dollars a foot is fair for us both.

Vegas Transplant
03-14-2013, 12:55 AM
.. its 42' long...

A 42'-er w/o tandems? Owner has his length mixed up.
When did Freightliner {wheel cutouts are the tell} stop using Dura-Brites on their running frames?

Good job! Keep up the good work!

T3 AutoDetails
03-14-2013, 01:39 AM
I would say $15-25 a foot if your doing a multi proccess. everyone is different but just to wash and wax i would set it fair and just use a spray wax. But you also need to figure your hourly production towards the cost your charging. At $5 bucks if your not humping it a little bit you could be losing money in the end rather than profit!

sasson
03-14-2013, 04:50 AM
WOW! Lol, That's a REALLY BIG job....
Dang he must be Very happy

rustytruck
03-14-2013, 06:21 AM
I would charge $504 for wash and wax (including roof). I hope you started with the roof and washed your way down. If you skipped the roof you are going to have a very upset customer next time it rains.

My price for a wash and wax does not include wheel polishing. I would have charged $100 more to polish out four big aluminum wheels.

I have a RV services page on my website if you want to take a peek. My wash only price (without wheel polishing) would have been $252.

RV's are a lot of work so make sure you charge for it.