PDA

View Full Version : Blacklight after MF Correction?

AirVenture
03-13-2013, 10:35 AM
I've read up on a lot of great Blacklight threads, but I'm still struggling with what to do. I want to use my new Meguairs Microfiber Paint Correction system as well as the Blacklight and V7 combo.

The problem I'm concerned with is the that the MF systems finishes off with the "finishing wax." Can I apply Blacklight on top of that without adverse effects (shine, durability)? Should I rewash and strip the "finishing wax"?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

swanicyouth
03-13-2013, 11:33 AM
That system is designed to be used as a system, not with Blacklight. Topping with BL will give you little durability. If it was me, I would skip the Finishing Wax and use a different light polish with the MF pads. If you apply BL before the FW the FW will remove it (abrasive).

If the vehicle needs correction (scratches & swirls), the easiest way to go is use the MF system, get rid of the scratches, and save the BL for next time. As, Im sure you will be impressed with the MF system results. If your bent on using BL, you would have to strip off the FW, and apply BL.

Mazda.Mark
03-13-2013, 11:34 AM
FWIW I went straight from D300 to WG Sealant and it came out great.

silverfox
03-13-2013, 11:36 AM
You would be duplicating your effort. BL and Megs Finishing Wax are very similar AIO products...clean/polish/protect, so why do that step twice?

Frankly, it all comes down to what kind of "look" you want. I think the MF corrections system is very fast and easy to use. I also am a huge BL/V7 fan...its up to you which "look" you want.

I would substitute the BL/V7 for the polishing wax step. I'd go with the BL (with a foam finishing pad on speed 3-4), and topped with V7.

Pureshine
03-13-2013, 11:39 AM
[QUOTE=Mazda.Mark;829649]FWIW I went straight from D300 to WG Sealant and it came out great.[/QUOTE
+1 I have never used the finishing wax.

AirVenture
03-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Cool guys I was kind of thinking that too. Maybe skip the finishing wax and apply Blackfire with my DA. Guess I can play around a bit with it, and do some test spots. I'll make sure to post results.

AirVenture
03-13-2013, 11:57 AM
On second thought I may try out the finishing wax and top that with Fuzion. I'd kind of like to test out the whole MF system by itself.

zmcgovern45
03-13-2013, 11:59 AM
That system is designed to be used as a system, not with Blacklight. Topping with BL will give you little durability. If it was me, I would skip the Finishing Wax and use a different light polish with the MF pads. If you apply BL before the FW the FW will remove it (abrasive).

If the vehicle needs correction (scratches & swirls), the easiest way to go is use the MF system, get rid of the scratches, and save the BL for next time. As, Im sure you will be impressed with the MF system results. If your bent on using BL, you would have to strip off the FW, and apply BL.
^I use D300 + MF Cutting Pads as a compound and always finish with a finer polish + foam pads... I just feel like they always finish down better. You can then apply whatever sealant you would like on top of that.

FWIW I went straight from D300 to WG Sealant and it came out great.
^Not sure if you are referring to using it on your Mazda, but I did a test spot on our new (to us) CX-7 with D300 and MF Pads and it left very faint hazing/marring, so I finished it down with M205 + black foam pad and that took care of it. Going to coat it with 22ple whenever I get around to doing the entire car. It is still quite cold here, which doesn't play nice with the 22ple.

silverfox
03-13-2013, 12:07 PM
keep this in mind....a MF buffing pad will not finish down as nice as a foam pad will on most paint...for compounding, yes, MF is great...but NOT always for finishing down.

I guarantee you that BL applied with a foam finishing pad will look better than the polishing wax applied a MF pad.

If you want to use the polishing wax...at least use a foam finishing pad to apply it (just my two cents)...been there, done that.

The Megs MF is designed for speed...not for a killer show car look.

AirVenture
03-13-2013, 12:11 PM
That's great info to know.

Unfortunately I only have Griot Garage orange and red pads. Do think Blackfire with a GG red pad is suitable? or just stick with MF correction to finish.

Bamaboy007
03-13-2013, 01:21 PM
I never use the finishing wax product...I always use Wolfgang 3.0

silverfox
03-13-2013, 01:37 PM
Finish with a foam finishing pad regardless of the manufacturer.

Mazda.Mark
03-13-2013, 03:07 PM
^Not sure if you are referring to using it on your Mazda, but I did a test spot on our new (to us) CX-7 with D300 and MF Pads and it left very faint hazing/marring, so I finished it down with M205 + black foam pad and that took care of it. Going to coat it with 22ple whenever I get around to doing the entire car. It is still quite cold here, which doesn't play nice with the 22ple.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I did the Mazda in Florida last week about 65 degrees. It wasn't perfect, but I ran out of time. If it time permitted, I would have done a 2 step.

I put the Sealant on with a Black Pad. It isn't perfect, but for being a 24/7 outside DD, it will work until better weather arrives to fine tune.

Hope your CX-7 came out well!

PS-I don't know about you, but I despise the carpet in those things. The carpet under the mat on the driver side is almost worn already. Also, the "nubby" dash is annoying for dressing.

zmcgovern45
03-13-2013, 04:35 PM
^Not sure if you are referring to using it on your Mazda, but I did a test spot on our new (to us) CX-7 with D300 and MF Pads and it left very faint hazing/marring, so I finished it down with M205 + black foam pad and that took care of it. Going to coat it with 22ple whenever I get around to doing the entire car. It is still quite cold here, which doesn't play nice with the 22ple.

Yeah, I did the Mazda in Florida last week about 65 degrees. It wasn't perfect, but I ran out of time. If it time permitted, I would have done a 2 step.

I put the Sealant on with a Black Pad. It isn't perfect, but for being a 24/7 outside DD, it will work until better weather arrives to fine tune.

Hope your CX-7 came out well!

PS-I don't know about you, but I despise the carpet in those things. The carpet under the mat on the driver side is almost worn already. Also, the "nubby" dash is annoying for dressing.

I just did a test spot for now, as I want to wait for the snow to clear up before I do a full correction and 22ple application.

I have not paid particularly close attention to the carpet, but I did notice the textured dash.