PDA

View Full Version : Black hull

Theraven
03-12-2013, 11:36 PM
30ft chaparral with black hull(gel coat), trying to figure out if parts of it are fried/failing. Here are my observations, there are of areas of the hull that appear to be oxidation, upon a closer look the area is slightly faded with what looks like burned/etched in water spots. They 90% disappear after a polish , in a matter of weeks after the oil evaporates the spots come right back. Do you think these are permanent or superficial? We use imperial&finish material and then 2 coats of collinite paste wax. If the spots can't be removed any ideas on the best Technique/products to keep them hidden longer. One side of the hull is in direct sunlight most of the day.

CarolinaShine
03-13-2013, 07:07 AM
Do you have any pictures?

dcgocd
03-13-2013, 08:16 AM
What polish are you using,Does it have any correcting ability or is it a glaze ?

Meguiars and 3M make some good polishes for gelcoat. The last time I worked on my boat,I used Meguiars M67 followed by Meguiars Flagship Marine Wax with good results.

They have a couple of less aggressive polishes than this ,but make sure it has some correcting ability and its not just a polishing glaze. Try a test spot to see if it removes water spots.

Problem with Black, it gets hot and shows everything. If you dont wax your boat ,sometimes you can do a wipedown with 303 which protects from sun damage and gives it a temporary darkening effect which lasts for a while.

Having an all black boat ,i feel your pain.

Theraven
03-14-2013, 12:04 AM
I'll up load a pic tomorrow , mostly have just tried 3m imperial and finishing compound, and collinate paste wax 885. We put a few coats of farecla UV wax and a coat or 2 of the collinate, still burns off after a month. I haven't tried any pure polishes or waxes loaded with silicones and oils, or and glazes, or Sealants. It would be nice iv the boat was sandwiched between 2 larger ones.

Theraven
03-14-2013, 10:36 PM