PDA

View Full Version : Lexus ES350, as they say "You can't fix stupid!"

Pages : [1] 2 3

cardaddy
03-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Hello boys and girls, Cardaddy is at it again.
Warning; this is a long one. ;)

OK, So I get an invite last week from an old friend that we used to go to school with in the early-mid 70's to come up Saturday. He has a Polaris Ranger 800 that he just bought a new windshield for and wanted me to come help. His wife was in the middle of a 7 day convention over on the left coast in "the OC" so why not have a 'boys day out', drink a couple beers and go 4 wheeling! :)

We talked about it for a few days so while I was at it I told him I'd come, but ONLY if we detailed his wife's 2007 ES350 while I was there. I mean, I freaking KNOW he doesn't do it, and I also know his wife isn't that thrilled that he even HAS a 'boys day out'! (With his past evidence who can blame her as she came home TWICE to find new tatoos, on one arm or the other. YIKES!) Figured he SERIOUSLY NEEDED to gain some respect points with her just for putting up with his sorry arse.

So anyhow, we do the windshield on the Polaris and head out in the woods. His subdivision is all 350K ~ 1-Mill custom homes situated to where there is accessable green space behind all the homes. That space goes down to a huge river with probably 10 miles in each direction at least as it snakes back and forth winding along. Great trails, great fun! Problem with the new windshield is it blocks off the winter wind TOO GOOD. It was 52° out and felt like it was in the mid 80's with all the heat coming up from the radiatior as well as from under the seat, engine area. Darn good thing it's 2-pieces so you can take off the bottom part and get some much needed air!

We get back and I move to how we need to get the Lexus out of the garage, 1; because his garage is dark as a freaking CAVE, and 2; it was a beautiful weekend out. Keep in mind that for days I'd been telling him to WASH THE CAR. Do you think it was washed? He!! no! I went prepared however, and then told him to round up what HE washes the car with. All along I was getting out my buckets (2 bucket method, grit guards, Megs Gold and ONR). Should have seen what he dug up to wash it with, OMG! :rolleyes:

So we get it into the sunshine and yes, the interior was really nice, but that's about it. Being a 2007 with 62K on it, all road miles I guess I wasn't suprised. Overall it wasn't that bad, but the front bumper looked like she spent all her time following a gravel truck! :rolleyes: It has a factory ppf on the hood and front fenders but that's it. Nothing on the headlights and nothing on the front bumper. Mild swirling all over with a few RIDS, along with some very deep scratches here and there. Also... it was eat up with water spots! Oh, and the messy white residue on rubber trim from "her" wax spreading, especially all around the sunroof.

Get to washing, trying to break his bad habits and showing him how to do a 2-bucket wash. All the while he was raving on about how "she" keeps her car so clean, and "she" never parks it outside, and "she" keeps it waxed. Blah Blah BLAH FREAKING B-L-A-H. :rolleyes: Did the wheels and scrubbed the tires too. He was asking why the tires turned so brown? Can we say it yet, 'You can't fix stupid!'. He actually wanted to STOP and put it back in the garage as soon as it was washed (with a quick coating of Megs Endurance on the tires). "SORRY DUDE, we are just getting started!"

Here it is before claying.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1792/medium/20130309_171717_800x600_.jpg

Quickly broke out the clay and did the trunk showing him how to get a handle on it. Then turned him loose on the upper surfaces while I did the upper portions of the sides. Once I moved around it, including the bumpers I let him hit the bottoms and I broke out a new bar of clay for the hood and ppf. Keep in mind that he wasn't EVEN thinking of doing it at all. Yet he's seen me claying, knows why I do it, and knew it was coming. By the time we finished claying he was saying "Well, that looks fine, let's wipe it off and put it back in the garage." I agreed to pull it in for the night, but first thing in the morning we ARE going to start buffing.

And after claying, which is when he WANTED TO QUIT!
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1792/medium/IMG_9747_800x533_.jpg
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1792/medium/IMG_9749_800x533_.jpg
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1792/medium/IMG_9748_800x533_.jpg

Water Spots - etching
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1792/medium/IMG_9753_800x533_.jpg
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1792/medium/IMG_9758_800x533_.jpg

Where was I... Oh wash and clayed, getting dark. Time to call him up on that steak dinner! :) After all, what I told him was if I came up then we needed to do something I liked too. He *obviously* doesn't wash and/or wax his cars, much less detail them. So I made a deal to give him a better detail than he's ever had for a fraction of what it should have cost. Took $70 and a Ribeye dinner for it all. Needless to say he got the better end of the deal. ::poke:

Speaking of not taking care of his stuff.... He would just rather buy toys. Being as they are 'empty nesters' now you wouldn't think they need 4 cars sitting there but then again, in his mind they are disposable. He has an 'airport' car that's his 2009 Corolla with a ton of miles, then the 2007 Lexus, 2008 Tacoma 4dr 50K on it, 2012 Ford Flex (he's trying out for a couple of weeks). Then there are the toys, the Polaris 800 and a 2007 Harley Electra Glide. From what I could see he doesn't have a CLUE how to keep any of them up!!! He actually told me he couldn't imagine WHY someone would want to do "this" to their cars. As we know, "you can't fix stupid!"

In any event, it's now Sunday morning and I told him after a quick breakfast that we needed to spend a few hours to get it finished. I had taped off several areas for test spots on the trunk to get an idea of what I could get away with. (More like get away "without", hoping I could do an AIO like Megs 83 perhaps, or even 205. I have just started working with D300 but don't have enough pads to feel comfortable doing the whole car. Although I could have done the horizontal surfaces then moved to a yellow pad and MAYBE 205 on the sides. :dunno:

Grabbed a few pads along with 101 (my new best friend), 205, Megs UC, and Megs 83. For reference, when doing test spots I set all the pads and product combos to speed 5 and 4 section passes only.

Hit a spot on the trunk with orange pads and 205, right away NOT gonna' work. Stepped to UC and orange pads, better but let's try yellow. Still better but not working with only 4 section passes. *Yes I know I can do more, but at this point he's already thinking it's taking too long!* OK, I'm thinking either I'm going to whip out the D300 and MF pads or my new friend 101. Same thing with 101, but I tried white, orange, then yellow. By now he's looking at everything and can ACTUALLY SEE THE IMPROVEMENT right before his eyes! Yipeee! :laughing: I asked him what he liked and explained the micromarring was there but it'd be taken care of in the polishing stage. OR.... we could do less cut but it would mean more section passes and it might look more like 'this'. (Which was the UC and orange test spot.) He chose the 101 with yellow pad combo, which I'd already decided on anyhow. ;) Still "can't fix stupid" but at least he was starting to see what it could turn out like.

Starting compounding on the hood.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1792/medium/IMG_9764_800x533_.jpg
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1792/medium/20130310_110148_600x800_.jpg

Fast forward to the end of compounding and he's ready to quit. Not just a little here but I mean HE WANTED TO STOP! I told him, "Mike, the paint doesn't have any protection on it AT ALL! We just can't quit yet, it still has to be polished, THEN it has to be sealed at the VERY LEAST." At this time he's saying, "I just had no idea it would take so much time. I don't know why anyone would spend time doing this. My wash and wax takes about 45 minutes."

After 101 on the paint. Nothing to the ppf yet (205 later).
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1792/medium/20130310_111143_800x600_.jpg
The bumper doesn't look great, but BOY does it look better than it started!
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1792/medium/IMG_9745_800x533_.jpg

On we go to polishing. I told him each step would take less time so he was getting happier but still complaining. About half way through polishing with 205 (white pads btw) he kept asking how much longer. He even said now, "Had I known how much time this would take I would have just told you NO, we cannot do it." I just looked at him and said, "Dude, what is the 2nd most expensive thing you've ever bought in your life?". With a puzzled look on his face he looked around and said, "Your car", well DUH!!!!Then I said, "So why would you not protect to some degree, the one single largest investment you have outside of your home?"

He just stood there saying how he works so much he just doesn't have time, YET he'll goof off forever, and we were indeed using the one thing he said he didn't have TIME. Not only that, he had nothing else to do BUT this which BTW... is an excellent deposit into the 'good favor bank' with his wife. Let's say it in unison this time boys and girls.... "You can't fix stupid!"

Any-who..... Get the 205 done and AGAIN he says "It's time to stop, let's put it in the garage". JESUS! :rolleyes: Again, "Mike, your paint doesn't have ANY protection on the paint yet." Seems he's drinking his 3rd coffee cup of stupid this morning already. :eek: To give him something to do I offered up a bottle of 303 protectant and by now he's going everywhere with it. He started easy, but by now he's opening all the doors hitting all the gaskets, opening the trunk, smearing it all over the glass.... you name it. But FINALLY he's not looking like it's the end of the world. :laughing:

Very quickly now I grab another pad and the M21 and start going at it. He's pacing like he's late for an important date. He's also dropping my MF towels on the ground left and right! Thank God only one 530 got trashed! :mad: However....... when I told him the M21 needed to sit on there for AT LEAST 15 minutes I thought he was gonna' pass out. He waited a bit, but by the time I got the trunk half the roof and rear quarter done he started wiping. JESUS here we go again! I jumped back to the roof to get the other side and coated it all over really quick, daring him to touch it! :eek: Did manage to leave it on for a few minutes before he wiped it off but not as long as I'd have liked.

The finally, before he could even react I grabbed the ULW and hit the trunk, roof and hood. He was almost in a panic! Nowhere to go, nothing to do, just did NOT for the life of him, want to spend that time on a $40,000 car. Time management folks and remember (all in a really loud chant now) "You can't fix stupid!" :laughing:

Managed a few finished shots (while being rushed)
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1792/medium/20130310_111209_600x800_.jpg
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1792/medium/IMG_9769_800x533_.jpg

Didn't have *time* for the finished shots I needed, but needless to say he was pleased, and actually sent me a text yesterday telling me how good it looks. My problem is, I hate for ANY flaws that they may see in it, (and he put some NEW scratches in it with towels he kept dropping) to be associated with MY work.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1792/medium/20130310_140307_800x600_.jpg
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1792/medium/IMG_9767_800x533_.jpg

Thanks for indulging me boys and girls. This one was indeed a labor of love. For less than a hundred bucks I'd never do it for anyone else like that. But, we've known this guy for 39 years so it wasn't a big deal. If he were closer I'd do his cars regularly, but at 82 miles away it's a bit of a stretch. The hope is, (as with the rest of us) he'll let me take care of some of later. They travel for business, and the airport is on MY side of town. I can do the pickup and drop off thing, round trip to my house in WAY less time than it takes to drive 1-way to his.

SuperiorAutoLLC
03-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Funny!!! And such a nice change to the traditional paint correction threads.

Good for you for saving that Lexus.

cardaddy
03-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Funny!!! And such a nice change to the traditional paint correction threads.

Good for you for saving that Lexus.

Thanks Brandon! :)

Thing is, he wouldn't let me touch the interior, "because it takes too much time". Heck, I couldn't even rinse it off afterwards. I know they like it, and that's a good thing! But, we put maybe 5½ hours in it from the time it came out of the garage till it went back in, wash/clay and all. In just another HOUR it'd been at the next level. Arrrggggggghhhhhh!!!! :rolleyes:

All he's talked about since they got the darned thing is how well it's taken care of. And it's not bad on the inside because they don't smoke, but.... Should have seen the engine dust, or the WHEEL WELLS!!! Uh... I call BS on that one my friend! :eek:

Oh well, NEXT TIME we'll be on MY time schedule. ;)

eaglefan
03-12-2013, 10:22 PM
That was a fun read man, congrads. Maybe next time a bigger car that needs 4step correction, whiprdown, qnd then pour the blacklight to it them the BFWDl now that sounds good

cardaddy
03-12-2013, 11:53 PM
That was a fun read man, congrads. Maybe next time a bigger car that needs 4step correction, whiprdown, qnd then pour the blacklight to it them the BFWDl now that sounds good

Well that one got 4 step for sure. I was considering D300 as I've tried it on my wifes Denali which has hard paint and it did very good. For production work it'd be great. For an AIO I'll keep it close by for sure. Then I really wanted to do as little as possible, hopefully just a quick polish and seal.

Thing is, he saw the different 'test spots' and as I explained what was going on he started to understand, and pointed out the 101 saying "That looks like it took all those spots and scratches out". Figured as we were old friends, then why not. I wasn't making any money on the deal, just paying for gas and materials. PLUS helping him get serious points with his wife.

Then once we passed the 45 minute MAGIC point where he decides NO CAR needs anything more than that he was wanting to pack it all up. Now He LIKED what was happening, he just doesn't want to put the time into it.

I think at one point he said something about how much detailers get paid for what they do and either it was something people didn't need, or it wasn't worth it. (Not the fee wasn't worth it, but the CAR wasn't worth it.) Just sees no "value" in it as time spent. WTFrick? At least he will tell people about the experience, and when they see the result it'll be a good thing. I think his wife came back to town tonight. I'll see if she has a different veiw on it all, after all, it's HER car.

He also sees no value in surround sound of any kind, or ANY sound for that matter, ANY TV over 42", anything like DirecTV with HD channels, or even FREE HD channels from an antenna. He'll spend on stupid stuff but not anything that's for entertainment, go figure? :dunno: Honestly I was surprised we got to ride the 4 wheeler because it was muddy out. He had a boat a few years back that he didn't want to GET WET! We went to the lake with them for a day out and it started raining. He parked it in the middle of a cove and made us all swim to the shore. They then got the boat cover from the Grand Cherokee and got on floats, swimming it out to the boat to cover it up in a LIGHTNING STORM so it wouldn't get wet! :rolleyes: I'm dead serious!!!!!

You should see him, 5'4" tall, 150 pounds on a 950 pound Electra Glide! :eek:

As they say.... "You can't fix stupid!" :laughing:

Baconz2012
03-13-2013, 12:32 AM
Your post reminded me of the time I had owed a friend of mine a favor. I told her I would detail her car, and one of my other friends, who has never even washed a car, volunteered. The whole time we were doing the car he just kept complaining about how long it takes and blah blah blah. Good thing is he had a new found respect for detailing. Nice post!:props:

RedXray
03-13-2013, 03:41 AM
Funny Read lol

Mike needs to get his T levels checked IMO. There's not many things more manly than guys bonding while working on cars/trucks together. I'd a told Mike to get in the house and take care of some ironing... I'll call if I need ya :laughing:

runrun411
03-13-2013, 05:58 AM
What a great story. I'm an ofc. mgr. for a publishing company and let me say you should consider being a writer. As for you friend, you must really care a whale of a lot for the guy. I hope he scored major points with the wife (sorry arse, very funny, gonna use that, I know lots of sorry arses). You have proven once again that you need patience, patience and more patience. I don't know with what more, the car or the person but anyway great job and interesting read. I think you should go on more trips to detail your friends car just for the great stories. And BTW: you can fix stupid by using duct tape and a locked closet. LOL

One more thing: If you went to school in the 70's and you known this guy for 39 years, let me ask you this. How's you back doin and how much ibuprofen did you need by the time you were done. LOL

BobbyG
03-13-2013, 06:07 AM
That was a great story Tony and you're right, many out there just don't care about their cars. Her Lexus did come out great and I suspect someone's very pleased with her new old car.....:props:

tuscarora dave
03-13-2013, 08:53 AM
What a great story, and let me say you should consider being a writer.

:iagree:

Very well written. As I was reading it my imagination took me right there in the driveway with you guys!!:xyxthumbs:

Nice of you to work so hard to earn your friend a nice deposit of brownie points!!

The car looks super glossy now and I'm sure it was time well spent.

ihaveacamaro
03-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Awesome read!! Thanks for sharing :)

kemefk
03-13-2013, 09:07 AM
Great story! I definitely applaud your patience with your friend. I would be raving mad if someone was nagging at me while I was detailing my car. Great turnaround on the Lexus!

FASTFRED
03-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Great story. :dblthumb2:

VroomVroom
03-13-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm not sure I'd call this fixing stupid. Your friend is the poster child for the vast majority of folks out there - vehicles are an appliance to get from point A to point B. I always offer the analogy of landscaping and gardening. I like having a nice yard and some plants to look at as I walk up to the house. However, I hate yard work. Now...that doesn't mean I neglect the yard. It just means I write a check to someone who is vested in doing it right. Personally, I don't care what takes him hours vs. minutes....he's providing a service. Same thing with detailing. What is actually enjoyable to us is torture for most folks. The ultimate question is whether they recognize the value behind it.

In all honesty, I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here, but I'm willing to bet in a month or so your hard work will have been completely ruined by a drive-thru car wash, and your friend won't lose a moment's sleep over it. He'll be busy telling folks about his crazy buddy from back in the day who actually spends hours on this nonsense. :)

I think we've all done details like this. Perhaps I'm grumpier than most, but one of the questions I've learned to ask is, "How do you plan to care for the car after today?" That factors heavily into what I offer, and it actually earns trust. There's no sense selling a service that won't have any reaching value to the customer, right?

JSou
03-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Yikes! It's hard for me to deal with people like that. I need to be surrounded by people who have passion and love for what they do or at least a will to learn.

At any rate, great job on the car even while being rushed it looks great.

Really enjoyed the story as well. Keep writing this way.