PDA

View Full Version : Driving after opti coat?

jhnybgood47
03-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Can I drive after I put opti coat on my car? Will it affect the application?

ihaveacamaro
03-12-2013, 09:12 PM
I drove 120 miles on the highway 2 hours after opticoat application. Didn't affect it and still going strong 5 months later.

jhnybgood47
03-12-2013, 09:23 PM
Glad to hear. I'm only going to be driving 15 minutes to school.

jhnybgood47
03-13-2013, 04:51 PM
I polished my wife's car about 2 months ago and put a coat of sealant and collinite on it. Now she wants opticoat on it after seeing my car. Would I need to polish it again or could I just remove the sealant and wax and just wash it really well?

Rsurfer
03-13-2013, 05:07 PM
I polished my wife's car about 2 months ago and put a coat of sealant and collinite on it. Now she wants opticoat on it after seeing my car. Would I need to polish it again or could I just remove the sealant and wax and just wash it really well?

Do an IPA/Panel Wipe down after wash and before OC.

builthatch
03-17-2013, 03:41 PM

this is what i do to totally assure such things are removed:

rinse car. prior to washing, working on a per panel basis, spray with Power Clean 3:1 and let dwell without allowing it to dry. moving from panel to panel after spraying, wash each panel well with a rich Dawn solution. once you rinse well and dry, as mentioned wipe down well with IPA solution (commonly 15-20% IPA). inspect the panel and if it's good to go and doesn't have any correctable defects, coat away!

as far as driving, while it depends on the ambient temps and humidity, generally speaking within an hour it should be cured enough to get wet...so i'd say at that point you should be fine to drive. OPT recommends waiting at least 24 hours to wash.