PDA

View Full Version : How to dress carbon fiber exhaust?

jeech
03-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Hey guys, quick question. I'm in the middle of waxing my bike and looked at the exhaust and realized I don't know what to do with it. It's carbon fiber, with what seems to be a clear coat. Should I clay bar, glaze seal and wax like the paint, or should I do something different?

Ray@Autogeek
03-12-2013, 01:51 PM
:postpics:

If it does have a clear coat you can treat it just like paint. :xyxthumbs:

Audi X2
03-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Hey guys, quick question. I'm in the middle of waxing my bike and looked at the exhaust and realized I don't know what to do with it. It's carbon fiber, with what seems to be a clear coat. Should I clay bar, glaze seal and wax like the paint, or should I do something different?

If it is clear coated, which a lot of carbon fiber is, you can certainly treat it like clear coated paint.
So depending on what you want to achieve claying, polishing/glazing and sealing/waxing are all safe to perform on the surface.

jeech
03-12-2013, 02:13 PM
heat won't be a factor?

Audi X2
03-12-2013, 02:22 PM
heat won't be a factor?

Heat certainly will be a factor with any exhaust, but you will do no harm by taking care of the surface. So by say polishing any scratches out of the finish you will make the surface look very nice and heat will not cause this type of imperfection to re-surface.

As with any surface always do a small test are to ensure that you are achieving the desired result before tackling the entire area.

Opti-Coat can withstand high temperatures and if your carbon fiber exhaust does not exceed their specified rating this may also be a nice way of extending the corrected finish as well.