PDA

View Full Version : How to find the best auto painter in my area?

STI4Life06
03-12-2013, 07:17 AM
Hey guys,

So 2 nights ago someone keyed every panel on my Black Subaru Legacy :awman:. I was extremely pissed yesterday but in the end I am actually kind of happy since my car had been repainted in the past and had some nasty clear coat failure (crows feet) on the drivers side.

Unfortunately I have never gotten a car painted in my area and I can't find anyone I know that has had top notch work done at an auto body shop.

Insurance is covering the costs to repaint the entire car so what is the best way to find the best auto body shop in my area? What are some questions I should ask each place when I go to get a quote? I just don't want my car coming out of the shop with a ton of orange peel or anything like that.

Im from Meriden CT in case there are any CT guys on here with a referral.

Pureshine
03-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Best thing is go to a car shows and ask people who there used to restore their classic cars. Thats what I did to get my GTI repainted and they won't be cheap because they do high end work but will be worth it. When it comes to auto painting you get what you pay for.

cardaddy
03-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Man that's harsh... Ouch!

Find any local car clubs, car show guys, and especially guys that do hot rods. Call anyone and everyone say at local parts counters (especially if they sell hotrod parts), and look for restorers as well. Here, we have a Summitt Racing and the guys that shop there spend TONS on their cars. Check with speciality hi-line car dealers to see who does their body work.

It's possible to check with your Insurance Agent as chances are he knows of a lot of local business he may indeed write policies for. ;)

Just a few thoughts.

STI4Life06
03-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Best thing is go to a car shows and ask people who there used to restore their classic cars. Thats what I did to get my GTI repainted and they won't be cheap because they do high end work but will be worth it. When it comes to auto painting you get what you pay for.

Man that's harsh... Ouch!

Find any local car clubs, car show guys, and especially guys that do hot rods. Call anyone and everyone say at local parts counters (especially if they sell hotrod parts), and look for restorers as well. Here, we have a Summitt Racing and the guys that shop there spend TONS on their cars. Check with speciality hi-line car dealers to see who does their body work.

It's possible to check with your Insurance Agent as chances are he knows of a lot of local business he may indeed write policies for. ;)

Just a few thoughts.

Thanks guys. I gave a couple dealers a call today that sell Porsche/Audi/Mercedes/BMW/Jag and they gave me some good options. Most of them use the same Shop so I might go with that one.

cardaddy
03-12-2013, 11:57 PM
Thanks guys. I gave a couple dealers a call today that sell Porsche/Audi/Mercedes/BMW/Jag and they gave me some good options. Most of them use the same Shop so I might go with that one.

Sounds like a perfect plan! :)

yakky
03-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Make sure you visit the facilities and ask for a tour. Recommendations are great, but what is perfect to most people is garbage to detailing fanatics, best to see it in person.

STI4Life06
04-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Well I finally went to have my car painted by reputable painter and he said he can't paint my car because it has crows feet (clear coat failure) from a previous painter, therefore he will have to chemically strip the paint to bare metal which will cost me an additional $1,000 since the insurance will not pay for that.

I told him I have to sit on it for a day or two. Is this really true? I would think if the car had clear coat failure that he would just need to sand down the clear coat and re-spray? I am no painting Guru, someone with any experience want to chime in?

runrun411
04-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Hey guys,

So 2 nights ago someone keyed every panel on my Black Subaru Legacy :awman:. I was extremely pissed yesterday but in the end I am actually kind of happy since my car had been repainted in the past and had some nasty clear coat failure (crows feet) on the drivers side.

Unfortunately I have never gotten a car painted in my area and I can't find anyone I know that has had top notch work done at an auto body shop.

Insurance is covering the costs to repaint the entire car so what is the best way to find the best auto body shop in my area? What are some questions I should ask each place when I go to get a quote? I just don't want my car coming out of the shop with a ton of orange peel or anything like that.

Im from Meriden CT in case there are any CT guys on here with a referral.

Classic Auto Body, Greenwich, CT. They do all cars from Aston Martins to Volvos,