PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading some items on the pressure washer...

HellaBroke
03-10-2013, 12:36 PM
So nothing stays stock for very long lol not even the pressure washer..
Ran across an article on garden hoses and the difference betweem 5/8" & 3/4".... turns out 3/4" flowa 60% more or a full 5gpm vs a 5/8" flowing 3 gmp... makes sense so im ordering a 3/4" 50' garden hose....

Started thinking and I wonder how this effects pressure washers... how does the pressure washer hose it self react??? Currently I have a kink special hose that came with the unit and it is a 1/4" high pressure hose but im looking to get a 50' 3/8" simson..

Has anyone upgraded these two items and found any pro's or cons...
Detailing or non detailing related... I also use my pw for cleaning the sides of the house, roof, surface cleaner... etc its an around the house to for sure
Sent from my SGH-T889 using AG Online

swanicyouth
03-10-2013, 12:42 PM
I don't think it would affect the psi washer, since most of the models we would use to wash cars are under 2 gpm. So, 2 gpm would be 2 gpm; regardless if the input is 3 gpm or 10 gpm.

HellaBroke
03-10-2013, 02:04 PM
So you dont think increasing the size of the h8gh pressure washer hose would increase gpm as it increases gpm on the low pressure hose?

JAF06SE
03-10-2013, 02:13 PM
No because your pump is only going to pump so much water. Regardless of hose size. If you go too big you may affect your psi for the worse.

Racer Vol
03-10-2013, 07:49 PM
The only difference a larger hose will make is less of a pressure drop over the length of the hose. Assuming a 50' hose at 3 GPM, the 0.25 hose will lose 140 psi where the 0.375 hose will lose only 20 psi. If you only had 200 psi to begin with rather than 2000, you would see a big difference, but I am not sure you would notice the gain at the high pressures of a pressure washer. If the hose is any harder to handle because of its larger size, I am not sure it is worth it.

On the garden hose, the pressure loss is negligible at 3 gpm between 0.625 and 0.75. If you are flowing more, say 15 gpm on a nozzle or lawn sprinkler, the larger hose is much more effective at reducing the pressure drop, so that would be nice benefit. I replaced all my lawn watering hoses and valves to larger diameter for that very reason.

Hope that helps.

HellaBroke
03-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Thanks vol! Huge help

jhodges
03-10-2013, 09:26 PM
No because your pump is only going to pump so much water. Regardless of hose size. If you go too big you may affect your psi for the worse.

The only difference a larger hose will make is less of a pressure drop over the length of the hose. Assuming a 50' hose at 3 GPM, the 0.25 hose will lose 140 psi where the 0.375 hose will lose only 20 psi. If you only had 200 psi to begin with rather than 2000, you would see a big difference, but I am not sure you would notice the gain at the high pressures of a pressure washer. If the hose is any harder to handle because of its larger size, I am not sure it is worth it.

On the garden hose, the pressure loss is negligible at 3 gpm between 0.625 and 0.75. If you are flowing more, say 15 gpm on a nozzle or lawn sprinkler, the larger hose is much more effective at reducing the pressure drop, so that would be nice benefit. I replaced all my lawn watering hoses and valves to larger diameter for that very reason.

Hope that helps.

Geez; flow dynamics. This is great stuff. I was kind of wondering the same thing as I just got a Simpson and was going to hook it up to a 100' 5/8" hose. Then I got to thinking maybe it was kind of like using an extension cord with a power tool and maybe gauge and distance comes into play.

Maybe I should use a 50' 3/4 inch instead. Thanks. :)

Racer Vol
03-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Thanks vol! Huge help

No problem, glad to help.

Racer Vol
03-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Geez; flow dynamics. This is great stuff. I was kind of wondering the same thing as I just got a Simpson and was going to hook it up to a 100' 5/8" hose. Then I got to thinking maybe it was kind of like using an extension cord with a power tool and maybe gauge and distance comes into play.

Maybe I should use a 50' 3/4 inch instead. Thanks. :)

It is exactly the same physics as the extension cord except when the cord sees too much resistance it can catch fire! :) If you are just using a pressure washer, the flow isn't high enough to make a big difference either way, but stepping up the size when increasing the length is the right direction to minimize losses. If you do both it would make a noticeable difference on the free flowing stream (read great for sheeting).

jhodges
03-11-2013, 07:50 AM
It is exactly the same physics as the extension cord except when the cord sees too much resistance it can catch fire! :) If you are just using a pressure washer, the flow isn't high enough to make a big difference either way, but stepping up the size when increasing the length is the right direction to minimize losses. If you do both it would make a noticeable difference on the free flowing stream (read great for sheeting).

Never too late to learn. Thanks again.:)