PDA

View Full Version : Changed air filter

Pages : [1] 2

Bill1234
03-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Thanks guys for all the help, With some tools and patience I was able to change the air filter. The older one was dusty and was showing age. I can now burn petrol cleaner !!!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Glad you got it replaced.

Bill1234
03-09-2013, 03:57 PM
after 10 years and just under 26,000 miles it needed to be, was really dirty and full of dust

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-09-2013, 04:14 PM
After 10 years!? I bet it was full of dust.

Hate to say it to another Geek but shame on you! You wouldnt go without washing your car for 10 years would you?

Please stay on top of all things vehicle related and not just car care.

Bill1234
03-09-2013, 04:19 PM
I just washed the wheels and the car and im exhausted , next two years ill order a new one since the warranty is void

Bill1234
03-09-2013, 05:27 PM
That's the bottom of the old one lol replaced with a brand new Mann and hummel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Klasse Act
03-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Hey Bill, guess what, you've got another air filter to replace....the cabin air filter and that one probably needed to be done by the dealership knowing Audi, its not easy to get to like a Honda for instance. This filter keeps the air YOU breathe cleaner AND helps keep your HVAC system working properly. My buddy changed the one in my fiance's Mazda 6 which was 4 yrs old at the time w/ 32k on the clock and it was BLACK....BLACK!

With all the money you saved not replacing the air filter get that cabin air filter replaced. If your mechanically inclined you might be able to do this yourself, it all depends upon the design.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Jomax
03-09-2013, 05:41 PM
I changed the cabin filter on my brothers 2010 VW jetta. Had to remove some panels in the car but possible. Audi should be about the same. I change the cabin, air, and fuel filters every 20k in my brothers jetta. Will also do this for my sisters 2012 focus when the time comes. Mantainance is key for longevity.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

Infiniti
03-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Hey Bill, guess what, you've got another air filter to replace....the cabin air filter

I was kind of surprised but the 2004 Audi A6 does have a cabin air filter. I replaced mine around 2 years in my G37 and it was pretty bad. The Audi A6 is under the hood which might be easier to replace then the ones inside the car.

Klasse Act
03-10-2013, 10:02 AM
I was kind of surprised but the 2004 Audi A6 does have a cabin air filter. I replaced mine around 2 years in my G37 and it was pretty bad. The Audi A6 is under the hood which might be easier to replace then the ones inside the car.

My first new car, a 2000 Contour SVT had a cabin air filter but I know the first Contours, 1995's had em' too. A guy I used to work with changed the one in his 96' Contour and it had about 90k on the clock and it was actually filled with not only dirt but an oily substance too, GOTTA CHANGE THOSE THINGS GUYS!

The one in my previous car, 2010 Honda Fit sport as well as my current car are inside the glove box and very easy to get to. Open the glove box, twist two tabs and remove the cover and slide out the filter, that's it. Its so easy infact that I pull the filter out every 3 monthes and shake it out, you'd be surprised the debris and dead bugs that get in there in such a short time. If you've got allegies the clean cabin filter helps you out for sure. When buying them Ebay is your friend for sure, I got 2 for my car for about $20 shipped, so look around, some cars even have 2 of them even.

Klasse Act
03-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Bump so the OP see's this.

cartman57
03-12-2013, 05:16 PM
My first new car, a 2000 Contour SVT had a cabin air filter but I know the first Contours, 1995's had em' too. A guy I used to work with changed the one in his 96' Contour and it had about 90k on the clock and it was actually filled with not only dirt but an oily substance too, GOTTA CHANGE THOSE THINGS GUYS!

The one in my previous car, 2010 Honda Fit sport as well as my current car are inside the glove box and very easy to get to. Open the glove box, twist two tabs and remove the cover and slide out the filter, that's it. Its so easy infact that I pull the filter out every 3 monthes and shake it out, you'd be surprised the debris and dead bugs that get in there in such a short time. If you've got allegies the clean cabin filter helps you out for sure. When buying them Ebay is your friend for sure, I got 2 for my car for about $20 shipped, so look around, some cars even have 2 of them even.

I agree.......they're cheap enough, some have charcoal or are carbon activated.

Changed one on our RX330 there was a full sized oak leaf stuck to it.

GM in their infinite cost cutting measures elminated the one on my 97x so I cut an access panel and installed one so the evaporator doesn't get clogged up with stuff.

Klasse Act
03-13-2013, 08:38 AM
That's stupid that they (GM) would take something out of a car that helps you out, seems like it would cost more to re-engineer the area where the cabin filter used to be.

Yeah I've had bugs, twigs and some bits of leaves in mine as well, imagine if all that "stuff" made it into your cabin, this is why the cabin filter MUST BE REPLACED ONCE A YEAR!

jvs1991
03-13-2013, 08:43 AM
That's stupid that they (GM) would take something out of a car that helps you out, seems like it would cost more to re-engineer the area where the cabin filter used to be.

Yeah I've had bugs, twigs and some bits of leaves in mine as well, imagine if all that "stuff" made it into your cabin, this is why the cabin filter MUST BE REPLACED ONCE A YEAR!

My 02 explorer doesn't have a cabin air filter either. Kind of dumb if you ask me. Bc as you said the stuff that can get through into the cabin isn't exactly pleasant.

Klasse Act
03-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Well its true car/trucks should have this, I wonder if its engineered a different way when it doesn't have a cabin filter, I mean pollen will still get in there but stuff like twigs and leaves might not make it in there. When I had my work replace the cabin filter in my Transit they told me it didn't have one in there....literally, they took it out and never replaced it, how stupid!

So, if you've got one....REPLACE IT!