PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question - Polish Difficult to Remove

Conway9
03-09-2013, 01:56 PM
So I tried out my new Griot's 6" D/A today - first experience using any sort of polisher. My car got hit last week (guy ran a stop sign & t-boned me at low speed, enough to cause a fair amount of damage) & it goes in the shop on Monday. I figured I'd practice on the panels being replaced.

Setup:
Griot's 6" D/A
Griot's Machine Polish 3
Griot's orange pad
Black 2010 Infiniti G37 coupe

I started with a waterless wash, then clayed the panels I was going to polish. I took everything I learned from watching Mike's (along with Chemical Guys and Larry Kosilla) how-to videos & jumped right in. Everything went just about as I expected it would except for the fact that the excess polish was incredibly difficult to remove. Is this indicative of a typical rookie mistake? Too much product? Not enough product? Worked it in too long? Didn't work it in long enough? The paint temp may have been just a little warm - certainly not hot to the touch.

Any advice for what I can do when I tackle the whole car after I get it back from the shop?

Pureshine
03-09-2013, 02:19 PM
To much polish will be hard to remove. You only need about 3 pea size drops.

VroomVroom
03-09-2013, 02:37 PM
^ Jawol. Definitely my first guess. Second would be that you didn't work it long enough. Good luck with the repair effort.

arjo.reich
03-09-2013, 02:40 PM
And if it's real hard, rubbing a little fresh polish on it with a microfiber applicator by hand will loosen it up as it dissolves back into the fresh polish.

Lucky Joe,
Wannabe Detailer

Sent from my HTC DNA

Old Tiger
03-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Optimum No Rinnse at Detail Spray mix or Ultima Waterless Wash + will remove excess polish. I suspect you overapplied. I have no experience with GG polishes.

spiralout462
03-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Maybe this is a reason why Griot's polishes are hardly ever mentioned here?

dougsrt
03-09-2013, 04:18 PM
I use GG polish 3 works well for me if you are having trouble removing it try misting water on the dry polish and a clean mf .

ihaveacamaro
03-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Real quickly run the buffer with new polish over the area with old polish. Immediately wipe the polish off. Should come off no problem.

john b
03-09-2013, 05:37 PM
take your time and eventually you will find the sweet spot with the polish.fwit it easier to add product vs haveing to much on.hope that helps

Conway9
03-10-2013, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll give it another shot once I get it back from the body shop.

Bunky
03-10-2013, 06:19 PM
I suspect you over primed the pad.