PDA

View Full Version : Need to update my first gen Porter cable 7424

tguil
03-09-2013, 11:52 AM
I've reviewed Mike's article on updating a 7424...How to MAXIMIZE your DA Polisher. It's time to update my ten year old pc that is still working just fine.

I already use a five inch backing plate. Now about the pads. I'm thinking 5.5 inch Lake Country flat Yellow, Orange, and White pads. I don't need a new finishing pad. Then for the serious correction, a pack of Meguiar's five inch Microfiber Cutting Discs and the Correction Compound that goes with these discs.

My usual "go to " products are Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish followed by Ultimate Wax. Any reason to get the System Correction Compound?

I detail only our two trucks. Each one four times year...sometimes less. No real need to by a bunch of new detailing stuff.

BobbyG
03-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Like you I have Porter Cable's 7424 first edition and it work to this day. I use only 5 1/2" pads or smaller on mine and couldn't ask for a nicer machine. I think I bought mine in 1999 so that put it around 14 years old.

If you don't mind me asking, if it still runs great then why are you considering replacing it?

Foam Polishing Pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-edge-pads.html)

Yellow Cutting 5.5 inch Foam Pad - Use this pad to apply compounds or polishes to remove severe oxidation, swirls, and scratches. It is the most aggressive and should only be used on oxidized and older finishes. Always follow this pad with an orange or white pad and a fine polish to refine the paint until it is smooth.

Orange Light Cutting 5.5 inch Foam Pad - Firm, high density foam for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.

White Polishing 5.5 inch Foam Pad - Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so its perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

Gray Finishing 5.5 inch Foam Pad - Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.

Blue Finessing 5.5 inch Foam Pad – Flat pad has soft composition for applying glaze, finishing polish, sealants, and liquid waxes. Flat pad provides full contact with paint surface to minimize the pressure applied by the user.

tguil
03-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Bobby G.

I only now found out that I should be using the smaller pads on this pc. Duh. I have a bunch of six inch pads but several are finally wearing out after nine or ten years of use. I'll keep my present machine until the bearings fall out.

I also have a Makita rotary buffer, but I have never been all that sure about using it on good stuff. I'm one of these guys that if "enough is good, more is better" and that can cause problems with a rotary buffer. That's why I want to make my 7424 as effective as possible. (As an aside, a long time ago, I buffed through the single stage paint on Ford Bronco's hood using a 12 inch "Waxmaster" and a cotton bonnet.)

Have you had any experience with microfiber pads? Seems like they are the "latest and greatest".

Tom :cool:

ihaveacamaro
03-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Bobby G.

I only now found out that I should be using the smaller pads on this pc. Duh. I have a bunch of six inch pads but several are finally wearing out after nine or ten years of use. I'll keep my present machine until the bearings fall out.

I also have a Makita rotary buffer, but I have never been all that sure about using it on good stuff. I'm one of these guys that if "enough is good, more is better" and that can cause problems with a rotary buffer. That's why I want to make my 7424 as effective as possible. (As an aside, a long time ago, I buffed through the single stage paint on Ford Bronco's hood using a 12 inch "Waxmaster" and a cotton bonnet.)

Have you had any experience with microfiber pads? Seems like they are the "latest and greatest".

If you're just doing your cars, I see no reason for you to spend money to get those pads.

Those are for heavy defect removal and if you do your cars 4 times a year, then you probably have little to no defects.

They are very useful pads on swirl city cars though :)

tguil
03-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Might make more sense just to buy a new 5.5 foam cutting pad and a 5.5 microfiber cutting pad for when there are those times I need to get more bite for correction...as in light scratches etc.

I rarely even need to use polish. Both of our trucks are white and are garaged every night. One is garaged most of the day. Both trucks are carefully hand-washed as needed. Meguiar's ColorX usually has enough cut. I have't used my rotary buffer since I quit buying black trucks.

I've used both Lake Country and Meguiar's foam pads. Which company has the better microfibre pads/discs? Autogeek sells both.

spiralout462
03-09-2013, 02:52 PM
I'm not sure if you will need yellow and orange pads. Orange is the most aggressive I use. Have you looked at the 5.5" Hydrotech pads? Alot of people use them instead of the regular flats. I like the fact you only have three colors to keep track of.

Rsurfer
03-09-2013, 02:54 PM
I'm not sure if you will need yellow and orange pads. Orange is the most aggressive I use. Have you looked at the 5.5" Hydrotech pads? Alot of people use them instead of the regular flats. I like the fact you only have three colors to keep track of.
:iagree:And they correct and finish great.

tguil
03-09-2013, 04:09 PM
I'll check them out. Any suggestions on the microfiber pads?

Applejacks
03-12-2013, 01:36 PM
I have an older one too my old original backing plate served me well till about 2 weeks ago. Lasted about 7 yrs. Looks like a little cake lol

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using AG Online

spiralout462
03-12-2013, 01:42 PM
I have an older one too my old original backing plate served me well till about 2 weeks ago. Lasted about 7 yrs. Looks like a little cake lol

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using AG Online

WOW! That thing doesn't owe you anything...

tguil
03-16-2013, 01:29 PM
I'm still working on upgrading my "stuff".

I had never thought all that much about rotation on my 7424 until I started going through the various threads on the subject. My pc always worked for me and when it didn't, I used my Makita rotary buffer. Detailing for me is not a business. So I do not use my rotary all that much. (I have a "heathy" respect for it.) I polish paint because I like my truck and bikes to look good and for that my pc has served me well.

Now about this rotation thing....I had to do some minor polishing on on of my trucks and for the first time I marked the backing plate on my pc to keep track of the rotation. I was using a 6-inch foam polishing pad at speed 5 and Meg's Ultimate Compound. It took very little pressure to stop the rotation. However, the machine didn't bog down. Nor did it seem to be working hard.

Right now the 7424XP's are on sale (and I'm sure they will be again). Will these newer machines rotate better under pressure? If so how much better? I know they have a little bigger motor. How does this larger motor effect the rotation of these spindle buffers.

I did order some smaller/thinner pads and some microfiber pads for my present pc. Probably should check them out before parting with the bucks on a new machine.

tguil
03-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Update:

Tried Meguiar's 5" microfiber discs and Lake Country 5.5 flat pads. I'm still not getting much pad rotation. The machine is not bogging down in the least...plenty of power. It has the counter weight for 6" pads.

What next?

swanicyouth
03-19-2013, 06:34 PM
I was in the exact same boat as you. I had a 7424 original. While I did learn how to use it effectively w/ 5" pads, I wanted something new. I upgraded to a Griots and the difference is like night and day. That machine spins 6.5" pads no problem.

In fact, a lot of times I find myself dialing the speed down to 4. While everyone is talking about Rupes, a GG6 is probably a lot better for us hobbyist. I say this because of the price, power, and, and versatility. You can use a Griots with anytime backing plate, which means you can use any pad from 3" to 6.5" no problem.

I spend a lot of time using 3-4" pads, so this is a huge plus. The machine is cheap and comes with a life time warranty. Backing plates are universal and also cheap.

While you can effectively use a 7424 with 5" pads, if you are looking for something new, I would looks at a GG6