PDA

View Full Version : rattle can paint for plastic chrome grille

poweraid
03-08-2013, 10:19 PM
I'd like to paint my plastic chrome grille black . there is " plastic paint " that I am seeing at local hardware stores . those of you who have done this . is there a brand / type I should or shouldn't get ? what kind of prep work is needed before painting ? does it fade ? does it stick well to use pressure washer on it ? clear coat it or anything like that ? any help appreciated , I'll be tackling this within a month . thanks

cartman57
03-08-2013, 10:36 PM
I've used self etching primer first on plastic pieces or try plastidip to see if you like the look.

Caminoracer
03-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Sounds like you're looking for Plastidip. Plasti-Dip on my Paint (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/60598-plasti-dip-my-paint.html)
I've had a good experience with it. Check out the videos and forum at DipYourCar.com (https://www.dipyourcar.com/) it's a great resource for more info about "dipping."

Dustin

VroomVroom
03-09-2013, 01:35 PM
I've used self etching primer first on plastic pieces or try plastidip to see if you like the look.
Assuming you're *not* looking for the dipped look, the etching primer is a must. However, even it must have something to stick to. I recommend starting with some 0000 steel wool. This will leave the 'chrome' looking very hazy, but that's a good thing. Two coats of the primer should give you the base for your color coat.

FYI/FWIW/YMMV, etc.... over the years I've found that DIY efforts, especially on large pieces, just don't look all that good. The conditions have to be perfect, and you have to manage the spray can really well. At that, the durability - especially on grilles and pieces that see road grime - isn't very strong.

I don't want to prevent you from trying - these efforts can be a lot of fun. If you can work in a clean area, free of wind, dust, debris, etc, you already have a head start. If you have a good heat source to bake/harden the finish, even better. Just make sure you manage your expectations well... Good luck.

Larry A
03-09-2013, 10:51 PM
If your useing Chrome Paint use flat black first . It seems that useing flat black as a base coat makes the finish Chrome Paint look better . Why! I do not know , but it seems to work.

Jomax
03-09-2013, 11:15 PM
I would scuff the chrome with 800grit sand paper then 1000, then 1500. After, three LIGHT coats of primer, then 5-6 LIGHT coats of Single stage black paint.