PDA

View Full Version : Distilled white vinegar for microfibers.

DUDE007
03-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Hi, all.

I've heard quite a lot on people using distilled white vinegar for breaking down the detergent left in the microfiber towel. I tried this and i don't think it works.......i hand wash my towels in the sink so i was wondering how much vinegar should i use? and do i need to let it soak for sometime? And do i need to rinse out the vinegar before drying?

I know there are many threads on this but i'd appreciate some help.
Thanks.

swanicyouth
03-08-2013, 12:18 PM
I as 3 or 4 glugs to the washer from a 3 gallon bottle. Towels seem to come up nice. Detailers didn't invent this. It's an old time thing as a natural fabric softener.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Dont bother washing them in the sink. Use a dedicated mf detergent in the washing machine on the hot warm cycle and then let the machine run its cycle. After the machine stops add vinegar to the rinse cycle and let it run another rinse cycle.

I use a half cup of vinegar for a half sized load and a full cup for a full load. After the second rinse put them in the dryer on very low heat and let it run the full cycle.

Believe me, your towels will be much softer.

hondajake
03-10-2013, 09:52 AM
I do this because I was disappointed with the results of microfiber detergents. I didn't think the special MF soaps were really doing anything.

We already make our own all natural laundry soap, so I figured I would try Borax with some vingear and my towels came out way cleaner than they did with special soap. I use about 2 cups of vingear and about 1/2 cup of borax.

GS2011
03-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Dont bother washing them in the sink. Use a dedicated mf detergent in the washing machine on the hot warm cycle and then let the machine run its cycle. After the machine stops add vinegar to the rinse cycle and let it run another rinse cycle.

I use a half cup of vinegar for a half sized load and a full cup for a full load. After the second rinse put them in the dryer on very low heat and let it run the full cycle.

Believe me, your towels will be much softer.

:iagree:I use BF mf cleaner, then add the amounts of vinegar above to the rinse cycle.

DUDE007
03-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Time flies when you're not having fun or is it the other way around?

Guys, the washing machine at home can't do small loads; i wash (by hand) a washmitt, drying towel and waxing pad and cloth. Thats a pretty small load and i don't mind washing by hand. And the washing machine is used daily so its bound to have left over softners/lint from clothes washed. When i rinse by hand the bubbles take a lot of rinsing to reduce (i believe they're called suds?). Are the bubbles/suds an indicator of leftover detergent? Oh yeah, thats reminds me, the detergent says "Long lasting rich suds".
If so, how much vinegar should i put in half a gallon of water to neutralize the detergent(its pretty mild)? How long should i leave the mixture it in a bucket?

P.S: How do y'all find Woolite for general purpose cleaning of mf towels? What style packing of woolite do you use?

WJinLV
03-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Time flies when you're not having fun or is it the other way around?

P.S: How do y'all find Woolite for general purpose cleaning of mf towels? What style packing of woolite do you use?

I use woolite by hand in the utility sink and it works great. Any type will do, they just have different fragrances. Hand dry towels then give them a shake when dry to re-fluff. Cheap and it works.

runrun411
03-26-2013, 12:34 PM
How many MF towels would make a so-called full load?

BrutalNoodle
03-26-2013, 12:49 PM
I've always ended up with 25-30 mf towels per wash. Each wash I would use 3oz to 4oz of Charlie's Soap with 1 cup of white vinegar in the rinse cycle.

DUDE007
03-29-2013, 11:37 AM
I use woolite by hand in the utility sink and it works great. Any type will do, they just have different fragrances. Hand dry towels then give them a shake when dry to re-fluff. Cheap and it works.

Hmm...well i wanted one without any softners, brightners etc. How about this (http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/ocado-compare-prices/laundry/woolite_complete_gel_17_washes_680ml.html) one? What dilution do you use for general purpose cleaning i.e wash mitts, interior cleaning mf's? Oh and is it clean rinsing or do you feel the need to use some distilled white vinegar while rinsing?

FUNX650
03-29-2013, 11:57 AM
How about this (http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/ocado-compare-prices/laundry/woolite_complete_gel_17_washes_680ml.html) one?

That must be a "new" Woolite...
Don't know if it's even available in the USA as of now...
If it was, I might just give it a spin.

:dunno:

Bob

Bunky
03-29-2013, 03:51 PM
I have used woolite. I felt microfiber cleaner worked as well or better but I have not it in a few years.

cardaddy
03-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Don't know how small is "small" in your washer. Typically the old style washers have a set level they stop at when filling. It's possible though to let them fill to where you want, pull the knob to stop the flow, then turn it to the wash cycle and push it back in and it'll take off as if it were 'full'. (Either that, or just turn the knob without pulling it.)

Ours is some fancy deal that hardly puts any water in. It measures the weight of the load, does some spinning of the agitator (it's a short agitator too) back and forth, then spins the drum back and forth and finally starts putting water in. It'll stop before the cloth is covered!

In fact... if I want more water in it, I have to WET the towels first to provide more weight, thus 'fooling' the washer into thinking it has a larger load. ;)

When it's done, upon opening the lid it'll transmit (via serial cable) to the dryer what it *thinks* it needs to dry the load it just washed. Does a pretty darned good job too. ;)

DUDE007
04-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Don't know how small is "small" in your washer. Typically the old style washers have a set level they stop at when filling. It's possible though to let them fill to where you want, pull the knob to stop the flow, then turn it to the wash cycle and push it back in and it'll take off as if it were 'full'. (Either that, or just turn the knob without pulling it.)

Ours is some fancy deal that hardly puts any water in. It measures the weight of the load, does some spinning of the agitator (it's a short agitator too) back and forth, then spins the drum back and forth and finally starts putting water in. It'll stop before the cloth is covered!

In fact... if I want more water in it, I have to WET the towels first to provide more weight, thus 'fooling' the washer into thinking it has a larger load. ;)

When it's done, upon opening the lid it'll transmit (via serial cable) to the dryer what it *thinks* it needs to dry the load it just washed. Does a pretty darned good job too. ;)

I think i'll stick to hand washing as what i'm washing is barely any load. What you did there was pretty smart :P. If i ever get that kind of washer i'm gonna try what you did.

akj
04-03-2013, 12:02 PM
I read this thread the other day and decided to give a few things a try I read.
I hand washed using "the 2 bucket method" ha. I had one bucket with half a cup of borax and a little less than 1/4 cup vinegar then the other bucket (my rinse bucket) with distilled what're and less than 1/4 oz vinegar. I washed small loads of only 10 to 15 towels at a time and let them dry in the sun. They all came our rather well. A good bit softer than the ones I washed in the machine.

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online