PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions about best product for gentle removal of new car shipment plastic residue.

NLS8520
03-08-2013, 02:35 AM
Hello,

I am about to place an order on a Subaru vehicle and I do not want them to touch the car when it arrives. Specifically what is the best product to remove the plastic protective residue gently and safely?

Second question is while attempting to research this I stumbled on a very old thread on autopia, (12 years!)

http://http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/3403-new-car-shipping-protection.html

Stating that Subaru cars were shipped with some form of synthetic coating that is best removed by the dealer. Anyone have any knowledge if this is still a practice all these years later?

Forgive me if it is not allowed to post links from an outside website, I will remove that portion if that is not allowed. Just trying to get all of my products ordered for the arrival of the new car, thanks in advance.

musicman66
03-08-2013, 04:04 AM
I work at a subaru dealer and there is no coating on the cars whatsoever. There is just the shipping tape. May I ask what subaru you are getting and color?

Sent from my Samsung GS3

NLS8520
03-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Thanks for taking the time to answer musicman. Do you know what product the staff uses to remove the shipping tape? I am looking into ordering a BRZ, color wise I am torn between the World Rally Blue and the Crystal Black Silica.

ShaunD
03-08-2013, 05:05 PM
I would recommend TarX if you are planning on order online. Otherwise, otc you can use Stoner's Tarminator, 3M adhesive remover, Goo Gone, and product called Oops! that was off the market for awhile but just saw it at pepboys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online

Pureshine
03-08-2013, 05:09 PM
If you can wait till next year there is an STI version coming out with a lot more horse.

dsg03gt
03-08-2013, 05:13 PM
If you can wait till next year there is an STI version coming out with a lot more horse.

Pricing??

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

ShaunD
03-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Maybe 30 more hp. I would wait either way because I'm sure you will be able to negotiate a base BRZ cheaper with a STI version available. Plus they might have worked out all the kinks/TSBs by then as well.
I think unless they offer more the cosmetic differences and 30 more hp, I would just get a base BRZ and spend the money saved on making it custom to me.
As far as new car delivery, I don't recall adhesive being an issue when I detailed/Opti-coated an FR-S. To prep it and remove an adhesive I did a wash with CG citrus wash&gloss and used TarX and TRIX. Just be sure to keep any tar/adhesive remover off the window seals and weather gaskets, or you may get some spotting.
Tough chose on colors. When I was picking out my STi in '05, I was really torn between WR Blue and obsidian black. You can't go wrong with gold wheels on either though.:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online