PDA

View Full Version : Zinc plating

Circa40
03-07-2013, 12:38 PM
I had my brake calipers/rotors gold zinc plated about a year ago. The calipers are beginning to lose its luster and the rotors are beginning to rust.

The lack of durability is probably my fault. I managed to abrade through much of the plating by polishing everything with opt metal polish and p21s metal soap in the course of this past year.

I am thinking having them re-plated. In the future, are they any polish and/sealants that will brighten the surface with abrading the zinc plating?

Setec Astronomy
03-07-2013, 12:54 PM
I doubt your polishing had much to do with the failure of the plating. Zinc isn't a very durable plating for steel/iron. I realize you're in CA which means you don't have much to choose from in plating houses, have you thought about a nickel plate? It will be shiny, unlike the zinc, unless you have the parts bead blasted to a satin finish beforehand. Of course, nickel on steel/iron isn't going to hold up that well either, especially if you are using wheel cleaners. You could go with paint or powdercoat, too.

Circa40
03-07-2013, 02:26 PM
I like the look of the gold zinc. I think if I do have them re-plated I might spray paint them clear with high heat paint

tv73841
07-02-2014, 09:33 AM
Dekalb metal’s zinc nickel plating (http://www.dekalbmetal.com/products/zinc-nickel-plating/index.html) provides best corrosion resistance in the industry.

PiPUK
07-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Just make sure to take caution with your wash products. Acid and non-acid (alkaline, caustic in particular) products will both damage zinc finishes.