PDA

View Full Version : What Camera do you guys use?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

fenderpicks
03-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Hey guys, im interested in what kind of camera do you guys use.

BECAUSE whenever i tried to capture defects with my sony cyber shot digital camera, i can never capture the defects!! Just bright flash and thats it.

I dont know anyone that has photography knowledge in reality.... so my gf suggested that maybe you guys are using "DSLR Cameras"

So im trying to see if it is my DIGITAL camera not capable to capturing defects, or i just dont know how to get the angle correctly....

M0nk3y
03-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Usually in order to correctly capture the defects you need manual focus.

When you're looking at the paint with your camera, and you see your reflection...the camera automatically focuses on your reflection (which is 2x the distance you want) and that's why you miss the defects and get a nice picture of yourself :)

I use a Nikon D3100: 18-55mm Kit lens, 35mm prime, 50mm prime, and 70-200mm lens

dpscoupe
03-06-2013, 09:54 PM
I was having the same issue with my Samsung point & shoot. My wife bought a DSLR last year & it is MUCH more capable of capturing the fine details. BTW, its a Nikon D5100

Chris's FX4
03-06-2013, 09:55 PM
I think the flash can't be perpendicular to the defect you are trying to show relative to the camera lens, somewhere along those terms, from what I've found at least anyways. You ever try just turning the flash off and using a flashlight to light up the spot at an angle? Also, placing you finger or a small piece of tape/object near the defect will allow the camera to focus better.

I have a Sony Alpha Nex-5N.

fenderpicks
03-06-2013, 10:43 PM
I have tried turning on and off my flash to try capture defect and i had a flashlight on my other hand as light source. And i still couldnt capture the defect....

Im planning on getting a sony DSLR... since i have a financing card with them

JSou
03-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Using a Canon T3i. Try to find local deals on craigslist.

HellaBroke
03-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Cannon xti, 70-200 f2.8, 50mm f1.4, and a few others
And the ever handy always in the car cannon sx210is 14x optical zoom f3.1-5.9. Best point and shoot ever! Think they stopped selling them though so ill be sol if I drop this one! :(

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AG Online

RaskyR1
03-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Just picked up a Nikon D600, Tamron 28-75mm 2.8, Tamron 70-300mm

It's all about lighting when trying to capture defects IMO.

FYI. I have a Nikon D7000 with 18-105 kit lens I'm looking to unload. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SANTA3013
03-06-2013, 11:38 PM
I use the camera on my iPad.

fenderpicks
03-06-2013, 11:44 PM
looks like i really need to get a dslr lol

HellaBroke
03-07-2013, 08:54 AM
If you get a good point and shoot you can produce good photos of swirls as well it just takes time getting to learn the camera. A good inbetween is that new cannon g1 thats going to be my next photography toy. Slr lenss with portability of point and shoot. Only down dall I see is is battery life with image stability lenses...
Start playing with your camera in manual mode see what you can get... photographys is almost as bad if not worse than detailing when you start getting into nice glass with dslrs... so tread careful I recommend getting your wife into photography to ease the justification of fancy camera toys hahahaha

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AG Online

Gunslinger
03-07-2013, 09:02 AM
For convenience I'll use a Panasonic Lumix. It's easy to carry and takes great photos.

For more serious photos and when more versatility is needed, I use my Canon 60D. Anyone would be hard pressed to find a better tool for photography for anything but truly professional work.

JSou
03-07-2013, 09:37 AM
I wanted to have the option to shoot HQ videos which is what lead me to buy the T3i.

vegas911gts
03-07-2013, 10:05 AM
panny lx5. It's pretty good for a point and shoot. It can shoot RAW. I thought about getting a dslr several times before, but I know I would use it less because of all of the lenses and bulk that I would have to lug around. But it would be great if I had one so that my gf could take pics of me at track days.

mackey
03-07-2013, 10:31 AM
amazon is/was having a sale on the 5d mk iii. body only is 3k lol.

anyway, id try to learn the functions of your p&s. just like with detailing, technique overrides tool.

But it would be great if I had one so that my gf could take pics of me at track days.i wouldnt get SLR specifically for that purpose unless she knows what shes doing and has the access. guarantee unless youre willing to spend big bucks on lenses, youll look like an ant or itll be blurry.