PDA

View Full Version : What did I do wrong? griots D/A

Pages : [1] 2

RandyD
03-06-2013, 09:31 PM
I started to apply menzerna powerlock on my car using my relatively new griots D/A orbital. I put no pressure on it to apply the sealant, the speed was 3. It suddenly started to jump up and down even when I started to try and stop it and apply a little pressure. Did I have too much product on. Something wrong with my D/A? Any idea what caused this?

swanicyouth
03-06-2013, 09:40 PM
"Jump up and down" ??? Could you provide a little more detail? Did the pad feel like it was "skipping"? What size pad & BP ?

Dr_Pain
03-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Did you prime the pad? Did you end up with scuffs as a result? You may have dry buffed!?!

thebamboo23
03-07-2013, 12:22 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/35292-how-prime-foam-pad-when-using-da-polisher.html

CM8 6MT
03-07-2013, 12:32 AM
I dont think "priming" the pad would be an issue. The OP stated he was merely applying Menz PL, a sealant on speed 3 with no pressure.

Usually when applying LSP's, especially sealants, I find it unecesary to "prime" my pad. Pad priming is usually done when using compounds and polishes. When dealing with higher DA speeds (5-6) with a cutting/polishing pad + abbrasives, you want the product to work instantly for you, and to have constant lubrication between paint & pad.

When applying waxes/sealants, not so much. You always want to use a soft foam pad designed for LSP's. Why would you prime a pad when using a wax/sealant when a little bit goes a long way?

Anyhow, I think the OP has other issues regarding his DA/Plate/Pad setup. More info would be helpful.

thebamboo23
03-07-2013, 12:36 AM
make sure the BP is locked in tight and snug, and make the the BP itself is in good condition

psynx
03-07-2013, 12:55 AM
Did you prime the pad? Did you end up with scuffs as a result? You may have dry buffed!?!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/35292-how-prime-foam-pad-when-using-da-polisher.html
:haha::bash::poke:

thebamboo23
03-07-2013, 01:35 AM
you guys are hilarious

Rsurfer
03-07-2013, 01:39 AM
I started to apply menzerna powerlock on my car using my relatively new griots D/A orbital. I put no pressure on it to apply the sealant, the speed was 3. It suddenly started to jump up and down even when I started to try and stop it and apply a little pressure. Did I have too much product on. Something wrong with my D/A? Any idea what caused this?

What pad were you using?

thebamboo23
03-07-2013, 01:42 AM
what if he was using a 5" pad on a 6" pb?:confused:

what would happen?

CM8 6MT
03-07-2013, 02:03 AM
what if he was using a 5" pad on a 6" pb?:confused:

what would happen?

Nothing, other than 1" diameter of backing plate sticking out and the high posibility of "kissing" your paint with it ;)

AutowerxDetailing
03-07-2013, 02:18 AM
I'm guessing lack of washer between backing plate and spindle...

RandyD
03-07-2013, 06:12 AM
I was using Griots 6" pad and the backing plate that came with the D/A which was made for this pad. The orbital worked fine for a few minutes so it had nothing to do with priming the pad. I will double check that everything is tight. I've used other D/A's and never had this. Just wondered if this Griots D/A has a problem. It's only the second time I am using it. However based on your answers it must be something I'm doing because this is not a common problem.

rwisejr
03-07-2013, 06:39 AM
To me it sounds like he is not using the correct pad for applying LSP's

RandyD
03-07-2013, 06:46 AM
I used a Griots red pad which is the right one for wax/sealant.