PDA

View Full Version : Drying - Why MF/Waffle over Chamois?

Pages : [1] 2

fdesalvo
03-06-2013, 04:13 PM
I bought a load of MF towels for drying along with a large Waffle Guzzler. Honestly, these are a bit of a PITA, as they can't really be wrung to the point where water marks go bye-bye. With a Chamois, this wasn't a problem and marring/scratching was never an issue, either. Now, I realize that we aren't back in the 70's, but are there benefits to using one over the next? This looks interesting: Water Sprite PlusŪ Chamois 4 sq. Feet (http://www.autogeek.net/watspritplus.html)

jlax2485
03-06-2013, 04:20 PM
I really like the guzzler that I have- it is really soft and absorbent. I can do an entire small car with one 20x40 towel.

And the fact that you can machine wash the MF towels. You cant really do that with a leather chamois.

Rsurfer
03-06-2013, 04:24 PM
I bought a load of MF towels for drying along with a large Waffle Guzzler. Honestly, these are a bit of a PITA, as they can't really be wrung to the point where water marks go bye-bye. With a Chamois, this wasn't a problem and marring/scratching was never an issue, either. Now, I realize that we aren't back in the 70's, but are there benefits to using one over the next?
If you flood on the final rinse, you won't have to wring out your Guzzler.

fdesalvo
03-06-2013, 04:26 PM
If you flood on the final rinse, you won't have to wring out your Guzzler.

Wish I could. I have to use a self-serve wash bay. I have to take my buckets and supplies with me. They have a high pressure washer, but no hose. Someday I'll take some pics of and review the Wolfgang Detailer's bag. That thing is amazing.

ScottB
03-06-2013, 04:47 PM
chamois have no knap ...

Rsurfer
03-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Wish I could. I have to use a self-serve wash bay. I have to take my buckets and supplies with me. They have a high pressure washer, but no hose. Someday I'll take some pics of and review the Wolfgang Detailer's bag. That thing is amazing.

Get a couple of waffle weave drying towels..they will wring out easily.

sixsix
03-06-2013, 05:08 PM
I've used the absorber chamois for for years and I like it a lot, never had any problems with them. Then about a year or so ago I bought the guzzler waffle weave from here and I must have gotten a bad one cause it is terrible at drying the car. It didn't work well from day one. I've tried every method of drying that I could and no matter what I would do it would just streak and push the water around. Now the other day I bought a non waffle weave mf drying towel and it works great, it's huge and was only 9 bucks. I still prefer the absorber for a traditional wash, but the mf works better with the rinseless wash.

Speed-Dude
03-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Like killrwheels said, a chamois has no nap. So any dirty that still managed to stay on the paint is rubbing all over the car, whereas an mf towel of waffle weave towel will hold the dirt within the nap and not scratch your paint.

jlax2485
03-06-2013, 05:52 PM
I've used the absorber chamois for for years and I like it a lot, never had any problems with them. Then about a year or so ago I bought the guzzler waffle weave from here and I must have gotten a bad one cause it is terrible at drying the car. It didn't work well from day one. I've tried every method of drying that I could and no matter what I would do it would just streak and push the water around. Now the other day I bought a non waffle weave mf drying towel and it works great, it's huge and was only 9 bucks. I still prefer the absorber for a traditional wash, but the mf works better with the rinseless wash.

That's so weird. I took mine straight out o the package and it worked wonderfully. I would maybe try washing it once or twice and see if it improves?

sixsix
03-06-2013, 05:55 PM
That's so weird. I took mine straight out o the package and it worked wonderfully. I would maybe try washing it once or twice and see if it improves?

Like I said I tried everything. I use it on glass with stoners foaming cleaner. Works great for that.

fdesalvo
03-06-2013, 05:56 PM

I just washed mine after its first and only use. I'll give it another whirl this w/e and see what's what.

RhetoricMixes
03-06-2013, 05:58 PM

A lot of times the waffle weave style towels will work better as they get wet. Try dunking it in water first, wring it out as much as you can and proceed to dry your car. It will seem weird at first but it always works.

KillaCam
03-06-2013, 06:27 PM
I prefer a leaf blower over both chamois and waffle weave.. No risk marring or scratching.

Rayaz
03-06-2013, 07:13 PM
I prefer a leaf blower over both chamois and waffle weave.. No risk marring or scratching.

Me too. I police up drips with the waffle weave (green). My main complaint with chamois is that they can't be washed. You almost always pick up some crud from the lower half of the car and I like the idea of washing it out before I use it again.

Of course, if you have to use a coin wash, power for a blower may be an issue.

buckets
03-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and am looking forward to trading car care secrets with you all.